NHL 2010-11 season thread

Whether it's football, basketball, hockey or tennis, share your love for the game in Forumosa's Sports Forum!

Re: NHL 2010-11 season thread

Postby k.k. » 11 Jun 2011, 10:58

Toe Save wrote:
k.k. wrote:Just curious Toe, you're such a Luongo hater and presumably not a Canucks fan, right? Who is your team? Got one?

I wanted to be a Canucks fan. Didn't take. Like baseball, I can't find that "Expos" passion for any one team. Maybe that's a result of all those years of fantasy play.

I hear you about the Expos. I was a huge fan, and didn't care much for the Jays back then. They are all I have in MLB now though.

It's going to be interesting for me this coming NHL season with 2 teams to cheer for again. I was an Islanders fan before the Jets were ever in the NHL, then had two teams, then one again after the Jets left in '96. With a team back in Winnipeg this fall though, it's double the pleasure. (mind you, the Isles haven't had a winning season in some time and the new Winnipeg team will have some growing pains too)
Forumosan avatar
k.k.
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

ORIGINAL POSTER
23 Recommends(s)
17 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 11 Jun 2011, 11:00

Five games, three shutouts. Non-shutout games -- Lou plays like a sieve and Tim gets caught picking daisies in OT. Strange games.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
55 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 11 Jun 2011, 15:20

Right then, new prediction.
Luongo gets his third shutout of the finals in Boston (would that be a record?), and Thomas gets MVP.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
55 Recognized(s)

Postby k.k. » 11 Jun 2011, 18:37

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see TT get the Conn Smythe as playoff MVP, even if the Canucks win the Cup. That last happened, the winner coming from the losing team, when Anaheim goalie JS Giguere won it in 2003 after the Devils hoisted Lord Stanley's mug. Hasek did it before him, and Hextall before him. Names eh!
Forumosan avatar
k.k.

ORIGINAL POSTER
23 Recommends(s)
17 Recognized(s)

Postby lostinasia » 11 Jun 2011, 19:58

Thank goodness the game today was actually fun to watch, and both teams showed up.

Poor Burrows (said ironically). The Bruins could launch tag team flying bodyslams on the guy, and the refs would still think he's diving. Not that he's done anything to deserve that reputation!

k.k. wrote:It wouldn't surprise me at all to see TT get the Conn Smythe as playoff MVP, even if the Canucks win the Cup.

Yeah, Thomas getting MVP seems more and more likely - and it couldn't go to a better guy. Despite his allegiance to the Dark Side, I've loved his play and his manner off the ice as well. Even if Luongo gets another shut out, there's no way he can (or should) win the Conn Smythe after games 3 and 4 of this series. I figure the only Canucks contender at this point would be Kesler after a (very hypothetical!) three or four point night to win either game 6 or 7 - or maybe the same with Daniel Sedin, who's tallied more points I think, but whose play hasn't been as key as Kesler's.

So which Canucks team will show up in the next game? Kesler seemed to be returning to form today - the extra day off will hopefully help. Interesting how in the third period the second and third lines were getting way more ice time than the Sedin line.

And has any team ever won the finals despite being so badly outscored overall? Is it 14-6 now? Top offense in the league, yet six goals in five games.

And on Tuesday morning I can't watch the game. :raspberry: Last week, I was vaguely hoping that the Canucks would split in Boston, so they could win at home in a game I could watch. I am most definitely NOT hoping for that this time, even though I'm free Thursday morning. I hope they play their damndest and surprise everyone by winning in Boston.
Forumosan avatar
lostinasia
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

30 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby baberenglish » 12 Jun 2011, 09:07

funny thing about these playoffs.....funny stats, 5 games 14-6 in goals, shutouts galore, of course the story will be the goalies...but in my mind, neither goalie is standing on their head like gigere or hextall did in years past...but who else would be deserving of the conn smythe....I don't know....there hasn't been one player that has stood out, both teams are playing pretty tight...
Forumosan avatar
baberenglish
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

13 Recognized(s)

Postby navillus » 13 Jun 2011, 01:25

Though it's 3-2 in games, that 14-6 goals in favour of the Bruins has to keep us poor saps cheering for Vancouver pretty nervous, more so if you're a die hard Canucks fan and not just a Leafs fan hopping on the bandwagon. The fact that Vancouver hat not scored more than one goal in four of five games literally (I know, I take sports too seriously)scares me. The offence needs to turn it up, the Sedins need to play like they did against Nashville or this might not happen.

On a side note, with the Jets moving their farm team to St. John's I'm likely to change my colours in the near future.
"collective madness is called sanity"
Paulo Coelho, Veronika Decides to Die
Forumosan avatar
navillus
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby k.k. » 13 Jun 2011, 08:13

navillus wrote:On a side note, with the Jets moving their farm team to St. John's I'm likely to change my colours in the near future.

:thumbsup:
Forumosan avatar
k.k.

ORIGINAL POSTER
23 Recommends(s)
17 Recognized(s)

Postby lostinasia » 13 Jun 2011, 08:20

navillus wrote:Though it's 3-2 in games, that 14-6 goals in favour of the Bruins has to keep us poor saps cheering for Vancouver pretty nervous, more so if you're a die hard Canucks fan and not just a Leafs fan hopping on the bandwagon. The fact that Vancouver hat not scored more than one goal in four of five games literally (I know, I take sports too seriously) scares me. The offence needs to turn it up, the Sedins need to play like they did against Nashville or this might not happen.

Weird eh? Canucks are ahead 3-2, and for some reason I feel like they're currently the underdog.

Wasn't it more Kesler against Nashville? - the Sedins almost disappeared in that series, IIRC. It was against San Jose, and early in the Chicago series, when they racked up points.
Forumosan avatar
lostinasia

30 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby Adam_CLO » 13 Jun 2011, 11:08

Just watched the NBA finals end. Seemed quite anti climatic compared to awarding of the Stanley Cup - maybe because it was the road team winning. I don't like that the trophy can be held in one hand. :)

On a side note, how big will the Stanley Cup get 20 years from now, if they have to keep adding rings to it to fill in new names?
Forumosan avatar
Adam_CLO
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

24 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Sports