Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Does the foreign dad have any right?

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Does the foreign dad have any right?

Postby TpeBelle » 30 Jun 2003, 19:45


Can anybody please help me to understand some legal stuff? Here is the picture: A kid is born in to TWN mom who has the kid out of wedlock from a foreign dad. Does the foreigner have any rights on thd kid? Such as:

1. To have his name on the kid's Birth Certificate.
2. To apply for the kid's foreign passport.
3. Custody of the kid.
4. Take the kid with him to his country of origin.

Again, the kid's parents are NOT married. I hope somebody can help cause this is driving me nuts.


Postby mfaass » 01 Jul 2003, 10:36

You better ask Richard Hartzell. You definitely have rights, I've no idea what they are. My daughter has my last name on her birth certificate, I think she had to by law. You can also get her/him a passport for your home country but you'll need to find out what documents from them. As for custody, if you can't come up with an agreement I would assume you'll have to go to court and fight it out. But again, ask Hartzell. That's the best advice.
My Chinese isn't getting better, and my English is getting worse.
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Posts: 147
Joined: 26 Aug 2002, 23:03
Location: Kaohsiung

Postby Hartzell » 01 Jul 2003, 15:34

Sounds like it could be rather complicated. Perhaps you should make an appointment and we could talk about it in detail . . . . . . .
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
User avatar
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Posts: 2348
Joined: 31 Oct 2000, 17:01
Location: Nei Hu District, Taipei, Taiwan

Postby TpeBelle » 02 Jul 2003, 01:17

Hi Mr. Hartzell.

I would be glad to sit down with you to talk about my problem if my live in foreign partner would have any rights to our kid. Please let me know if we can meet this Friday or Saturday. Thank you for your cooperation in advance. I look forward to meet you.

Belle. :)

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Marriage

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests