Bringing the Mother-In-Law in Taiwan

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Bringing the Mother-In-Law in Taiwan

Postby dasaint » 28 Oct 2011, 17:38

I am a Naturalized Taiwan Citizen with a foreign wife and two kids. Unfortunately, I'm already an orphan so my kids are missing out on the joys of having a grand parent. Would it be possible to bring over to Taiwan my mother-in-law and be granted a resident visa so she can live with us? Has anyone ever done this or had any experience of sort? Thanks!
I'm back!
Forumosan avatar
dasaint
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
8 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Re: Bringing the Mother-In-Law in Taiwan

Postby lupillus » 28 Oct 2011, 18:32

No. She can get a visitation visa, but not a family sponsored ARC. If you want her to stay more than a few months out of the year, she may have to "marry" a Taiwanese citizen.

What country does she hold citizenship in?
I am soft scientist and you are hard scientist. In the middle is the angry thin man.
lupillus
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

5 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby dasaint » 28 Oct 2011, 21:30

lupillus wrote:No. She can get a visitation visa, but not a family sponsored ARC. If you want her to stay more than a few months out of the year, she may have to "marry" a Taiwanese citizen.

Philippine citizen. When I got my citizenship, I was told by the Household Registration Office that I could bring my parents over to live with me if I wanted. Unfortunately they are both dead.
I'm back!
Forumosan avatar
dasaint

ORIGINAL POSTER
8 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 29 Oct 2011, 21:27

dasaint wrote:
lupillus wrote:No. She can get a visitation visa, but not a family sponsored ARC. If you want her to stay more than a few months out of the year, she may have to "marry" a Taiwanese citizen.

Philippine citizen. When I got my citizenship, I was told by the Household Registration Office that I could bring my parents over to live with me if I wanted. Unfortunately they are both dead.

What if she adopted you?

But I think she should be able to come on yearly visitation visas, so it's just a once-yearly visa run.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 29 Oct 2011, 21:34

You can usually extend visas if you have family members here. My sister stayed with us for six months, renewing her visa twice.

Also:

Parents of foreign spouses may apply for family-based visitor visa to the cousulates and missions of R.O.C. abroad.

http://taiwanwhatsup.immigration.gov.tw ... 29989&mp=2
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/

This post was recommended by dasaint (31 Oct 2011, 08:39)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

703 Recognized(s)

Postby dasaint » 31 Oct 2011, 08:43

Muzha Man wrote:You can usually extend visas if you have family members here. My sister stayed with us for six months, renewing her visa twice.

Also:

Parents of foreign spouses may apply for family-based visitor visa to the cousulates and missions of R.O.C. abroad.

http://taiwanwhatsup.immigration.gov.tw ... 29989&mp=2

Thank you Muzha man. I was actually looking for that link! I am going to try and write a letter of appeal for a resident visa for my mother-in-law and I will keep you guys posted of any developments.
I'm back!
Forumosan avatar
dasaint

ORIGINAL POSTER
8 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 31 Oct 2011, 10:56

Good luck.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

703 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Marriage