Chinese name on Marriage Certificate

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Chinese name on Marriage Certificate

Postby kiwinick » 09 Jan 2012, 23:07

When marrying in Taiwan you are supposed to use your Chinese name. How does this appear on your marriage certificate? For instance if The marriage certificate only shows a Chinese name how will it ever be recognized outside of Taiwan? The clerk at the HHR office also recorded my NZ passport details, my concern is that outside of Taiwan the Chinese name used in Taiwan isn't legally recognized. Can anyone clarify this when pertaining to the Taiwanese marriage certificate?
kiwinick
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Chinese name on Marriage Certificate

Postby Tempo Gain » 09 Jan 2012, 23:10

When I got married, they provided an official English translation.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

331 Recommends(s)
325 Recognized(s)

Postby funkymonkey » 10 Jan 2012, 09:11

They gave us two marriage certificates in Chinese and two in English. I used my Chinese name on the Chinese ones and my English name on the English ones.
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

32 Recognized(s)

Postby Indiana » 10 Jan 2012, 11:49

Aren't marriages in Taiwan unrecognized by most countries anyway? Most people I know had to go through two ceremonies, one back in their home country, because of this.
Forumosan avatar
Indiana
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

5 Recommends(s)
39 Recognized(s)

Postby funkymonkey » 10 Jan 2012, 13:21

Indiana wrote:Aren't marriages in Taiwan unrecognized by most countries anyway? Most people I know had to go through two ceremonies, one back in their home country, because of this.

Really? I know a few people who wanted to do two ceremonies, but they didn't need to. I know Canada recognizes marriages in Taiwan. Which countries don't?
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey

32 Recognized(s)

Postby Indiana » 10 Jan 2012, 13:24

funkymonkey wrote:
Indiana wrote:Aren't marriages in Taiwan unrecognized by most countries anyway? Most people I know had to go through two ceremonies, one back in their home country, because of this.

Really? I know a few people who wanted to do two ceremonies, but they didn't need to. I know Canada recognizes marriages in Taiwan. Which countries don't?

I thought the US and UK didn't. Friends I have from both countries had to do another ceremony in their home country, but that was a good few years ago...maybe it has changed now.
Forumosan avatar
Indiana

5 Recommends(s)
39 Recognized(s)

Postby funkymonkey » 10 Jan 2012, 13:45

Indiana wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:

I thought the US and UK didn't. Friends I have from both countries had to do another ceremony in their home country, but that was a good few years ago...maybe it has changed now.

It must have changed. This is from the AIT website: "All U.S. states have their own laws concerning marriage and all states generally recognize marriages performed outside of their jurisdiction, provided that the marriage was in compliance with the laws of the place in which it was performed."

More info here: http://acs.ait.org.tw/marriage-info.html

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey

32 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 11 Jan 2012, 23:46

I always thought people did the two ceremonies to solve the family/friends issue?
tsukinodeynatsu

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Zla'od » 09 Sep 2012, 17:35

When you register your marriage with the city hall (or town hall, etc.), they will add a notation to the spouse's household registration listing your Chinese-character name, and then, in a note, your romanized name and passport number. I remember having to also sign a promise not to use any other Chinese name when dealing with this ministry. (The concern was apparently that I might commit bigamy without them catching me.) Anyway, this household record will serve as a record of your marriage after being printed out, translated, and the translation notarized.

The above is for people who marry in a banquet or church. If you marry in the city hall, I believe those forms are already bilingual Chinese / English.

For the posters who wondered whether marriages entered into in Taiwan are legal back home, the answer is almost certainly yes. (I do recall that Brits have some sort of technical difficulty getting these marriages acknowledged.)
“If a bodhisattva resides as a householder and there appears a woman who is clearly unbound to anyone, habituated to sexual indulgence, attracted to the bodhisattva and seeking sexual activities, the bodhisattva having seen this thinks, 'Do not make her mind upset, producing much misfortune. If she pursues her desire, she will obtain freedom. As expedient means [upaya] I will take her in and have her plant the roots for virtue, also having her abandon unwholesome karma. I will engage in impure activities [abrahma-carya] with a compassionate mind.' Even practising such defiled activities like this, there is nothing that is violated [precepts], and much merit will be produced." -- from the Yogācārabhūmi Śāstra

For even more saucy Buddhist scripture, see http://sdhammika.blogspot.tw/2010/08/st ... m-all.html
Zla'od
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

78 Recognized(s)

Postby kapitolinka » 08 Mar 2013, 11:22

Regardless whether it is the marriage certificate or any other document.
Other countries will recognize the documents issued in Taiwan if those countries signed Hague Convention on Abolishing the Requirement for Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents (1961).
I don't know how it works for other countries, but in my case, I have to verify any document issued in Taiwan for use in my country: first at notary, second - in Ministry of Foreign Affairs, third - in representative office of my country.
I got married in Taiwan (my husband and I are both foreigners). That's what I did with my marriage certificate. And it's recognized in my country now.
kapitolinka

In Taiwan since: 08 Sep 2005

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Marriage