Marriage and household registration questions

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Marriage and household registration questions

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 07 Apr 2012, 23:40

You might want to look into that more carefully, I'll ask but no-one's around for me to ask at the moment!

People talk about 過戶, which is signing a house (and the registration) from one person's name to another. For example, in my husband's family they own three houses - the head of house of one is their dad, another is his older brother, and another is his younger sister (we're signed onto his dad's registration). The way they talk about it the ownership of the houses are technically residing with the person signed onto the head of house (I.e. if they want to do anything with the house signed under the sister they need the sister's documents and stamp).

I've just pulled out our registration (I am the keeper :D ) and there's nothing about the owner of the house but only the owner of the registration. But the brother's apparently on our registration, which either means that the other house is in their aunt's name or that you can be registered in two places or that title is not connected to HR at all. So I'm completely and utterly confused, and advise you to go to the HR office and double check everything.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Rotalsnart » 09 Apr 2012, 11:16

tsukinodeynatsu wrote:You might want to look into that more carefully, I'll ask but no-one's around for me to ask at the moment!

People talk about 過戶, which is signing a house (and the registration) from one person's name to another. For example, in my husband's family they own three houses - the head of house of one is their dad, another is his older brother, and another is his younger sister (we're signed onto his dad's registration). The way they talk about it the ownership of the houses are technically residing with the person signed onto the head of house (I.e. if they want to do anything with the house signed under the sister they need the sister's documents and stamp).

I've just pulled out our registration (I am the keeper :D ) and there's nothing about the owner of the house but only the owner of the registration. But the brother's apparently on our registration, which either means that the other house is in their aunt's name or that you can be registered in two places or that title is not connected to HR at all. So I'm completely and utterly confused, and advise you to go to the HR office and double check everything.

Tsuki,

You're still confusing household registration with real estate title. There is no direct connection between these things. That is to say, there is absolutely no direct legal connection between 過戶 (transfer) of the title to an apartment and 戶籍登記 (household registration). That was never in question (until you raised the question).

My actual question in this thread is a bit more subtle: whether there may be any non-obvious but potential tax or inheritance implications relating to how household registration is set up. Still hoping others may chime in if they have any thoughts on that.
Rotalsnart
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

ORIGINAL POSTER
91 Recommends(s)
67 Recognized(s)

Postby spaint » 09 Apr 2012, 11:54

I have no ideas on the "head of household" question nor regarding inheritance and tax issues, but all other things being equal, I would choose your option 2, simply because it means that your household registration is in the town and district where you actually reside. If you were registered on her family's household registration and it was in another city altogether, you would find yourself ineligible for local benefits such as sports center usage, legal aid, aid with domestic abuse etc., while also being unable to use those found at your place of household registration. Plus your wife would actually be able to vote for someone who will represent her and the place where she lives (how's that for a radical concept?).
spaint
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

36 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby Rotalsnart » 09 Apr 2012, 12:02

spaint wrote:I have no ideas on the "head of household" question nor regarding inheritance and tax issues, but all other things being equal, I would choose your option 2, simply because it means that your household registration is in the town and district where you actually reside. If you were registered on her family's household registration and it was in another city altogether, you would find yourself ineligible for local benefits such as sports center usage, legal aid, aid with domestic abuse etc., while also being unable to use those found at your place of household registration. Plus your wife would actually be able to vote for someone who will represent her and the place where she lives (how's that for a radical concept?).

Spaint, These are good points in terms of my wife-to-be's eligibility for these things. I don't think they would apply to me personally because my APRC already lists my current address as my residence address. I don't think I would be legally required to change that even if I were to be listed in my wife's household registration at another address. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.)
Rotalsnart

ORIGINAL POSTER
91 Recommends(s)
67 Recognized(s)

Postby spaint » 09 Apr 2012, 13:02

That actually brings up another point I hadn't thought of.

Back when I was getting divorced, we still had the paper ARCs, and I had my Taipei address on the back as a "temporary" abode. Technically, I wasn't supposed to be separated from my wife, but the NIA allowed that a couple might be "temporarily" living apart.

Then, when my then soon-to-be ex assaulted me, bit me and then got her brother to call me and threaten me with assault charges, I went to a Taipei hospital to file a report of domestic abuse and I learned that I wasn't eligible for some kind of free service that Taipei residents were entitled to because my household registration was still in Taichung.

Can't remember much more than that I'm afraid, but I'd be very wary about placing myself in such a grey area if I were you.
spaint

36 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Marriage