Bringing fiance back to the U.S.

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Bringing fiance back to the U.S.

Postby Evzob » 14 Jun 2012, 01:41

Hi there,

My girlfriend (Taiwan citizen) and I (U.S. citizen) have been talking about getting married and moving to the U.S. together (or vice versa) for a long time, but we still haven't started the process.

We have plans with my family in the U.S. for August of this year. She has a tourist visa already, but we would really like to be able to stay for the long term starting in August. Unfortunately, it seems like it's too late for us to arrange this via marriage-related means, since we would be waiting on either the I-129F petition (for K-1 or K-3 visa) or the I-130 petition (for CR-1 or for getting married in the U.S. while she's on the tourist visa), both of which I'm hearing take more multiple months to process.

Is there any way for us to stay in the U.S. beyond the term of her visitor visa if we arrive this August? If not, are there other options besides returning to Taiwan for several months to get all the paperwork through?

Any advice or ideas are much appreciated! Thanks!

-Evan
Evzob
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Bringing fiance back to the U.S.

Postby Timabee » 14 Jun 2012, 03:16

Evan-
Have you looked into a Fiancee Visa? That is how my wife and I handled a similar situation. I don't remember how long we had to wait for the Fiancee Visa (USCIS Form DS-156) - might not fit in to your compressed timeframe.
Timabee
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

2 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby Evzob » 14 Jun 2012, 04:21

Yes, the fiancee visa is the K-1, which requires an I-129F petition. My impression from researching it is that the petition plus the visa itself will definitely be more than two months.
Evzob

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Evzob » 15 Jun 2012, 04:18

Okay, I have a new question.

If we get married in Taiwan while I am on a 60-day multiple-entry visitor visa, will I have any problems doing visa runs while waiting for our paperwork to go through for her to move to the U.S.?

I know that U.S. immigration gives foreigners a hard time if they visit while they have visa documents pending for marriage to an American (they're afraid you'll skip the process and just stay on your visitor visa). Does Taiwan have anything like that? Is there any chance that Taiwan immigration won't want me to enter on a visitor visa if I'm married to a Taiwanese person?
Evzob

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Marriage