[JFRV] No Work Permit Needed .... law Change (May 2003)

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Work permit needed for JFRV?

Postby Big Fluffy Matthew » 19 Mar 2004, 16:39

mixmaxtw wrote:thanx for the link. But it says, that you need a APRC... so that means minimum of 5 years. But I'm only married for 3 years, so I still need a work permit?
I'm asking because my work permit just expires this month and my company wants to apply a new one for me... I thought I don't need but they say I do.
No, you just need a JFRV (Joining family residence visa) to be able to work where you like.
Er.... thingy.
Forumosan avatar
Big Fluffy Matthew
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Bu Lai En » 24 Mar 2004, 22:27

I'm asking because my work permit just expires this month and my company wants to apply a new one for me... I thought I don't need but they say I do.

Right. The law says you don't need a work permit as long as you have a JFRV, but the Ministry of Education says you need one anyway (if you're a teacher). What can you do about it?

Brian
Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

15 Recognized(s)

Re: Work permit needed for JFRV?

Postby mixmaxtw » 29 Mar 2004, 15:12

Big Fluffy Matthew wrote:
mixmaxtw wrote:thanx for the link. But it says, that you need a APRC... so that means minimum of 5 years. But I'm only married for 3 years, so I still need a work permit?
No, you just need a JFRV (Joining family residence visa) to be able to work where you like.

Well, I got a more detailed answer now from my company's HR department:
In general it depends somehow on the company's revenue and size to determine how many foreigners they can hire. If you don't have a work permit based on Article 48, you might have bad luck if the quota is full already. As revenue and size constantly change, the quota will too.
The labor buro said, it's safer to get a work permit according to Article 51, and in that case I would need an Employer's based work permit. The personal work permit is only possible with an APRC.
Anyway , there is a lot of confusion about labor rights, as the government just shiftet the whole thing over to the labor department, or so...
So, still get a work permit until you have a personal one.
The only question is, if you have a work permit, does the quota regulation not apply any more??? And with a personal work permit?
Can anyone clearify this?
mixmaxtw
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Hartzell » 30 Mar 2004, 14:28

If you are married to a local Taiwan citizen and have residency rights, then you have unrestricted work rights under the ESA. Of course, quotas do not apply to such an employee as yourself, because you are not "counted" in any group of "work permit holding persons".
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at rwh.midway@gmail.com
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

19 Recognized(s)

Postby mixmaxtw » 30 Mar 2004, 18:10

Hartzell wrote:If you are married to a local Taiwan citizen and have residency rights, then you have unrestricted work rights under the ESA. Of course, quotas do not apply to such an employee as yourself, because you are not "counted" in any group of "work permit holding persons".

I am. And I have the JFRV, but not the APRC yet.
Can you please post me a link to a chinese document which states your post? It seems the officials at the labor department don't know about it... They say I apply to the Article 51 and thus need a work permit to be on the safe side.
Is "residency rights" refering to JFRV or APRC? They say it means APRC.
In which article is this clarified? :s
mixmaxtw

Postby Hartzell » 30 Mar 2004, 18:19

Residency rights are JFRV and an ARC based on marriage.
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at rwh.midway@gmail.com
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell

19 Recognized(s)

Postby scomargo » 31 Mar 2004, 08:25

Try checking out this page.

http://www.taiwanadvice.com/forms/worktai.htm

I can't vouch for the accuracy of it, but it'll get you started.
Forumosan avatar
scomargo
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

16 Recommends(s)
14 Recognized(s)

Postby mixmaxtw » 01 Apr 2004, 14:18

Hartzell wrote:Residency rights are JFRV and an ARC based on marriage.

Can you give me the law which states that? I want to have something to show my HR department.
Thanx.
mixmaxtw

Postby Bu Lai En » 01 Apr 2004, 22:10

If you are married to a local Taiwan citizen and have residency rights, then you have unrestricted work rights under the ESA.

Unless you want to work as an English teacher, because the MOE say you can't.

Brian
Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En

15 Recognized(s)

Postby Prototype » 07 Apr 2004, 15:07

The labor law is very clear about this matter. As long as you have JFRV and ARC based on JFRV (which means you have the residency rights in Taiwan), you can work in any job except the ones do need a specific certificate/permission such as doctors and lawyers. If MOFA or any other institution is not aware of the law or they do not want to follow the law, they should be the responsible ones from any consequences (I don't think there will be any). As long as you have the qualifications for the locals to work at buxibans or any other place, you should work without any problem also.
Mmm... :)
Forumosan avatar
Prototype
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Marriage