Gay Marriage in Taiwan?!?!

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Gay Marriage in Taiwan?!?!

Postby LittleBuddhaTW » 08 Sep 2003, 13:51

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ ... 2003066953

This is an interesting article from today's Taipei Times, talking about Chen Shui-bian's human rights bill, which it says includes a provision to legalize gay marriage. Does anyone think this will pass? In such a conservative society as Taiwan, I'm a bit doubtful, but if it did, I think it would definitely be a first in Asia, and a big step forward both for human rights in Taiwan and world-wide. I just hope that the new human rights legislation will also address many of the other problems that foreigners marrying Taiwanese face here, and then what about a gay couple adopting children? Or even a single gay man adopting children? Does anyone know if this will be addressed in the new law?
"Rude, vile pigs!" -- Elton John (screamed at the Taiwanese media in September 2004)
Forumosan avatar
LittleBuddhaTW
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby miso » 09 Sep 2003, 08:07

Sounds very unlikely to me, that such a law will pass in Taiwan. As far as I know homosexuality is not very accepted in Taiwan and most people still think of it as a sickness, that can be cured.
miso
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Postby gintaiwan » 13 Sep 2003, 02:51

Mesheel,
I don't know. Rumor has it that such a law is likely to be passed. We'll have to wait and see.

Little Budda,
Don't hold your breath. I'm assuming that it won't be that well organized. Adoption, immigration, and other issues will probably have been overlooked. haha! Just give them time, and I think that things will slowly work out for the best.

Greg
gintaiwan

Postby magnolia » 14 Sep 2003, 11:02

Rather conversely, Taiwan is the one place in Asia where a gay marriage bill COULD pass. It would be the kind of token nod to universal human rights that Taiwanese lawmakers love
Forumosan avatar
magnolia
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

10 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Vannyel » 09 Oct 2003, 19:10

Actually to win brownie points, Taiwan could simply recognize Canadian gay marriages.
Stating the obvious - The views expressed in this post are my own and should not be misconstrued as a personal attack. These views are based on my personal experiences, which, obviously (again), are not the same as yours.
Vannyel
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Vannyel » 09 Oct 2003, 19:12

Most people, Mesheel?
I guess it depends on where you live. Of course it also depends on whether you are Chinese (Taiwanese) or a foreigner...
Stating the obvious - The views expressed in this post are my own and should not be misconstrued as a personal attack. These views are based on my personal experiences, which, obviously (again), are not the same as yours.
Vannyel
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby magnolia » 28 Oct 2003, 11:15

"If the laws are approved by parliament, Taiwan would be the first in Asia to legalize marriages among people of the same sex."

Wouldn't that just be MARVELOUS!!! 8-)

http://www.etaiwannews.com/Taiwan/2003/ ... 303802.htm

TAIWAN JIA YOU! :D
Forumosan avatar
magnolia

10 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby scooter » 28 Oct 2003, 11:46

Yeah, saw that too. Although one Chinese paper (was it China Times) actually had a first-page headline that actually said "Gays Can Form Families
Forumosan avatar
scooter
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby formosa » 28 Oct 2003, 11:48

well, they will hammer out text of law now, and it will 5-10 years to pass the parliament here, first reading, second reading, third reading, and it will pass, but not before 2015 at the earliest. it's a good bill and a good law.

all people who love each other should be able to declare such love and live happily ever after. i support it 10000000000%

after all what would jesus do?

Jesus was gay himself.
formosa

Postby LittleBuddhaTW » 28 Oct 2003, 11:51

It's a great idea, and I support CSB totally on this one ... unfortunately I'm sure it will be bogged down and eventually defeated in the legislature by the much more conservative opposition (read: KMT and PFP). The only way for it to succeed would be for the gay community to get more organized and form a voting block to put pressure on the legislatures, and gay rights groups to get more vocal about it RIGHT NOW ... if it's going up before the legislature in December, it's time to start lobbying and pushing .....
"Rude, vile pigs!" -- Elton John (screamed at the Taiwanese media in September 2004)
Forumosan avatar
LittleBuddhaTW

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Marriage