Do we still have to marry overseas?

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Do we still have to marry overseas?

Postby w44566 » 11 Sep 2003, 20:00

In the latest postings Mr. H says that the ROC authorities now recognize local marriages...does this mean a foreign male can marry a Taiwanese woman in Taiwan and the marriage is legal (in other words, we don't have to be married in the foreigner's country to be considered married?)???
I have put off the trip back for the legal marriage for two years and due to this have been unable to apply for an OWP. If I get the single cert. from AIT, marry in Taiwan, get her household reg. take my ARC (I've been here six years with an ARC), can I apply for an APRC and thus receive the OWP by default? If not, what else would I need?
Thanks for any help,
w
w44566

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Do we still have to marry overseas?

Postby Tigerman » 12 Sep 2003, 08:45

w44566 wrote:In the latest postings Mr. H says that the ROC authorities now recognize local marriages...does this mean a foreign male can marry a Taiwanese woman in Taiwan and the marriage is legal (in other words, we don't have to be married in the foreigner's country to be considered married?)???

As far as I know, marriages done in Taiwan according to the law are valid, even if one partner is a foreign national.
Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

263 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby Sir Donald Bradman » 13 Sep 2003, 16:30

What country are you from?

Brian
Sir Don has retired. Any PMs or questions about any of my posts, should be directed to Bu Lai En.
Sir Donald Bradman
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

1 Recognized(s)

USA, here's my question...

Postby w44566 » 15 Sep 2003, 11:04

so, with this can we then apply for the joining family arc or do we have to go back to the foreigner's country to do the legal marriage?
w44566

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby maoman » 15 Sep 2003, 12:11

You can do everything in Taiwan. I just went through the whole process a few months ago, from start to finish. First step is to obtain your criminal record clearance, which is not necessary for marriage, but is necessary for a Joining Family Resident Visa ARC. If you're from Canada, that alone takes over three months.
Forumosan avatar
maoman

76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 16 Sep 2003, 21:32

Maoman, why did it take you 3 months to get your criminal (or lack of) record)? If I remember correctly, it only took a week or so for mine.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

852 Recognized(s)

Postby Sir Donald Bradman » 16 Sep 2003, 23:28

so, with this can we then apply for the joining family arc or do we have to go back to the foreigner's country to do the legal marriage?

It depends what country you're from.

brian
Sir Don has retired. Any PMs or questions about any of my posts, should be directed to Bu Lai En.
Sir Donald Bradman

1 Recognized(s)

Can I Marry a Canadian citizen living in Taiwan??.......

Postby RickKrull » 01 Oct 2003, 23:18

I am in need of some help, so anyone with some information, no matter how relevant, would be appreciated. I am moving to Taiwan (Kaohsiung) an November of 2003, to meet up with my Fiance. She is working legally with a R.O.C regonized organization, and has a valid A.R.C. I will be entering the country with a visitor's visa, but I plan to stay with her until her contract with this company is fulfilled. Which is where my problem lies, I do not have enough educational documentation to convice the R.O.C to extend my visa. My fiance came up with this solution and we require some insite if anyone has any; She has mentioned that we should get married in Taiwan (we are both Canadian citizens), and apply for a spousal ARC, is there such a thing? Will the R.O.C reconize this, and allow me to stay in the country as long as her contract or as long as she does?Or has anyone got any ideas as to how to keep me in the country.
Thanks to all for you help
RickKrull

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: can I Marry a Canadian citizen living in Taiwan??.......

Postby maoman » 01 Oct 2003, 23:24

RickKrull wrote:She has mentioned that we should get married in Taiwan (we are both Canadian citizens), and apply for a spousal ARC, is there such a thing? Will the R.O.C reconize this, and allow me to stay in the country as long as her contract or as long as she does?

Your fiancee's idea is good. It will work. You will be able to stay as long as her ARC is valid. I believe that you will need to get an affadavit at the Canadian Trade office stating that you are both single, and thus eligible to be married, and you will need to get this affadavit translated and endorsed at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but apart from this I see no difficulties.
Forumosan avatar
maoman

76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Marriage in Taiwan

Postby RickKrull » 02 Oct 2003, 01:41

Awesome, That info is very helpful, Maoman. Maybe someone can answer me one more question.
We are wanting to get married in Taiwan, so I can stay over there legally, but we still want to have our "Wedding" in Canada. Does anyone know if Canada reconizes that marriage, and the will Canadian government consider us alreay a married couple. I will probably have to contact the Canadian Government to get more info, but any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,
Rick.
RickKrull

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Marriage