Do we still have to marry overseas?

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby Big Fluffy Matthew » 02 Oct 2003, 09:23

Maybe you can renew your vows back home or something. It's almost as good as a real wedding, you can still have a cermony in a church and a reception and everything.
Er.... thingy.
Forumosan avatar
Big Fluffy Matthew
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

2 Recognized(s)

Eh?

Postby jimmypop » 16 Oct 2003, 18:21

As i understand it, getting married in the foreign country is advisable not because of Taiwan's laws, but because it's then easier for the Taiwanese to get a visa to visit the inlaws overseas.

I've heard several stories from a few Yanquis here who claim that getting a visa for the U.S. became much more difficult once they got married to their wives. Isn't this why H tells people to get married in the foreign country, instead of here?
jimmypop

ORIGINAL POSTER

Hullo hullo?

Postby jimmypop » 28 Oct 2003, 20:29

Is the above wrong? right? I'm curious, b/c I'm about to get married too.
jimmypop

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby amos » 28 Oct 2003, 22:55

jimmypop wrote
As I understand it, getting married in the foreign country is advisable not because of Taiwan's laws, but because it's then easier for the Taiwanese to get a visa to visit the inlaws overseas.
Certainly not the case in Australia yet I cannot vouch for any other country.

jimmypop wrote
I've heard several stories from a few Yanquis here who claim that getting a visa for the U.S. became much more difficult once they got married to their wives. Isn't this why H tells people to get married in the foreign country, instead of here?
I think H used to say this, but it's now common knowledge that it doesn't make an iota of difference, this is acknowledged numerous times throughout the more recent threads.
Forumosan avatar
amos
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

Previous

x

Return to Marriage