Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

still confusion over marriage procedures.. help!!

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

still confusion over marriage procedures.. help!!

Postby Archibald » 18 Nov 2003, 21:51


I am sorry. I have spent copious amounts of time reading all of the (sometimes conflicting) information on marriage, so I thought I would just post my situation.

here it is: I am currently in Taiwan on a valid ARC, but I plan to return to the States in the summer to go back to school. My girlfriend, who is Taiwanese, and I plan to marry soon and then apply for a greencard so she can legally reside in the U.S. (my country of origin). We want to get married in Taiwan because I heard that will make the greencard easier to get AND our jobs provide benefits for newlyweds.

Now, a couple of questions: given my valid ARC, I suppose I do not need all of the documentation for the Joining Family Visa, but do I still
need the CCRD, which sounds like a real pain to get? The website at AIT makes no mention of this.

Also, since I am going back to go to school, would that cause a problem for the American Immigration Authorities? My girlfriend is currently planning on applying to schools on her own? I know I will need a sponsor.

Finally, would applying for a greencard right after marriage look suspicious in the eyes of American immigration officials?

thanks for the help,

Postby scomargo » 19 Nov 2003, 11:04

You're probably going to have to go to AIT at one point or another to pick up some forms. Why not just go now and get all of your questions answered at once?

By the way, I don't think you need the CCRD unless you're applying for the JFRV.

One more thing, you may not find much information on this board that is going to help you because your issue is more of an American immigration issue than a Taiwan immigration issue. Try searching other boards that are more focused on that topic and I'm sure you'll find what you need.
User avatar
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Posts: 1535
Joined: 14 Jun 2001, 16:01
Location: Zhonghe

Postby JeffG » 04 Dec 2003, 15:22

If you have no plans to live in Taiwan for more than a few weeks you don't need to apply for a visa, thus you do not need the CCRD because you are not applying for the JFRV. However, I believe you and your fiance will need singles certificates in order to get married in Taiwan, you can get these at AIT, your girl friend will need to go to a court in Shilin I believe.

ATTN: American Citizens living in Taiwan, please support American Citizens Abroad - ACA

Americans living in Taiwan CALL your senators and representatives and ask them to repeal FATCA and support residency based taxation (RBT) for Americans living abroad! Writing a letter is useless! FATCA has been implemented and banks will be collecting your information here. In addition renunciation fees are now $2350! Insane!

The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.
C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Posts: 1657
Joined: 12 Dec 2001, 17:01
Location: Taipei

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Marriage

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests