Unique Wedding Banquets--are there any?

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby don rush » 07 Aug 2002, 01:33

I've been to a few weddings and each was a little different, but wait till you go to a country-style wedding. that puts a whole new twist on things . . . . i.e. dancing girls that strip, and yes only in the country side because they would be arrested in the city.
don rush

Postby Rascal » 07 Aug 2002, 04:59

I attended my friends (Irish + Malaysian Chinese) wedding in Kuala Lumpur early this year.
It was a Christian wedding with a nearly full day program in a high class hotel - but a bit different than what I have experienced before: wedding ceremony at the pool side (followed by a photo session), tea ceremony (followed by coffee/tea and cake) inside, short break and then the dinner banquets.
However there were some short acts performed e.g. by an Irish dancing group & a lion dance and a (short [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) speech by the Irish ambassador to Malaysia, thus creating a bit more interest in the whole affair.
The food was good, too. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Anyhow, I thought it was a nice change from the usual stiff and rather boring dinner banquets - but if it's tradition - who are we to change it? [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
Forumosan avatar
Rascal
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Postby Anonymous » 07 Aug 2002, 07:34

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rascal:
<strong>However there were some short acts performed e.g. by an Irish dancing group & a lion dance </strong><hr></blockquote>

Was it River Dance? With Lion dancing? This was a wedding? Must've been some important people flaunting their wealth and high "taste". While that type of line up is fine for a culture exchange, its a bit tacky for a wedding.

Shouldn't the wedding be more about the couple and less about providing a extravagant show. The biographical slide shows (childhood, family, couple photos) that some wedding put on are generally endearing. Better than those studio production shots that airbush all the faces out except for eyes.
Anonymous

Postby Rascal » 08 Aug 2002, 02:06

Was it River Dance? With Lion dancing?

Yes, but separate of course, i.e. not at the same time. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

This was a wedding? Must've been some important people flaunting their wealth and high "taste".

Not at all. Surely it wasn't cheap but my friends aren't that important nor really wealthy, "just" an expat (actually localized now) married to a nice local girl.
He is active in the Irish community over there though, hence the appearance of the ambassador and the dance group (just 4 teenagers).

They just wanted something different; and I think most guests thought it was different but did actually appreciated it.

Oh, we did a slide show, too, but no studio pics - instead we showed the one taken during the course of the day (registration and ceremony etc.).
Forumosan avatar
Rascal
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Postby Anonymous » 19 Aug 2002, 11:19

Grasshopper: Reddish shades are considered auspicious.

The last wedding banquet I attended was in Singapore by the beach. The marriage was first solemnized by the pastor so there were speeches from the pastor, hymns led by church friends, before guests made their way to the buffet. There were no costume changes, and the bride/groom entertained later with song and dance.
Anonymous

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Marriage