I-130 Trivia (USA DCF Green Card)

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby panda » 20 Sep 2005, 00:24

Original poster mentioned before that wife should get 16 photos ready. What about me? Do I only need 1 photo?
Forumosan avatar
panda
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby seeker4 » 20 Sep 2005, 01:00

Although research at U.S. govt websites can eventually turn up this answer, I'm hoping someone who's done that and experienced this can give me the overview.

What is the basic financial requirement to be able to bring a Taiwanese spouse back to the U.S?

How many options exist to meet this requirement?
"There is a benefit even in misfortune, for it is the rod with which a man can measure the loyalty of friends."
-Tirukkural 80:796 (Hindu text)
seeker4
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby ML McLean » 20 Sep 2005, 14:26

seeker4 wrote:Although research at U.S. govt websites can eventually turn up this answer, I'm hoping someone who's done that and experienced this can give me the overview.

What is the basic financial requirement to be able to bring a Taiwanese spouse back to the U.S?

How many options exist to meet this requirement?

The basic financial requirement is the same for all spouses, regardless of nationality.

What is tricky though is that each Embassy will interpret the rules differently as it pertains to you, the primary sponsor (spouse). The US Embassy in Kuala Lumpur for example, did not recognize salary gained OUTSIDE OF THE US. What that means is you will need a co-sponsor for your application if you cannot show proof of income from within the US. It may be different with AIT Taiwan. You won't know until you ask them or submit your petition.

The minimum salary requirements information you need to find are based on Section 213A and I-864 which can be found HERE

Good luck.
Forumosan avatar
ML McLean
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby ML McLean » 20 Sep 2005, 15:30

If you can't find it, then download a copy of 213A, and it'll have the latest financial requirements to satisfy the sponsorship threshold.
Forumosan avatar
ML McLean

Postby bryska » 03 Jul 2008, 11:58

"Step 5: Issuing Visas: When an immigrant visa application has been approved, the visas, passports, and other documentation will be returned to visa applicants through our courier service... rate of $NT160 per envelope... Passports containing visas and the additional documents will be returned to applicants in sealed envelopes via our courier service within two to three working days once a Consular officer approves the immigrant visa application. Applicants should NOT open their envelopes and must hand-carry them on the airplane"

I found this info here and on the AIT website. Very confusing - am i not supposed to open the envelope with my own passport??? How am i supposed to go through passport control then? Don't think they would let me on the plane without a passport. Is it some kind of a misprint or misunderstanding from my side?
bryska
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

1 Recommends(s)

Postby miker32us » 29 Jul 2008, 01:36

You do not put the large envelope in your checked luggage, you carry it through, checked lugage gets lost. Your wife cannot enter the US unless she has that x-ray and she should never open the packet given at the consulate, that is for the custom official to open at POE.
miker32us
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby bryska » 29 Jul 2008, 16:25

Isn't it saying that the passport and the visa will be in the sealed envelope that can't be opened? How is a person supposed to get on the plane with a passport "sealed" in the envelope? That was the question :rainbow:
bryska
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

1 Recommends(s)

Postby panda » 30 Jul 2008, 00:29

The passport and visa will come in a different envelope than the x-rays and the x-ray packet is marked to not open. Of course the passport and visa envelope can be opened.
Forumosan avatar
panda

1 Recognized(s)

Re: I-130 Trivia (USA DCF Green Card)

Postby jdsmith » 18 Apr 2012, 12:19

Bump.

Has anyone gone through this process recently?
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Re: I-130 Trivia (USA DCF Green Card)

Postby jdsmith » 18 Apr 2012, 15:22

It's different now:

Step One:

Fill out an I-130 form and a G-325A for yourself and your spouse:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... f3d6a1RCRD

Attach your marriage certificate and Household registration form (translated into English)

Passport photos of you and your spouse

Send to the "Chicago lockbox"

Include a check or money order for 420$

The very nice woman at AIT told me that once this is done and approved, USCIS will contact you and you then make an appointment to go to AIT with the next batch of paperwork...

to be continued. :thumbsup:
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

Return to Marriage