Married to a Taiwanese, what is my status?

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby amos » 26 Aug 2002, 13:26

bassman, try the legal archives. It used to be the lead thread. Possibly still is. But you can go and check it yourself. Cheers, Amos.
Forumosan avatar
amos
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

the joys of a federation

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 26 Aug 2002, 15:16

Amos,
thanks for the links. I'm in a similar boat and though everything's looking smooth I have one final query. I contacted the NSW police records, Taiwan's foreign affairs the Oz de-factoe consulate and the Taipei econo office in Sydney - which has to authenticate it... but as yet noone has been able to tell me which of the two services Oz cops offer that I require.

These being:
1) "Police Certification on a name basis for people currently residing overseas." Which, though significantly cheaper than option two is emblazoned with
"PLEASE NOTE THIS CERTIFICATE COVERS NSW ARRESTS ONLY" - sorry, copied straight off their page.
or;
2) POLICE CERTIFICATES ON A FINGERPRINT BASIS FOR PEOPLE CURRENTLY RESIDING OVERSEAS
- again sorry for the officious caps locked but it was copied straight from their form.

Any ideas?

I note you said you got yours from the Vic coppers and then authenticated in Sydney(?) That implies the fingerprint job which I'm told has to be performed by Taiwan police. Call me paranoid but I'm not one to front to the local constabulary and say "Righto' lads, If you wouldn't mind just getting my prints for me..."

What confuses me is that while I'm damned sure that the TECO office in Sydney will authenticate something from the NSW police (option 1) it takes only one smart-arse to raise the logical question "of what relevance is this form since it doesn't cover the rest of Oz?" I note that my sole status certificate was performed (and botched) by the NSW registry of birth's deaths and marriages and authenticated but it too implied that it was only relevant for NSW. I was trembling at the prospects of dealing with five of these hopeless outfits but it was approved.

PS: for any other readers looking to track down their convict past or hopefully lack there of... try this link http://www.consular.australia.or.jp/police.html

Cheers,
Guang Chen - also in Yong Ho (BTW)
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby amos » 26 Aug 2002, 22:08

Guang Chen, I'm not married yet, but have a pretty good schedule of what I'm doing when I head back to Australia.

Just on the Police Certification. Although I haven't appled for it yet, but I do have the the application in my hand as I type. I'm from Melbourne, so need a Victorian one. The Sydney advice was to the guy who asked something about Sydney earlier on in the thread.

Due to it saying (I'm reading exactly from the form) - Do you want ;
a) National name check $A24 or
b) Police and fingerprints record search $A103,
I'd say 'a' will do the job. My advice is that if your state says it's going to say New South Wales only, then just get a National one from Victoria. It can be done from the internet.

If you download that form 'Consent to Check and Release National Police Record', you'll find that you don't need fingerprints at all. Just your drivers license number and a copy of your drivers license or passport or birth certificate.

You said that what "confuses me is that while I'm damned sure that the TECO office in Sydney will authenticate something from the NSW police (option 1) it takes only one smart-arse to raise the logical question "of what relevance is this form since it doesn't cover the rest of Oz?"

That's a good question. My advice is when you get it translated, providing you haven't already, tell them to write in National rather than New South Wales on the translation form. (the guys in Taiwan probably won't pick the New South words on the English form, but will look more closely at the meaning of the translation - my guess only.

Again, the Victorian form is a National form. I don't why New South Wales isn't the same, but heed the advice and get a Victorian one. Tell them that you need a National check, and New South don't offer the service.

You asked in the personal note why I'm doing it back home, well many reasons mate, but one benefit is by doing that I will not need a Singles Certificate. Just marriage certificate and Clean record certificate.

Hope this helps some, cheers Amos.
Forumosan avatar
amos

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 26 Aug 2002, 22:38

Amos,

thanks for the reply.

A quick point. My sole status cert. wasn't actually translated, just chopped - approved. This makes me think the local TECO's have, surprise, surprise, no idea of the point I raised earlier.

Hope I'm not the smart arse!
:oops:
I agree though, and will probably do the cheaper NSW option as that's where my birth certificate, and I think passport, say is where I'm from.

Cheers,
GC
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby HYBRID » 03 Sep 2002, 15:32

To Feiren, thanks for clarifying my work situation. I have declined the teaching position & will first apply for the JFRV. So at this moment I am awaiting a reply from the Federal Police in regards to the Police check. So that I can then proceed with the application for JFRV.
Also Thanks Herzell, I located your old posting which outlined the steps to getting an JFRV, then ARC.
Again thanks all for your helpful advice & sharings.
HYBRID

ORIGINAL POSTER

Previous

x

Return to Marriage