Marriage to a Taiwanese who has dual citizenship - HOW???

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Marriage to a Taiwanese who has dual citizenship - HOW???

Postby Ayah72 » 27 Aug 2002, 16:11

Anyone with this experience?

My boyfriend has 2 passports. Since his father is Taiwanese, he has a Taiwan passport. He also has a Philippine passport courtesy of his mother. Both passports are valid.

We are planning to get married soon but I have no idea what to do.

If I marry him as a Filipino, am I automatically married to his Taiwanese identity? or vice-versa?

Some people say marry him as a Taiwanese then marry him again as a Filipino. Is this feasible?

Please help!!!! I have nightmares of my boyfriend having 2 wives. One married to the Filipino and another to the Taiwanese.
Ayah72

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Lord Lucan » 28 Aug 2002, 05:06

I'll have whatever you're drinking.
Forumosan avatar
Lord Lucan
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby Ayah72 » 31 Aug 2002, 20:57

Anyone out there??? Anyone with a dual passport who can help me? Richard? :(

I really need some answers. I asked our Philippine consulate (MECO) and it seems marrying a fellow Filipino is easier than getting married to a Taiwanese.

However, they don't know anything about marriage to a dual citizen.

By the way, my boyfriend's Filipino name and origin is included in his Taiwanese ID (shen fen zheng?).
Ayah72

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Lord Lucan » 01 Sep 2002, 18:36

I haven't a clue what you're talking about. Could you explain in a bit more detail why you're asking this question. I have three passports, but my wife only had to marry me once (!)
Forumosan avatar
Lord Lucan

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby Ayah72 » 10 Sep 2002, 19:08

Well, Hexuan. I am a bit confused too but this is how it goes....

I am of Philippine nationality. I asked our "Embassy" how to marry a dual citizen and they told me that I must indicate one of my boyfriend's nationality.

If I choose Filipino, then the requirements are easier but I can't get an ARC for Taiwan since I am not married to a Taiwanese.

If I choose Taiwanese, then I do not have any rights to my boyfriend's property in the Philippines.

I think this is what bothers me.

You have 3 passports - which nationality did you put in the marriage certificate? Is your wife recognized by the 3 countries?
Ayah72

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby sandman » 10 Sep 2002, 19:45

Well, that sounds so outlandish that I'd check that the embassy didn't give you the wrong information -- it has been known!

Surely if you marry someone, you marry them. You can't get an ARC? Why not? You are married to a Taiwan citizen.

You don't have rights to your Philippine husband's property? Why not? You're married to him.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Ayah72 » 11 Sep 2002, 19:22

I agree with you sandman. If you marry someone, you should be married to him (Taiwanese or Filipino).

Not according to the "embassy."

I asked them again and the secretary said very slowly " If the marriage certificate indicates a Taiwanese husband, then I can get an ARC. If it indicates a Filipino husband, no ARC but with recognized marital rights in the Philippines."

I told them this is absurd. My boyfriend is both Taiwanese and Filipino.

The secretary laughed and said "You can only indicate one citizenship in the marriage certificate."

So what do you think of that? Richard? Sandman? Hexuan?

Any good advice? :roll:
Ayah72

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby dl7und » 12 Sep 2002, 09:18

Ayah72 wrote:If the marriage certificate indicates a Taiwanese husband, then I can get an ARC. If it indicates a Filipino husband, no ARC but with recognized marital rights in the Philippines.

Marry him twice. Bigamy shouldn't be a problem, as you still marry the same person, just different nationalities. You wouldn't want to sleep with a nationality anyway, right?

Sorry, the above response is not that serious, but after I read the quoted statement, this was the first thing I thought of. But while I think about it: Could there be some country that would state both nationalities on the certificate? Or: Is there a country that would allow a "double wedding"? That would create a strange situation indeed - being married twice, but with the same person...
dl7und
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby HYBRID » 12 Sep 2002, 12:15

Ayah72, your situation sure sounds very problematic, I don't really have an answer to your question on whether to marry him as a Filipino or as a Taiwanese, but to marry him twice may not be the best of ideas because in many marriage certificates it will state for both the brdegroom and bride there conjugal status. So what will you state in this catagory when you marry your husband again? I wish I could be of more help because I am married to a Taiwanese and am currently in the process of gathering all our documents to apply for legal status in both our respective countries. Which is a real headache, actually getting married is easy, gaining residency status seems a bit more difficult. Well best of luck and hope all goes well for you both.
HYBRID

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Lord Lucan » 14 Sep 2002, 04:37

I wasn't aware you had to state nationality on the cert. I've never heard of this (relevance?).

So I assume the Philippines doesn't recognise dual nationality ?

My advice - marry him as a Taiwanese. If you need conjugal rights in the Phillipines he will be able to prove he is a Phillipne citizen and that he is married to you. That, I would imagine, should be good enough.
Forumosan avatar
Lord Lucan

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Marriage