Registering an overseas marriage in Taiwan

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Registering an overseas marriage in Taiwan

Postby She » 15 Feb 2007, 12:30

I am a dual Australian/Taiwanese citizen. My husband is a US citizen.
We were married in Japan and thus have a Japanese marriage certificate.

There is no need for us to register our marriage in either Australia or the US as it's automatically recognised as being legal in our respective countries.

My question is, is a Japanese marriage automatically recognised in Taiwan?

If not, how would I go about having it registered?

Thanks in advance
She
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby She » 15 Feb 2007, 13:22

I searched around and found the Taiwanese embassy in Japan website and on it, I found this:

(四)國人與日本以外第三國籍人士(緬甸人除外)結婚所需證件

1. 國人持護照、外人登錄證及全姓名印章來處。
2. 三個月內核發之國內戶籍謄本正本一份(無戶籍者以宣誓書替代)。
3. 對方使領館簽發之結婚證明書正本二份(英文或日文)。
4. 對方護照、外人登錄證影本各二份(正本驗退)。

Can someone help me understand the Chinese please? Here's what I understand it to be:

1. My Taiwanese passport and Japanese foreigner registration document
2. Something about a household registration. I don't think I have this, in which case what does 宣誓書 mean?
3. Something from the US consulate for him (簽發?) and 2 copies of our marriage certificate.
4. His passport and 2 copies of his Japanese foreigner registration document.
She

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby jlick » 15 Feb 2007, 13:23

You will need to get your marriage certificate authenticated at the nearest representative office in Japan to where the certificate was issued. You will then need to take it to the MOFA/BOCA office in Taipei to get the authentication recognized. Then take it to the district court for your household registration office to get it registered with the court. After all that then you can record your marriage at your household registration office and your marriage will then be recognized here. If your marriage certificate is not in Chinese or English then you will need to provide a translation.
SUBWAY™ eat fresh! Free wireless Internet access at both Jimmy's Sandwich Company locations:
SUBWAY™ Qingcheng Restaurant: Urban One 1F #1 Qingcheng Street, Taipei. (Nanjing East Road MRT station)
SUBWAY™ Minquan Jilin Restaurant: #74, Section 2, Minquan East Road, Taipei.
Forumosan avatar
jlick
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

9 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby She » 15 Feb 2007, 13:48

thanks jlick!

That seems like an awfully complicated procedure ><

what are the pros and cons of having it registered?
She

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby jlick » 15 Feb 2007, 14:23

She wrote:what are the pros and cons of having it registered?

If you ever decide to move here it will be necessary for the marriage to be registered in your household registration for Mr. She to get a JFRV ARC.
SUBWAY™ eat fresh! Free wireless Internet access at both Jimmy's Sandwich Company locations:
SUBWAY™ Qingcheng Restaurant: Urban One 1F #1 Qingcheng Street, Taipei. (Nanjing East Road MRT station)
SUBWAY™ Minquan Jilin Restaurant: #74, Section 2, Minquan East Road, Taipei.
Forumosan avatar
jlick

9 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Tigerman » 15 Feb 2007, 14:27

She wrote:what are the pros and cons of having it registered?

I don't know.

Previously, registration was not required until/unless the couple decided to divorce (need to be registered in order to divorce). Recently, a law was passed requiring new marriages to be registered (this I think to deal with Taiwanese husbands going off to China and marrying second wives... the registration was/is supposed to protect the Taiwanese wives as well as the unknowing Chinese second wives)...

My wife and I have been married since 1989. Never registered here. Haven't had any problems. Dunno what benefits we might be missing out on, though. Oh, except for what jlick posted above. But, I've never desired one of those.
As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

263 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Re: Registering an overseas marriage in Taiwan

Postby Lihwa » 25 Oct 2008, 20:44

can anyone help me? I am a dual US/Taiwan citizen. I got married in the US in 1986 and live in the US. I plan to come back to Taiwan and live here 3-4 months a year and wants to register our marriage. How do I do it? We have a US marriage certificate.
Lihwa
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby a572h0827230 » 18 May 2009, 23:57

Your marriage is automatically recognized by Taiwanese Law when you have a public wedding in Japan. You don't have to register it. The registeration is only for known by public and prevent any misunderstanding. (公示作用,讓大家知道以免誤會) However, as the registartion habitually practiced in Taiwan, it is suggestible to do it and prevent misunderstanding.
Lin, Attorney at Law
Address: 13F, No. 27, Zhongshan North Road, Section 3, Taipei Telephone: 29810665
E-mail: a572h0827230@gmail.com Areas of practice: Child Custody, Marriage/Divorce, Estates, Contracts, Corporations, Trademark Law, Immigration, Criminal Law and Government Relations
Consulting Fees: 4,000 NTD per hour Representative before the Court: 80,000 -150,000NTD per case,
Marriage/Divorce/Collection only Translation fee, postage excluded
a572h0827230

Postby She » 05 Jun 2009, 22:47

We never got around to registering but are now considering the possibility of moving (back) to Taiwan to live for a year or two a few years down the line.

Will it be an issue that I can't get it "authenticated at the nearest representative office in Japan to where the certificate was issued" since we no longer live there?
She

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby quarkz » 18 Jun 2010, 16:35

Hi,

I'm a Singaporean and my Taiwanese gf and I will get married and registered in Singapore. I will be leaving for Europe and a few mths later, she will be joining me in Europe. No sure when we'll come back to Taiwan.

Hence, is there a need to register the marriage in Taiwan? Tigerman mentioned that there's a new law stating all marriage overseas must be registered in Taiwan.

Will we be breaking any law if we do not register.

thanks
quarkz

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Marriage