Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

UK/Taiwan Marriage. Is it real?

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

UK/Taiwan Marriage. Is it real?

Postby BlackAdder » 07 Apr 2009, 20:00

Hello everyone,

Well, once again I am scratching my head in utter confusion. :s I am a UK citizen and planning to marry a Taiwanese citizen. I’m confused because I have heard it said many times over the years that the UK government does not recognize marriages in Taiwan. Some people say it’s true and others say it’s all rubbish. So, I called the British Consulate in Taipei and they told me there 'may be some Taiwan/UK marriage issues' and to read their website - which turned out to be useful as a corkscrew at an AA meeting :roll:

So, my questions to you experienced UK :UK: Forumosans are:

1. Is it true a marriage in Taiwan is not recognized in the UK?

2. If it’s true, what bureaucratic implications could this lead to down the road (for example, future wife/children citizenship applications, residency issues, etc)?

3. If it’s not true then why is Taiwan not listed on this UK government overseas marriage website (I must admit I have little idea if this web page is relevant to me): http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/marri ... -wales.asp

4. To avoid any confusion about the legitimacy of any marriage, do I have to tie the knot in Hong Kong?

5. I'm sure I have forgotten an obvious question.

As always, your comments would be appreciated. I did try searching for this but ended up even more confused

Getting engaged was hard enough….. but all these legal questions seem much more testing! :help:
"For scientific leadership, give me Scott; for swift and efficient travel, Amundsen; but when you are in a hopeless situation, when there seems to be no way out, get on your knees and pray for Shackleton.”
BlackAdder
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: UK/Taiwan Marriage. Is it real?

Postby Hartzell » 07 Apr 2009, 21:01

I have had quite a bit of experience advising people in regard to "dual nationality marriages," and in particular where one spouse was Taiwanese.

First of all, you both need to obtain a "single certificate," which proves that you are eligible for marriage.

According to the concerns which you have raised in your initial posting, I believe the best advice is for both of you to get married in the UK. It should be a simple enough matter to find out what documentation your fiancee will need in order to complete marriage procedures in London, or wherever, and what the appropriate visa she needs when she arrives at Heathrow (or wherever .... )

Then having completed the marriage procedures in jolly old England, you bring all the paperwork, photos, etc. along with the previously issued single certificate(s), back to Taiwan, and get the marriage registered here in the Household Registration of the Taiwanese spouse.

Presto, you have a marriage recognized as valid in the UK and in Taiwan.
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at rwh.midway@gmail.com
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

19 Recognized(s)

Postby Funk500 » 07 Apr 2009, 23:06

Or go to Guam. You don't need a single certificate only a notarized letter that says you are single. You get the marriage certificate translated at the Taiwanese trade office in Guam which only takes a few days.

Guam is US territory so the marriage is legit here and back home in the UK.

PM me if you want more
Forumosan avatar
Funk500
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

19 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby godunknown » 23 Jan 2010, 09:49

So a Brit could marry a Taiwanese in Guam and that would be legally recognised both in Taiwan and E ngland?
godunknown
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby spaint » 07 Jul 2010, 23:42

Could anyone explain what the hell happened with this issue?

I am a British citizen who got married to a Taiwanese citizen IN TAIWAN back in 2002. I obtained a JFRV in 2003 based on this but I'm a little hazy on the details. Now that I'm divorced, it's not relevant but I'm really confused why Brits have such a hard time with marrying Taiwanese.
spaint
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

36 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 07 Jul 2010, 23:46

Could it be that its because the UK doesnt recognize ROC as being a country. It can let in ROC passport holders for 180 days but it cant allow recognition of a marriage done in the ROC??

so just do as they say and marry in Guam or in HK. That should work?
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

597 Recommends(s)
372 Recognized(s)

Postby Deca » 20 Aug 2010, 06:59

So, nobody knows the answer to the OP's question of Taiwanese marriage being recognised as legal in the UK? Fex using a Taiwanese marriage certificate for applying for a residence card in the UK?
Deca

Postby tomthorne » 20 Aug 2010, 08:02

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-liv ... depositing

That's why I got married in the UK. As always with the disclaimer I have no idea for sure, but these tossers won't accept it so I guess that a Taiwanese marriaged certificate is worthless in the UK.

'Marriages in Taiwan
We are unable to accept marriage certificates from Taiwan.'
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr Jellyfish » 20 Aug 2010, 08:44

My wife and I had to go through all this hassle before as well.

We ended up getting engaged in Taiwan, then married in the UK. If you do decide to get married in the UK, make sure you get your marriage certificate...(can't remember if the term is 'autheticated' or 'notarised') ~ anyway, there's an office in London that puts magic stamps on certificates so they can be used abroad. After that you have to take it to the Taiwanese office so they can put lots of big magic stamps on it as well. This way you can register your marriage in Taiwan as well (if anyone can read your marriage certificate though all the stamps).
Dr Jellyfish
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

60 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby StuartCa » 20 Aug 2010, 09:27

After a bit of hunting around this is what it says on the UK Border agency website

We may be able to give you permission to live permanently in the UK as soon as you arrive, if:
you and your partner married or formed a civil partnership at least four years ago;
you have spent those four years living together outside the UK;
you are both coming to the UK to settle here together; and
you have sufficient knowledge of the English language and life in the UK. (You do not need to meet this last requirement if you are aged 65 or over.)

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/partnersandfamilies/partners/husbandswivescivilpartners/

Oddly it doesn't mention anything about marriages in countries that aren't recognized, i guess with the UK's liberal attitudes towards living together maybe they don't mind so much. :idunno:
If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener
Forumosan avatar
StuartCa
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

15 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Marriage