Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Can a 20 yr old marry without parental consent?

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: can my GF(20-yrs-old) marry without parental consent?

Postby cranky laowai » 14 Feb 2010, 18:40

Unbelievable? In most U.S. states, with parental consent girls can get married at 16. Younger in some cases.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 14 Feb 2010, 19:10

cranky laowai wrote:Unbelievable? In most U.S. states, with parental consent girls can get married at 16. Younger in some cases.

I'm not a US citizen...........so govt.'s are okay with 17 year olds getting pregnant, or evn 16????? :ponder:
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

367 Recommends(s)
116 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 14 Feb 2010, 19:13

Rachenko wrote:I should have cleared this up earlier, but I had to attend a funeral this weekend.

The GF and I are both US citizens. She was born in the US but raised/educated in Taipei.
However, her parents are both strictly Taiwanese citizens. As for me... no, I'm not married
or divorced.

She and I have decided to get married regarless. The location will be Vegas. The
only people attending will be her two sisters and three aunts.(who all either live or
work in the US)

End of story, for now.... but who know what will happen in the future.

Well, from a legal stand point, then, it seems you guys are good to go. :thumbsup:

Depending on the family, once you're married and have the baby, they might come around and change their feelings on the subject. Good luck to you both.
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 14 Feb 2010, 19:35

divea wrote:
cranky laowai wrote:Unbelievable? In most U.S. states, with parental consent girls can get married at 16. Younger in some cases.

I'm not a US citizen...........so govt.'s are okay with 17 year olds getting pregnant, or evn 16????? :ponder:

Perhaps it's a holdover from an earlier social period when such things were more common. :idunno: It certainly does seem too young, doesn't it?

For comparison, here's a list by country from Wiki.
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 14 Feb 2010, 19:55

Thank you DB.
This what I thought was the general rule of law everywhere.........
# India: 21 for males and 18 for females[20]. If any partner(s) engages in marriage at a younger age, (s)he can ask for the marriage to be declared void / annulled. A recent recommendation by the Law Commission aims to equalize the marriage age for males and females to 18[21], automatically declares marriages under 16 as "null and void", while marriages at the age of 16 or 17 are "voidable"[21]

I had no idea 16 year olds could get legally married in ummmm non-islamic countries. And why are men supposed to be older??? Why do laws think a 16 year old girl is ready for marriage and parenthood but no a 16 year old lad???

Thinking aloud.
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea

367 Recommends(s)
116 Recognized(s)

Postby JMcNeill » 14 Feb 2010, 20:01

I'm guessing that the age difference between males and females also comes from earlier times when the man was expected to be the sole provider of financial support for his family.
JMcNeill
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

2 Recommends(s)

Postby Battery9 » 14 Feb 2010, 20:31

ohhhhhhhhhh well if she's a US citizen then that should be fine. She's almost 21 right? I'm just being nosy now but wouldn't the aunts attending cause an even bigger family fight? On the other hand, if the aunts live in the US at least she has some family there to help with the baby:)
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

27 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 14 Feb 2010, 20:58

divea wrote:Thank you DB.
This what I thought was the general rule of law everywhere.........
# India: 21 for males and 18 for females[20]. If any partner(s) engages in marriage at a younger age, (s)he can ask for the marriage to be declared void / annulled. A recent recommendation by the Law Commission aims to equalize the marriage age for males and females to 18[21], automatically declares marriages under 16 as "null and void", while marriages at the age of 16 or 17 are "voidable"[21]

I had no idea 16 year olds could get legally married in ummmm non-islamic countries. And why are men supposed to be older??? Why do laws think a 16 year old girl is ready for marriage and parenthood but no a 16 year old lad???

Thinking aloud.

Possibly, because traditionally from 16 on young lads would be entering that period where they would be considered cannon fodder for the glory of the fatherland?
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby I am a City Girl » 20 Feb 2010, 17:07

divea wrote:
TTBOMK, the answer is that a person has to be 17 if male or 15 if female to be engaged (民法第973條 Civil Law clause 973), and must be 16 if a female or 18 if male to be married (clause 980). I

DB, do you mean a 16 year old can get married in Taiwan with parental consent???

Yes, they can get married with parents consents if they are not 16 years old yet.
I am a City Girl
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Josefus » 20 Feb 2010, 17:15

Are you saying I could marry a 16 yr old girl, but can't have sex with (an unmarried) one?
If I could cup your testicles in my hand and warm them, by way of appeasement, I would gladly do so. - TomHill

The women here have jobs which don't involve climbing aboard the Winston Train for a bit of Wu Wu Wu. - Kahna
Forumosan avatar
Josefus
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

5 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Marriage