Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Procedures for Malaysian Lady marry with a Taiwanese Guy

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Procedures for Malaysian Lady marry with a Taiwanese Guy

Postby stee » 11 Mar 2010, 14:51

Hi all,

My boyfriend and myself intend to be back to Taiwan for marriage registration mid next month (April 2010). Would appreciate if someone out there able to assist us on the procedure / process.

I have obtained the english copy single status letter from malaysia (stamped & verified by ministry of foreign affairs, malaysia) while chinese translated copy endorsed & verified by taipei economic & cultural office in malaysia. Based on my understanding, with those documents in hand, we can just register our marraige at Taiwan, household registry office on the spot. An official marriage certificate (english & chinese) will be issue to us.

Is the above procedure accurate or do we miss out any step? Sincerely appreciate if someone able to share with us on the proper process as we only have 1 week in Taiwan (19/4 until 24/4).

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.
stee
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Procedures for Malaysian Lady marry with a Taiwanese Guy

Postby TwoTongues » 11 Mar 2010, 15:11

I believe you may have to first go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Office in Taipei city and get the verified version from the Malaysian TECO "authenticated" - 1 to 3 days, a few hundred NT - and then you can go to the Household office.

I just almost did that but my better half was missing the TECO stamp from Thailand.
"Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber." - The Dude
Forumosan avatar
TwoTongues
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby stee » 12 Mar 2010, 09:49

Thanks twotoungues ...... meaning i still need to go MOFA Taipei which requires 1 to 3 days in order to get Single status letter (English & Mandarin) authenticated? So with that done, only we can go to household office for our marriage registration? While waiting for our letter being authenticated, can we proceed to household office for "queeing"? What do we need to prepare or documents requires to bring when we go to household office? What next after household office?

Sorry for asking so many questions, as we wish to plan our trip properly due to our short time frame.
stee

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby TwoTongues » 12 Mar 2010, 10:34

I never made it past the MoFA authentication (we will be married at the Thai embassy, which makes it easier for us), so I can't confirm from experience that your next step is the Household office, but I will tell you that the online advice I've read says that yes, the HH office is next and last, also my US friend who married a Japanese here in Taiwan says yes. And finally, that's what the MoFA lady said too, though I'd be less inclined to believe just her, as one branch of the TW govt doesn't seem to be sure of what the other branches are doing (admittedly a problem not unique to TW).
"Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber." - The Dude
Forumosan avatar
TwoTongues

2 Recognized(s)

Postby stee » 12 Mar 2010, 12:33

Thanks again TwoTongues for your information. Infact, I'm trying to locate more information via website browsing on the procedures but unfortunetely failed. Partly due to I don't read Mandarin perhaps.

Anyway, my husband-to-be contacted household division and was informed that we just need to go straight to them for registration. I'm totally confused now :s Both of us are currently based in Malaysia and we hope to source as many info now before we flying back to Taiwan next month.

Anyone out there can assist?
stee

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby springonion » 24 Mar 2010, 00:31

stee wrote:Hi all,

My boyfriend and myself intend to be back to Taiwan for marriage registration mid next month (April 2010). Would appreciate if someone out there able to assist us on the procedure / process.

I have obtained the english copy single status letter from malaysia (stamped & verified by ministry of foreign affairs, malaysia) while Chinese translated copy endorsed & verified by taipei economic & cultural office in malaysia. Based on my understanding, with those documents in hand, we can just register our marraige at Taiwan, household registry office on the spot. An official marriage certificate (english & chinese) will be issue to us.

Is the above procedure accurate or do we miss out any step? Sincerely appreciate if someone able to share with us on the proper process as we only have 1 week in Taiwan (19/4 until 24/4).

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

Hi Stee

I believe it would be better if you can get your single status cert. stamped & verified by TECO too, if you hadn't done it already. I had mine done too....while my chinese translation (which was translated by my soon-to-be wife here in Taiwan) was stamped & authenticated by a Notary Public here in Taiwan. I didn't need to take the translation to MOFA for authentication. You will also need to take your soon-to-be husband's registration book to the Household Registration office where they will enter your name into the book. Oh yes..one more thing...you will need 2 Taiwanese citizens to act as witnesses to your marriage...get hold of two of your husband's poker buddies and you're good to go :D ....if they're too busy to accompany you guys to the HHR?...no problem..just get them to sign and put their chops on the marriage documents...that's all!...

So remember....you will need 1) Your translated Single Status cert. stamped by a Notary Public here in Taiwan. 2) Hubby's registration Book 3) 2 witnesses & 4) Some cash, of course. With these docs in hand, head to your husband's HHR office & everything should be done in about an hour or less. They will issue you an English Marriage cert. as well as the Chinese one on the spot (Remember to ask for the Eng one otherwise they will only give you the Chinese one).

Anyway, my husband-to-be contacted household division and was informed that we just need to go straight to them for registration.
They must have misunderstood your hubby....Yes, you need to go straight to them and they will marry you guys right on the spot without verifying any documents.....IF BOTH OF YOU ARE TAIWANESE, that is.....but no, you will need to take that extra step of verifying your Single Status cert....dont worry though, it's a simple process. Are you planning to stay here in Taiwan and applying for the JFRV too?

Congratulations to the both of you.
I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be - Bret Hart
springonion
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby stee » 13 May 2010, 12:19

Hi Springonion,
Sorry for the late reply and thanks for your information.

So i still need to bring my single status certificate to be stamp and verify by TECO even though my current english copy single status letter issued by Malaysia already authenticated, stamped & verified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Malaysia while Chinese translated copy authenticated, endorsed & verified by Taipei Economic & Cultural office in Malaysia? Btw, what is TECO?

Correct me, if I'm wrong. Based on your information, the procedures shall be:-
1) My single status cert. stamped & verified by TECO which can be done within 1 hour

2) To bring my soon-to-be husband's registration book to the Household Registration. Do I need to prepare any document such as Certificate of good conduct? Or just go straight to Household registration office with my single status certificate (English & Mandarin) will do.

3) Oh yes, witnesses. I'm getting 2 Malaysian as our witnesses whereby they have signed the marriage registration form (downloaded from internet) and photostated their passport for us to bring to Taiwan.

4) Lastly we could register our marriage at household registration?

We are leaving Malaysia back to Taiwan on this coming Monday, 17/5 and hopeful I don't miss out any important documentations.

Thanks........ :)
stee

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby chewsw » 06 Nov 2013, 09:14

Hi, I am a Malaysian, about to get married in Taiwan soon.

Hope to verify the following,

1) For the single certificate, I will need to apply one from Malaysia, and get it verified by Malaysia Foreign Affairs. After this, I will need to get it translated into Chinese, followed by the authentication by TECO Malaysia on both copy.

In Taiwan, I will have to authenticated this single certificate at Taiwan Foreign Affairs, and I will be able to proceed with registering at a local household registration, with two witness. After the registration, I will get the English version of the certificate of marriage from the household registration, have it authenticated by Taiwan Foreign Affair, and also Malaysia Foreign Affair in Taipei for the re-registration back in Malaysia.

2) JFRV
I know for this visa application, I will need to do a health check in Taiwan, and also apply a certificate of good conduct in Malaysia. May I know does anyone know how long is this certificate valid for? And for the marriage certificate, can I use the certificate in got from Taiwan? Or does it requires the Malaysia certificate of marriage?

Thank you.
chewsw

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Marriage