misdemeanors

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

misdemeanors

Postby joeblow420 » 07 May 2010, 17:14

will there be any problem in getting a perminate residence in taiwan with a small misdemeanor in possible background check.. was just for stealing less then 5 $ of merchandise.

I did 2 yrs probation.. also was arrested while driving with a suspended license.. no biggie.. and all happened over 10 yrs ago.. could this keep me from getting ARC here..?

many thx in return for any info!
Forumosan avatar
joeblow420
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: misdemeanors

Postby sandman » 07 May 2010, 17:23

Simple. Its a criminal record check, so if you haven't got a criminal record you'll be fine.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby joeblow420 » 07 May 2010, 17:36

so then...... what..?

Seems I have a criminal record, if I was arrested, and put on probation right...?
I was told if i completed probation, with no problems, then would not be on perminate record..
Now since I need to get a "federal" check, will this be on it.. and HOW can this affect getting ARC.. I mean.. People are NOT perfect, and it is considered a "misdemeanor" offense..

SO IF this IS on my record, then could I be denied.. Even though its a small crime, and no jail time for it at all.
Is it just if there is anything on background then no matter what it is, can be denied..?Or is it done on case, by case basis..?

direct responses please...
Forumosan avatar
joeblow420

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 07 May 2010, 17:43

joeblow420 wrote:will there be any problem in getting a perminate residence in taiwan with a small misdemeanor in possible background check.. was just for stealing less then 5 $ of merchandise.

I did 2 yrs probation.. also was arrested while driving with a suspended license.. no biggie.. and all happened over 10 yrs ago.. could this keep me from getting ARC here..?

Request your background check to cover only the time after your arrest and conviction. For example: If you were convicted in 1999, request a criminal background check covering 2000 to present. Then, your criminal offense won't show up. :bow:
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer
Not actually banned (he just tells everyone he is)

175 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby joeblow420 » 07 May 2010, 17:56

Really, you can do such a thing..?
The Taiwan government isn't looking for a complete background history check?
I also dont even remember exactly when it happened, was so insignificant. Never mattered before.. I would still suspect it should show up on any background check prior to the event.. It was a SIS, meaning suspended imposition of sentence. Since I completed probation, I never served any jail time.
Forumosan avatar
joeblow420

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Okami » 07 May 2010, 17:57

Northcoast Surfer wrote:
joeblow420 wrote:will there be any problem in getting a perminate residence in taiwan with a small misdemeanor in possible background check.. was just for stealing less then 5 $ of merchandise.

Request your background check to cover only the time after your arrest and conviction. For example: If you were convicted in 1999, request a criminal background check covering 2000 to present. Then, your criminal offense won't show up. :bow:
The bagger of shit speaks the truth.
Professor Walter Williams has remarked that he’s glad he went to college “before it became fashionable for white people to like black people.”
Forumosan avatar
Okami
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

8 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 07 May 2010, 18:12

joeblow420 wrote:Really, you can do such a thing..?
The Taiwan government isn't looking for a complete background history check?
Well, the Taiwan government isn't very sharp about such things and you can slide quite a lot of shit (even in ziplock bags) past them if you are so inclined. I know of one convicted felon who got his JFRV using the specific date request method for his criminal background check! Really!
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer

175 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby joeblow420 » 07 May 2010, 18:25

hmm.. well thx alot of the info!
so could i just ask for a criminal check from the last 2 years..?
would that be acceptable? :whistle:
Forumosan avatar
joeblow420

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 07 May 2010, 18:40

joeblow420 wrote:hmm.. well thx alot of the info!
so could i just ask for a criminal check from the last 2 years..?
would that be acceptable? :whistle:
It depends on how the criminal record check is written. For the background checks I've helped process they didn't stipulate the time frame. They simply said,

"Please be advised that based on the descriptors provided, there is no conviction criminal history record information on the above named individual"

So, depending on which country you hail from and which federal agency you need to deal with, yours may or may not include the requested background check time frame in the final report.

Also, some employers who request a background check on a future employee sometimes only require the last five years, seven years, ten years, etc. In the US, most job applications ask if you have been convicted of a felony in the past seven years. So, if you were to provide a background check as a condition of employment, you would only need the past seven years in many cases.

Suggestion: Do two background checks. One that covers the last 10 years since your conviction and one that covers your lifetime. Then you can look at both and decide how best to proceed.
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer

175 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby joeblow420 » 07 May 2010, 23:26

thanks a lot for the info, I will do just that!
Forumosan avatar
joeblow420

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Marriage