Translation of Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Translation of Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage

Postby quarkz » 11 Jun 2010, 15:31

Hi,

I'm a singaporean and I'm going to marry my Taiwanese gf. From the forum, I understand that there must be a "Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage". I was told that I can get an english copy from the register of marriage in Singapore and get it certify in the taiwan consulate in Singapore.

since I need a chinese copy, I was told by the impatient staff that :

1. i can translate it myself to chinese in Singapore and get it certify in the taiwan consulate in Singapore.
2. certify only the english copy. in taiwan, get it translated at the translation agency and get it certify in a district court.

I read from the post n this forum that i can simply translate it myself and bring it to the district court for certification. Is this so or do I have to go thru the translation agency?

anyone has experience?

thanks!
quarkz
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Translation of Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage

Postby Dragonbones » 11 Jun 2010, 15:56

I don't have specific experience on this one, but based on my 15 years here in Taiwan and reading about others' experiences, I'd suggest you try first whichever is cheaper and easier based on your location (which isn't showing in your profile); I don't think you have to pay a translator if you can do it yourself -- normally they just want it translated and then want a pretty, official-looking stamp on it. However, whether or not a particular method or document is accepted seems to depend, at least in some cases, on the mood of the clerk or official processing it (welcome to Taiwan!). Oh, and congratulations! :beer:
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

36 Recommends(s)
92 Recognized(s)

Postby Bu Lai En » 11 Jun 2010, 17:14

You should be able to translate it yourself and get it stamped at the district court. That's what I did, but it was 8 years ago, so take this with a grain of salt.
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

13 Recognized(s)

Postby springonion » 14 Jun 2010, 09:54

Get it translated yourself and stamped at any district court or Notary Public here in TW...I did it last year when I got married....Cheers & congratulations!!
I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be - Bret Hart
springonion
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby Chris » 14 Jun 2010, 10:12

Are you in Singapore or Taiwan at the moment?
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

78 Recommends(s)
169 Recognized(s)

Postby quarkz » 14 Jun 2010, 15:37

Thanks for all your help and congrats. I'm in Taiwan at the moment. I'll maybe just confirm again with the district court and see how it goes :-)
quarkz

ORIGINAL POSTER

x

Return to Marriage