Can anyone tell me about the immigration interview?

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Can anyone tell me about the immigration interview?

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 29 Jun 2010, 11:15

adamstrm wrote:Northcoast Surfer: Although the questions the kid asked weren't standard, could you give me a few examples so I can see what area they're going to be looking into? Am I going to have to remember the date of our first kiss or all of his extended family's Chinese names, or what?
No, no, it's nothing. I mean really. Please put the pin back in the stress grenade! Maybe this will put your mind at ease. He didn't ask me anything about my Taiwanese family at all. Also, my NIA officer wasn't a kid. He was at least 35 years old and probably an important NIA investigator, at least in his mind. Tip: See if he pulls out his identification when he arrives and identifies himself by name. Mine didn't and I demanded to see his identification when he arrived. Unprofessional little idiot. He's probably used to checking up on mail order brides and getting a royal welcome into their homes and offers of food and drink! What a shock he got by coming to my house! "Yeah, who the hell are you, why are you at my front gate, and what do you want? NIA? Show me your badge and why are you here?" :roflmao:

These questions are not in the order he asked them. Just some of the main ones I can remember without watching the video. Hopefully you will get a more professional NIA officer.

1. Where did you meet?
2. How long have you been married?
3. What do you both do for a living?
4. What's your education level?
5. How much money do both of you make?
6. Did you buy this house or are you just renting?
7. How much money did you pay for this house? You must be rich!
8. Why do you have 14 dogs? Don't they bite?
9. Why don't you want to live in the US? I would if I could.
10. Why do you live so far out in the country?
11. Why don't you have children? Why won't you have any children? Are you unable to have children?
12. Why isn't your wife a US citizen? Doesn't she want to get a passport?
13. Do you like living in Taiwan?
14. Do you eat Chinese food?
15. Can you speak Chinese? How about Minnan?
16. Whose cars are those outside?
17. Why do you have four cars?
18. Is that a surfboard? Can you surf? That is really a long surfboard!
19. Where are you from in the United States?
20. What was your occupation in the United States?
21. Wow! That's a huge bed! Where did you buy such a big bed!
22. Isn't it lonely and scary living out in the country without any neighbors? It sure seems inconvenient to me!
23. Is that a real wood burning stove? Where did you get that? That's really cool. Do you really use it or is it just for show?

So.....now that I've kicked in, please come back and tell us how your interview pans out and the stooooopid questions your NIA officer asks you and your husband. OK?
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer
Not actually banned (he just tells everyone he is)

175 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby bababa » 29 Jun 2010, 12:15

Northcoast Surfer wrote:9. Why don't you want to live in the US? I would if I could.

An immigration official admitting during the interview that he'd rather live in a different country himself! You'll never see that in an immigration interview in the USA or Canada.

Most of the first questions are the typical things asked at an immigration interview. Most of the rest sound like the typical things Chinese or Taiwanese people ask someone the first time they meet.
Though I would have thought the 14 dogs was the answer to why you live so far out in the country, and why you're not scared living so far from neighbours.
bababa
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

21 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 29 Jun 2010, 13:37

13. Do you like living in Taiwan?

No, f***head! I just want Taiwanese citizenship because I'm collecting passports. :roll:

Seriously? What a dumb question to ask someone who's in process of applying for naturalization. :loco:

You must have been smiling on the outside and crying on the inside. I know I would've been...
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 29 Jun 2010, 14:07

LOL...Two guys came to visit me. One didn't speak english and the other one had just returned to Taiwan after 14 yrs in southern California. He spoke excellent english.
The non-english speaking guy was the 'senior' of the two and tried to do the interview. It was a farce. I finally told the other guy I was not going to go thru this crap and if he had any questions I would only speak to him. He told his boss what I said...boss man harrumphed about it and went outside.
I told the younger guy that I came from Southern California to Tainan to get married. I came here so my wife wouldn't have to leave her job of many years. That was it.
He was amazed and we spent 20 minutes talking about what we missed about SoCali. Beach, cars, real motorcycles, food, etc...standard homesick fare.
Nothing else. That was the total of the "interview."
That was 5 yrs ago and they've never been back.

Must be my honest face and mature demeanor....:howyoudoin:
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby Okami » 29 Jun 2010, 14:36

TainanCowboy wrote:LOL...Two guys came to visit me. One didn't speak english and the other one had just returned to Taiwan after 14 yrs in southern California. He spoke excellent english.
The non-english speaking guy was the 'senior' of the two and tried to do the interview. It was a farce. I finally told the other guy I was not going to go thru this crap and if he had any questions I would only speak to him. He told his boss what I said...boss man harrumphed about it and went outside.
I told the younger guy that I came from Southern California to Tainan to get married. I came here so my wife wouldn't have to leave her job of many years. That was it.
He was amazed and we spent 20 minutes talking about what we missed about SoCali. Beach, cars, real motorcycles, food, etc...standard homesick fare.
Nothing else. That was the total of the "interview."
That was 5 yrs ago and they've never been back.

Must be my honest face and mature demeanor....:howyoudoin:
I preferred NCS's style. Honest face?!?! :roflmao:
Professor Walter Williams has remarked that he’s glad he went to college “before it became fashionable for white people to like black people.”
Forumosan avatar
Okami
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

8 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Marriage