Marriage and deportation

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Marriage and deportation

Postby igorveni » 25 Aug 2010, 08:07

The Booted One wrote:Irishtu,

Nope I'm Canadian. Would it help if I were English?

No, but as a Canadian, I don't think you are allowed to have a Manchester United avatar. :lol:
igorveni
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

1 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 26 Aug 2010, 13:04

There is quite a new 6-month visa-free (?) option available to Brits now, which I was going to suggest looking into, but now I know you're Canadian, there is no point. Sorry.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

48 Recommends(s)
31 Recognized(s)

Postby european » 05 Sep 2010, 15:42

irishstu wrote:

There is quite a new 6-month visa-free (?) option available to Brits now, which I was going to suggest looking into, but now I know you're Canadian, there is no point. Sorry.

So if you aren't allowed a visa for a year, you are suggesting coming in on what is commonly known as a landing visa (which for the British is 90 days which can be converted and allows another 90 days) which would give a Canadian 30 days?
european
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 05 Sep 2010, 17:16

If he lost his passport and got another with a new number it might be possible. But I wouldn't try.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

716 Recognized(s)

Postby The Booted One » 06 Sep 2010, 13:07

According to the immigration office, I would be denied entrance on any kind of visa for the year. Right now I'm in the middle of the appeals process and awaiting the decision of the appeal board. When dealing with the government nothing is quick!
The Booted One
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby irishstu » 10 Sep 2010, 15:46

european wrote:
irishstu wrote:

So if you aren't allowed a visa for a year, you are suggesting coming in on what is commonly known as a landing visa (which for the British is 90 days which can be converted and allows another 90 days) which would give a Canadian 30 days?

Well, I think it is actually properly known as "visa-exempt entry" ( http://www.boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=144 ... e=116&mp=2 ), and thought I had heard that this was sometimes an option even if people couldn't get an actual tourism/working visa (whether this is due to oversight or is official is another thing). Since the OP isn't British it doesn't really matter anyway, unless he's willing to leave the country every few weeks.

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu

48 Recommends(s)
31 Recognized(s)

Postby Taffy » 10 Sep 2010, 15:53

Not so sure about that, irishstu. I know one person (Canadian) who was denied visa-free entry because he was banned. He even changed his passport, to no avail. They held him at the airport for a few hours before sticking him on a flight back to his point of origin. It would be pretty remarkable if the authorities had overlooked visa-free entry as a loophole - banned means banned in all forms, as far as I know.
Taffy
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

102 Recommends(s)
48 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 10 Sep 2010, 15:56

Taffy wrote:Not so sure about that, irishstu. I know one person (Canadian) who was denied visa-free entry because he was banned. He even changed his passport, to no avail. They held him at the airport for a few hours before sticking him on a flight back to his point of origin. It would be pretty remarkable if the authorities had overlooked visa-free entry as a loophole - banned means banned in all forms, as far as I know.

Yeah, fair enough. This thread seems to confirm that too.
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=90419&hilit=

I was sure I'd read something about someone who did it, but maybe they were just lucky. Not recommended.

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu

48 Recommends(s)
31 Recognized(s)

Postby The Booted One » 10 Sep 2010, 19:54

Fellow posters,

Thanks for the suggestions, but I am way past bamboozling my way back in. There is a hearing scheduled for next week during which a verdict will be given on my appeal. Should know the answer at that point. Fingers crossed.
The Booted One
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby irishstu » 13 Sep 2010, 15:13

The Booted One wrote:Fellow posters,

Thanks for the suggestions, but I am way past bamboozling my way back in. There is a hearing scheduled for next week during which a verdict will be given on my appeal. Should know the answer at that point. Fingers crossed.

Good luck.

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu

48 Recommends(s)
31 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

Return to Marriage