Is a husband liable for a wife's debts?

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Is a husband liable for a wife's debts?

Postby Jaboney » 08 Sep 2010, 03:18

You know, ice raven, the later post about how this was hidden from you, and how your wife was taking some rather extreme acts behind your back... that I'd take seriously. The money, not so much, much as it'd be a bite in the ass.

Luck sorting your various issues.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Namahottie » 08 Sep 2010, 05:52

RobinTaiwan wrote:
Namahottie wrote:
Ideally...but my ability to do even that has been hamstrung as she took our entire year's savings, gave half to her boss to pay off a mistake, lent the other half to a friend, got it back, and spent it.

Oh snap! That would be grounds for divorce for me. Not to be gossipy about the situation but that proves why one needs to take finances seriously before, during and after a marriage.
Or it proves why you are still single. :wink:
Sulking about it, too, I'm guessing. :lol:

Nice potshot. Go into comedy I'm sure you'll do well.

Seriously, I understand what you are saying. My comment you quoted above was in response to the OP because he mentioned hoping he'd known about the 400k debt before he got married. 400k is not THAT much. If it's enough to stop you from marrying someone you love dearly, you are a cheapstake. No question.

400k is a lot. Enough to put future plans on hold. I guess I would be "a cheapstake cheapskate" because love doesn't pay the bills, cure cancer or create world peace as of yet. The reality is, marriage is a relationship that needs to be navigated with trust, strong communication and common values. If one partner is holding out then how in the hell do you expect to have love flourish in such an environment? To withhold such information from the onset, doesn't set healthy tone for the relationship. Did the OP say that this debt is now affected by 26% rate on a credit card?!?!?! That's a lot of interest on top of the current amount of principle and hell the way the economy is, no matter what country you in, you can't take for granted that it's going to be paid off by two incomes.
@michellemalkin Just so we're perfectly fucking clear here: You're a crazy fucking shitwad. Enjoy your night. Read more at @MayorEmanuel
Namahottie
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 08 Sep 2010, 10:33

RobinTaiwan wrote:
Namahottie wrote:
Ideally...but my ability to do even that has been hamstrung as she took our entire year's savings, gave half to her boss to pay off a mistake, lent the other half to a friend, got it back, and spent it.

Oh snap! That would be grounds for divorce for me. Not to be gossipy about the situation but that proves why one needs to take finances seriously before, during and after a marriage.
Or it proves why you are still single. :wink:
Sulking about it, too, I'm guessing. :lol:

Seriously, I understand what you are saying. My comment you quoted above was in response to the OP because he mentioned hoping he'd known about the 400k debt before he got married. 400k is not THAT much. If it's enough to stop you from marrying someone you love dearly, you are a cheapstake. No question.

Robin, it is not the money, nor the amount of money itself to be precise. It is the lack of responsibility, the lying, the foolish decisions, until the otehr party is dragged into the mess.

Finances are a major breaker in relationships. It is not about teh money itself, it ios the management of teh problem by the partner which tells all. The problem will not go away by just paying. This person cannot bne trusted with money -not at work, not at home.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

633 Recommends(s)
502 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 08 Sep 2010, 13:08

Everybody deserves a second chance, but it looks like you'll have to control your finances by yourself for a long-time. Also, losing a lot of money when you don't have money is certainly a big deal. There are lots of rich folks in Taiwan who routinely go along with this with their wives/gfs, but for us regular folk it's not an option.

Options for handling the debt

1. If credit card debt you can negotiate down, the govt. will back you as the banks are legally mandated to reduce 'kazhai' , as Icon said. Check with a financial consultant on the procedure, you might have to miss some payments etc. before they let you do this. You can get a lowered interest rate and probably knock off a fair bit of the principal.

2. Leave to NZ and leave the debt in Taiwan, paying back 400k is a pain in the ass. See how it works out in NZ, if good great, if not the debt is your wife's problem (kind of fair way to deal with things in my view).

I have experience of debt problems in Taiwan (through partner) and it was pretty rough with the phone calls and intimidating tactics the bank employs. Having debt hanging over a relationship is a real sour feeling, I know, it's hard for somebody not to bring it up in a fight etc. Thankfully credit card 'kazhai' debts have a lot of legal protection now!
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1573 Recommends(s)
574 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 08 Sep 2010, 13:15

Damn, Robintaiwan! I wish I was as wealthy as you must be! NT$400k is like, what? A whole quarter's salary for me. I would consider it a fair old chunk o' change, personally.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 08 Sep 2010, 13:16

Hi ice raven,

Sorry, I don't any useful information for you. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with this.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu

62 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby zender » 08 Sep 2010, 15:56

And you have? :ponder:

Anyway, good luck, OP. The amount of money is not as important as the way it was hidden from you. Hope you can get over this hump. One day you'll talk about this and laugh.

Or maybe not.
zender
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

82 Recommends(s)
110 Recognized(s)

Postby RobinTaiwan » 09 Sep 2010, 00:23

sandman wrote:Damn, Robintaiwan! I wish I was as wealthy as you must be! NT$400k is like, what? A whole quarter's salary for me. I would consider it a fair old chunk o' change, personally.
It's definitely not just pocket change. I'm not saying it's a small sum. I'm saying it's a small sum in the grand scheme of things. You'll spend far more than that in the next X years with a young one growing up, sandman. Would 400K make you reconsider it all way back before you tied the knot?

Regarding Icon's comments, I don't think I need to be lectured about the importance of sound financial management in a marriage. You make perfect sense and what you are saying is actually a provision to my opinion herein expressed. As the OP decides to stay with his wife despite her questionable financial management, he has to tighten that belt and get through this with her. Make changes where applicable to prevent this from happening again, etc.

Admittedly, I think I've been a bit too bold. Despite my rigid opinion, I understand this is not a good predicament for the OP.

Think this through, do what you think is right and I hope things will turn out for the best for you and your family, ice raven.
Spring would be something else if winter was as white as it is made out to be.
Forumosan avatar
RobinTaiwan
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

2 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

Postby BlackAdder » 09 Sep 2010, 01:27

In a few years from now you won’t miss that 400K. What you may miss is your wife, partnership and unity.

Live and learn.
Take this opportunity to get any other skeletons out of the closet.
Agree a forward financial plan.
Re-connect.
Laugh about it a few years from now.
Expect more truths and setbacks down the line. We are all human.

Try the lawyer road if you don't wish to stand united with your wife.
"For scientific leadership, give me Scott; for swift and efficient travel, Amundsen; but when you are in a hopeless situation, when there seems to be no way out, get on your knees and pray for Shackleton.”
BlackAdder
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby ice raven » 09 Sep 2010, 03:04

Again, thanks very much for the help and support.

RobinTaiwan wrote:Admittedly, I think I've been a bit too bold. Despite my rigid opinion, I understand this is not a good predicament for the OP.

Think this through, do what you think is right and I hope things will turn out for the best for you and your family, ice raven.

Thanks RobinTaiwan.

Very good advice there too, Blackadder, and I'll bear it in mind. Though I think you misunderstood my lawyer comment - I'm considering seeking the advice of a local lawyer so my wife can better understand her position with the bank, rather than seeking separation advice.
ice raven
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Marriage