Name change endorsement in TW passport

Procedures, processes, JFRV, potential documentation difficulties, whether to get married in Taiwan or overseas, as well as legal basis for divorce in Taiwan, including all related problems and pitfalls, child custody, alimony payments, abandonment, extra-marital affairs, and other complications...
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Name change endorsement in TW passport

Postby ryanjgillies » 18 Nov 2010, 01:06

Hi all, I'm not sure where this post belongs, but since it's loosley related to marriage I figured it may as well go here!

I recently got married, and now have a wonderful taiwanese wife! We discussed our names and how we wish to go forward, and in the UK she decided she would like to have her family name as a middle name, and take my surname as hers. She also wanted to change her forename to what all of her friends call her.

So, she has now gone from Lu-Fei Wang to Lufeianna Wang Gillies.

We were in a hurry to get it done as we wanted to apply for her further leave to remain visa here in the UK in her new name rather than her original name. We visited the Taipei office in London and they gave her an endorsement in her passport which states she "is also known as Lufeianna Wang Gillies", and said when her passport renews it could be issued in this name.

We took this to the UK Border Agency for the application but they have stated that it appears to be an alias rather than a legal name change, and subsequently issued all of her paperwork in her original name. Whilst we're glad she got it, we're annoyed about the situation with her name.

We've contacted the TRO here for clarification on the status of her name, but they seem rather slow at the moment, so on the off chance I wonder if anyone here can shed some light on the situation?

Is Lufeianna Wang Gillies her new english name, or is this just an alias that she is also known by?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan J Gillies : Longtan, TW : Milton Keynes, UK : Personal : Work : Facebook
Forumosan avatar
ryanjgillies
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)

Re: Name change endorsement in TW passport

Postby Satellite TV » 18 Nov 2010, 12:29

ryanjgillies wrote:Hi all, I'm not sure where this post belongs, but since it's loosley related to marriage I figured it may as well go here!

I recently got married, and now have a wonderful taiwanese wife! We discussed our names and how we wish to go forward, and in the UK she decided she would like to have her family name as a middle name, and take my surname as hers. She also wanted to change her forename to what all of her friends call her.

So, she has now gone from Lu-Fei Wang to Lufeianna Wang Gillies.

Is Lufeianna Wang Gillies her new english name, or is this just an alias that she is also known by?

Thanks in advance!

I would say it's just a pesonal alias. A legal name change normally is done in the UK by deed pole and also if put on the marriage certificate can be used. I have both my Chinese names and my birth names on my ROC passport. I'm an Australian who became an ROC Citizen. People use my alias Jim, yet my formal given name is James and I can't change that on my passport unless I legally change my name. Jim is simply my Alias just as bob/ Robert etc.

When your wife returnes to Taiwan she would be using her Wang Lu Fei name not the Alias.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby ryanjgillies » 18 Nov 2010, 21:29

Satellite TV wrote:...I have both my Chinese names and my birth names on my ROC passport. I'm an Australian who became an ROC Citizen. People use my alias Jim, yet my formal given name is James and I can't change that on my passport unless I legally change my name. Jim is simply my Alias just as bob/ Robert etc.

Just to clarify, James is what is written in your passport and not Jim? In which case what you've said is understandable. But presumably if your passport said Jim in it, you'd have every right to use it as your actual name?

This is the bit that confuses me as to what my wife has been granted. Is this new name endorsement she has in her passport a sort of Taiwanese "deed poll", or is it simply an alias, like Jim and Bob?
Ryan J Gillies : Longtan, TW : Milton Keynes, UK : Personal : Work : Facebook
Forumosan avatar
ryanjgillies
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 19 Nov 2010, 04:41

ryanjgillies wrote:
Satellite TV wrote:...I have both my Chinese names and my birth names on my ROC passport. I'm an Australian who became an ROC Citizen. People use my alias Jim, yet my formal given name is James and I can't change that on my passport unless I legally change my name. Jim is simply my Alias just as bob/ Robert etc.

Just to clarify, James is what is written in your passport and not Jim? In which case what you've said is understandable. But presumably if your passport said Jim in it, you'd have every right to use it as your actual name?

This is the bit that confuses me as to what my wife has been granted. Is this new name endorsement she has in her passport a sort of Taiwanese "deed poll", or is it simply an alias, like Jim and Bob?

Well as it says Also Known As. Obviously many ROC Nationals move abroad and marry foreigners. Also many ROC Nationals use a given English name and can have that used on ROC Passports. People also adopt new names in the case of marriage like your wife has. James is what is written in my passport as I have no legal change to Jim even though that's what I've been called my whole life. I don't know why parents issue you with one name on your birth certificate and call you another :lol:

At least all your papers are accepted by the UK Border Agency. Congrats on your marriage. Has your wife given you a Chinese name yet?
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV

Return to Marriage