Conscription, Taiwan ID and Tai Bao Zheng Question

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Conscription, Taiwan ID and Tai Bao Zheng Question

Postby r3dl4b3l » 17 Aug 2011, 13:00

Hi all!

I was born in Taiwan pre-1984 and moved to the US when I was 4 I am now 29 and am a naturalized US citizen. I have a Taiwan Passport and just renewed it last week that I have not renewed since the first was issued to me when I moved to the States. Now I want to go back to Taiwan to apply for my Tai Bao Zheng but reading the requirements for it, I realized that I need to get a Taiwanese ID in order to apply for a Tai Bao Zheng. My questions are the following:

1. Do I still fall under the 4 month rule?
2. Can I get a Taiwanese ID since being away for so long? My original passport does have an ID number and a passport number as well. I haven't received my new passport yet.
r3dl4b3l
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Conscription, Taiwan ID and Tai Bao Zheng Question

Postby Tony the Tiger » 18 Aug 2011, 22:17

r3dl4b3l wrote:
1. Do I still fall under the 4 month rule?
2. Can I get a Taiwanese ID since being away for so long? My original passport does have an ID number and a passport number as well. I haven't received my new passport yet.

1. Yes.
2. You would need to stay in Taiwan continuously for a period of one year.
Born in Taiwan. Grew up in California. Graduated from Cal. State Fullerton in 2008. Studied Chinese for 3 semesters at Shi-Da. Decided to live in Taiwan so I joined the Taiwanese army as 替代役.

Full-time poker player, Part-time English teacher.
Forumosan avatar
Tony the Tiger
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby kaikai34 » 18 Aug 2011, 23:34

r3dl4b3l wrote:1. Do I still fall under the 4 month rule?

1. Yes.
2. Yes you can get your ID. Since you already have your ID number, you should be able to get the card immediately and bypass the year long wait.
Forumosan avatar
kaikai34
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

22 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby r3dl4b3l » 19 Aug 2011, 07:20

I'm not sure about the second item if I have to stay a year or not. Does anyone know who I should contact about this?

Also when if I decide to enter Taiwan with my Taiwanese passport when should I fill out the online document about entering and leaving every four months?

One more question I have is if I have to stay in Taiwan to complete my residency for a year or how many days out of the year, can I still visit China without a Tai Bao Zheng?
r3dl4b3l

ORIGINAL POSTER

Conscription form and entering/exiting Taiwan with two passports

Postby r3dl4b3l » 15 Sep 2011, 06:58

When should the conscription form found on nas.immigration.gov.tw be filled out? It is item #3 and can be submitted online. Should this be filled and submitted before or upon arrival to Taiwan?

Also when I get to Taiwan I will be getting my ID card the next day and applying for my Tai Bao Zheng as well as soon as I get in to Taiwan. I plan on going to Hong Kong the following week and not sure if I'll have my Ti Bao Zheng by then. My question is can I go to Hong Kong with my US passport even though I entered in to Taiwan with my Taiwan passport or can I go to Hong Kong with just the Taiwan passport with no Tai Bao Zheng?
r3dl4b3l

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Wynsen » 20 Oct 2011, 11:28

Hey dude, I just saw this post as I was browsing around and I'm pretty much in the same boat you're in.

From what I understand, I was born in Taiwan and remember where I lived before my family immigrated to the USA. I would have to go to the household registry in Yonghe to get my Taiwanese ID with my ROC passport with overseas Chinese stamp. After which I take my butt over to the "bing yi ke" to get my exit permit or online, but I'd rather go in person 1st time. There's a whole law surrounding that whole 4 month thing, posted here http://www.nca.gov.tw/EngVer/eng-6.asp, choose option #7

The language used in the English version is weird and I had my parents help look at the Chinese version, and of course that didn't really help much as they aren't lawyers and would be the same as any other 60 yr old American reading legal American documents.. shit gets confusing.
However, I tried to break it down and after conferring with them continuously. What we seemed to have agreed on is that the law says I am able to stay over 4 months but I cannot stay longer than 364 days continuously, twice. If I do, I get conscripted. SO basically, in theory, this is how it would work..

11/15/11: Enter Taiwan with ROC passport w/ Overseas Chinese stamp
11/16/11: Goto Household registry and get ID card so I get to look for work and apply for insurance and all the benefits of being a citizen.
11/17/11: Goto Bing Yi Ke and get exit permit or get online
11/10/11: Leave Taiwan with ROC passport w/ Overseas Chinese stamp
11/10/12: Enter Hong Kong with USA passport
11/11/12: Exit Hong Kong with USA passport
11/11/12: Enter Taiwan with ROC passport w/ Overseas Chinese stamp
11/12/12: Goto Bing Yi Ke and get exit permit again or get again online
11/01/13: Leave Taiwan with ROC passport w/ Overseas Chinese stamp
11/01/13: Enter Shanghai with USA passport
11/02/13: Leave Shanghai with USA passport
11/02/13: Enter Taiwan with ROC passport w/ Overseas Chinese stamp
11/03/13: Goto Bing Yi Ke and get exit permit again or get again online
03/01/14: Leave Taiwan with ROC passport w/ Overseas Chinese stamp and USA Passport (ask them to stamp it)
03/02/14: Enter LAX with USA passport
03/15/14: Enter Taiwan with ROC passport w/ Overseas Chinese stamp
2014: Rinse and repeat until mandatory conscription is abolished, Overseas Chinese stamp now useless and dual citizenship is in full effect. Entering and leaving any country is possible whenever with either passport.

This is just a scenario.. if anyone believes this to be wrong, please correct me!!
Hey don't poke my fat. My av? No, that's not me. That's just some gangsta Mongorians.
Forumosan avatar
Wynsen
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

2 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Dual Nationality