Moving Back to Taiwan

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Moving Back to Taiwan

Postby steel108 » 30 Aug 2011, 09:04

Been looking through the threads and I couldn't find consistent answers so I figured I would just ask.....

Born in Taiwan in 1978, mom is Taiwanese and dad was in the US army. I lived in Taiwan until I was 9, then moved to the States to live with my mom and stepdad (lived with grandpa and grandma in Taiwan).

I want to move back to Taiwan, but have received a lot of differing opinions on dual citizenship. My mom says it would be very easy since I speak fluent Mandarin and grew up in Taiwan. Google has said it's impossible without giving up my US citizenship. Some posts in this forum say it might be impossible.

From what I have found, citizenship in Taiwan is only passed down through the father so that doesn't apply to me. What are my options? Thanks... if there are threads that I should read, just let me know.
steel108
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Moving Back to Taiwan

Postby tommy525 » 30 Aug 2011, 13:59

I am in the same boat. Murkin dad and Taiwanese mom. I think if you hadnt gotten tAiwan citizenship way back when you are pretty much out of luck. You will have to either :

invest in taiwan and get an ARc that way
marry a taiwanese and get an ARC
work legally in taiwan (and be qualified) and get an ARC

After five years of an ARC i understand you can apply for a PARC and get more freedoms or you can apply for citizenship but you must give up your US citizenship.

id also be interested in knowing what else could be done.
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

525 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Re: Moving Back to Taiwan

Postby saddletramp » 30 Aug 2011, 15:34

It looks like you might have been born two years too soon. If I recall right, when the law changed in 2000, allowing children born to Taiwan mothers to have dual citizenship, they made it retroactive to 20 years, which I guess would put the cutoff at 1980. Can anyone verify that?

My son was born in 2002, so it was not an issue.
Forumosan avatar
saddletramp
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

113 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Return to Dual Nationality