Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Two Passports, How to Handle Airport?

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby Mordeth » 02 Sep 2011, 16:19

Alright, my son now has a Canadian and Taiwanese passport. Had some hassles with the Taiwanese one because my wife forgot to mention that he already has an English name. So they just put the pinyin for his name. They are correcting it now.....otherwise his plane ticket wouldn't work with both of his passports.

And now my question is.....if we're going to Canada then which passport does he show when?

Exiting Taiwan:

Entering Canda:

Exiting Canada:

Entering Taiwan:
Mordeth
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Two Passports, How to Handle Airport?

Postby Taffy » 02 Sep 2011, 16:25

TCCT.
Taffy
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Postby sandman » 02 Sep 2011, 18:22

We didn't put his English name on his Taiwanese passport and we didn't put his Chinese name on his British one. The airline doesn't care which passport you use to validate the name on his air ticket, as long as one of them matches.
As for immigration, exit Taiwan on the Taiwanese one, enter Canada on the Canadian one, exit Canada on the Canadian one and re-enter Taiwan on the Taiwanese one.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

Postby Chris » 02 Sep 2011, 18:27

Wow, that was fast!! Congrats!

Taiwan passport to exit Taiwan.
Canadian passport to enter Canada.
(Canadian passport to leave Canada, assuming this step is even necessary.)
Taiwan passport to enter Taiwan.
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby scomargo » 02 Sep 2011, 21:43

Chris wrote:Wow, that was fast!! Congrats!

Yeah, it was fast. It would be great Mordeth if you could update the thread asking about how quickly Taiwan passports are issued. You've asked a lot of questions lately and received a lot of help. Others may be in your situation some day, so updating the thread(s) with some info would be a nice gesture. I'm glad that things have worked out so well for you.

By the way, I'm in agreement with everybody above about which passports should be used. There's probably several threads on this already, by the way.
scomargo
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

Postby Mordeth » 03 Sep 2011, 00:33

sandman wrote:We didn't put his English name on his Taiwanese passport and we didn't put his Chinese name on his British one. The airline doesn't care which passport you use to validate the name on his air ticket, as long as one of them matches.
As for immigration, exit Taiwan on the Taiwanese one, enter Canada on the Canadian one, exit Canada on the Canadian one and re-enter Taiwan on the Taiwanese one.

I find this very interesting. The airline (Delta) was fairly adamant that we had to use the same passport for all countries/airports otherwise the names wouldn't match. So we had to pay twice for the Taiwan passport to redo the name.
Mordeth

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby sandman » 03 Sep 2011, 01:46

Mordeth wrote:
sandman wrote:We didn't put his English name on his Taiwanese passport and we didn't put his Chinese name on his British one. The airline doesn't care which passport you use to validate the name on his air ticket, as long as one of them matches.

I find this very interesting. The airline (Delta) was fairly adamant that we had to use the same passport for all countries/airports otherwise the names wouldn't match. So we had to pay twice for the Taiwan passport to redo the name.

We were flying to Europe, not America. Maybe that's the difference? Although I'm pretty sure maoman is in the same position with his kids' passports as me, and he WAS going to Canada.
For us, we go to the check-in desk and simply show the passport that has the same name as the one on the ticket. This is a totally different thing from when you go through passport control. At passport control in Taiwan, you need to show his local passport, and ONLY that passport. They have no need to know that he has another one, and they don't care. Same with entering Canada, as far as I know. They see his Canadian passport and that's that. Vice-versa is the same.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

Postby Mordeth » 03 Sep 2011, 17:31

Also there is a new law in Taiwan. You locals can't pick their own English name for IDs (credit cards, passports...etc) anymore. In the past they could. Now it HAS to be the pinyin of their Chinese name.

And in my son's case he'll have 3 full names in his Taiwan passport: Chinese, pinyin, English. And we had to show them his Canadian ID so they'd allow the third name.
Mordeth

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby cranky laowai » 03 Sep 2011, 17:43

Mordeth wrote:Also there is a new law in Taiwan. You locals can't pick their own English name for IDs (credit cards, passports...etc) anymore. In the past they could. Now it HAS to be the pinyin of their Chinese name.

That's surprising and rather worrisome. People with the Ministry of the Interior and other ministries told me that people would be free to choose their own spellings, etc. Can you provide any more information on what exactly is going on or who told you this? If there really has been an official change (instead of some official just being confused), I'd like to find out more about this.
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

Postby zebigbos22 » 03 Sep 2011, 23:11

so no more Mr Lee, but Mr Li?
zebigbos22
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Dual Nationality