Proof of Chinese ethnicity

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Proof of Chinese ethnicity

Postby Zla'od » 28 Sep 2011, 21:36

Article 11 of the enforcement rules of the Overseas Chinese Affairs Commission (OCAC) reads as follows:

“Document of proof of Chinese ethnicity” referred to in the Act means a document of proof of foreign identity that states nationality or ethnicity of the holder as Chinese, or a certificate of Chinese ethnicity issued by the Overseas embassy and consulate, representative office, office or other agency authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (hereinafter referred to as “Overseas Misson”).

I would like to apply for a "certificate of Chinese ethnicity," but have no official documents stating my ethnicity to be Chinese. Could I apply for such a document in Taiwan, or would I have to wait until I can do it from abroad? And what is their working definition of "ethnic Chinese"? (That is, what specific criteria would I have to prove?) And what sort of evidence would these offices regard as persuasive? (They don't just go by looks, do they?)
[I can't resist pasting this brilliant post by Bryan Davis, from dharmawheel.net)
Here is how I introduced [Buddhism to] my grandmother when she saw a chenrezig pendant hanging in my car:

Grandmother: Is that Buddha? Are you some kine of Buddhist? (in a sarcastic aggressive tone)
Me: No, it's a Chinese Jesus. (anything with Asian flair to her was chinese)
Grandmother: (tone now changed to happy and excited) Really? I did'nt know chinese had jesus?
Zla'od
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recognized(s)

Re: Proof of Chinese ethnicity

Postby Icon » 29 Sep 2011, 10:50

Dunno if you can apply here. What I've been told is that the line has to be paternal -you must be Chinese on your father's side- and maximum 6 generations ago. The study on the records takes a while.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

529 Recommends(s)
410 Recognized(s)

Postby Zla'od » 29 Sep 2011, 21:18

What records? And on what basis would they judge the Chinese ethnicity of the father?
[I can't resist pasting this brilliant post by Bryan Davis, from dharmawheel.net)
Here is how I introduced [Buddhism to] my grandmother when she saw a chenrezig pendant hanging in my car:

Grandmother: Is that Buddha? Are you some kine of Buddhist? (in a sarcastic aggressive tone)
Me: No, it's a Chinese Jesus. (anything with Asian flair to her was chinese)
Grandmother: (tone now changed to happy and excited) Really? I did'nt know chinese had jesus?
Zla'od

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 29 Sep 2011, 21:24

Zla'od wrote:What records? And on what basis would they judge the Chinese ethnicity of the father?

oh THIS could be good.

:popcorn:
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 30 Sep 2011, 09:36

For example, our family dates to some poor soul who thought he was going to the US and landed in Panama. So when the request was put, apparently they checked some records going all the way back to Canton. My family put the request in the local Overseas Compatriot office, they do the checking. You could have some documentation -pictures, proof of marriage with the names of teh people involved, property deeds- that help establish you are a descendant of so and so.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

529 Recommends(s)
410 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Dual Nationality