Can I technically not give up US citizenship?

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Can I technically not give up US citizenship?

Postby Militarygamer » 19 Nov 2011, 02:05

Just a bit of insight, if I am want to apply for ROC citizenship, the law requires me first to renounce my foreign nationality. I am a US National but my mother is a British citizen which makes my eligable to apply for British nationality as well. If I am holding a UK passport, could I just reannouch my UK citizenship and maintain my US citizenship? I could always regain it but not in the case of US.
Militarygamer
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)

Re: Can I technically not give up US citizenship?

Postby achdizzy1099 » 19 Nov 2011, 02:45

No. Gaining Taiwanese citizenship is arduous. Since so few do it, and so few are actually willing to go through the rigorous process, they have time to investigate those that do. You have to understand, the concept of someone wanting to 'be Taiwanese' is very new to this nation. In fact, it has tended to be the exact opposite since 1949!

You might get away with a passport trick here-and-there, but when it comes to becoming a citizen, you MUST renounce ALL citizenships to gain this one. In the modern day of the internet and other information networks, no one is going to 'slip' under the radar. And once you are caught, it's all over in terms of attaining Taiwan citizenship.

T
Some people have a big mouth.....
Forumosan avatar
achdizzy1099
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

5 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 19 Nov 2011, 06:23

achdizzy1099 wrote:You might get away with a passport trick here-and-there, but when it comes to becoming a citizen, you MUST renounce ALL citizenships to gain this one. In the modern day of the internet and other information networks, no one is going to 'slip' under the radar. And once you are caught, it's all over in terms of attaining Taiwan citizenship.

T

Sorry. Not Correct. In order to become a naturalized Taiwan citizen, you are NOT required to renounce all citizenships to attain it.

It is possible to have dual US and British citizenship and subsequently renounce British citizenship in order to satisfy the renouncing requirement for Taiwan citizenship, but still retain US citizenship. However, you CAN'T enter Taiwan on your US passport and reside in Taiwan for the required 5 years and then apply for Taiwan naturalization, but renounce the British citizenship instead of the US. You are required to renounce the citizenship of the country for which you have entered and resided in Taiwan.

So, in the case of our junior juris doctor militarygamer, he would have to leave Taiwan and re-enter on his British passport, establish a work-permit and ARC as a British national and then establish the required five year residency whilst earning the minimum 2X the basic wage during these five years (if married to a Taiwan citizen, the requirement is three years). Then if qualified, he could apply for naturalization and renounce the British citizenship, claim Taiwan citizenship after one more year of waiting as a TARC holder and then he would have Taiwanese and US citizenship. Then with the laws of Britain, could reclaim British citizenship without prejudice. Not necessarily an easy process, but definitely doable. However, since he has already entered Taiwan on his US passport, he would have to leave and restart all over again from day one as a British citizen if he takes this course of action.

This post was recommended by jimipresley (19 Nov 2011, 06:29)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

175 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby Militarygamer » 20 Nov 2011, 11:17

Thanks, well in practice it is not as easy as it seems, I guess it only works in theory.
Militarygamer
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 20 Nov 2011, 12:14

Militarygamer wrote:Thanks, well in practice it is not as easy as it seems, I guess it only works in theory.

Nothing theoretical about it. It works.

Try this one. If you're an American and you have a Taiwanese spouse, you need to first take them to America to live and put in the required time for them to first get a green card and then become a naturalized US citizen. Then come back to Taiwan and put in the required three years of residency and apply for naturalization. Once approved, renounce you US citizenship, wait one year as a TARC holder and then claim your Taiwan citizenship. Then, your naturalized American citizen spouse sponsors you for a spousal visa and a green card. Return to the US and then apply for naturalization. Pass the test and become a naturalized US citizen! This also is not theoretical, but is extremely time consuming. Total years required are more than 13 years if you have a Taiwan spouse right now!
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer

175 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 08 Dec 2011, 03:31

achdizzy1099 wrote:No. Gaining Taiwanese citizenship is arduous. Since so few do it, and so few are actually willing to go through the rigorous process, they have time to investigate those that do. You have to understand, the concept of someone wanting to 'be Taiwanese' is very new to this nation. In fact, it has tended to be the exact opposite since 1949!

You might get away with a passport trick here-and-there, but when it comes to becoming a citizen, you MUST renounce ALL citizenships to gain this one. In the modern day of the internet and other information networks, no one is going to 'slip' under the radar. And once you are caught, it's all over in terms of attaining Taiwan citizenship.

Only several thousand people a year apply for ROC nationality. Not a lot but more than a few. You only are required to renounce the nationality on the ARC you use to apply for naturalization in Taiwan. However many countries also do not allow dual nationality such as Germany Denmark Japan Singapore etc that these people would end up with only ROC nationality if they decided to renounce. Of course ROC Nationals like myself can resume nationality ( if the country you renounced from allows it ) and become dual or multi-nationals.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

x

Return to Dual Nationality