Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

dad chinese ? = me chinese?

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

dad chinese ? = me chinese?

Postby sbtan101 » 30 Jan 2012, 17:47

My dad was born in the philippines. His dad is a chinese national from china. When my dad was 26 years old he gave up his chinese citizenship to setup a business in the philippines. I'm just curious if its still possible for me to obtain a chinese citizenship?
- confused filipino who wants to live in taiwan =)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 1
Joined: 24 Jun 2011, 01:35

Re: dad chinese ? = me chinese?

Postby TainanCowboy » 30 Jan 2012, 18:30

This is a really good question.

Should be an interesting thread.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
Kid Rock - Born Free
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
Isaiah 40:31
User avatar
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
Posts: 16233
Joined: 18 Jun 2004, 17:50
Location: Tainan - The Original Taiwan

Re: dad chinese ? = me chinese?

Postby Steviebike » 30 Jan 2012, 20:07

I might be walking into the obvious here...

Do you want PRoC citizenship?

Or do you want ROC citizenship?

Very very important distinction.
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
User avatar
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Posts: 1504
Joined: 12 Oct 2011, 16:26
Location: Taipei

Re: dad chinese ? = me chinese?

Postby gnaij » 01 Feb 2012, 11:46

Post-2002, it is no longer possible to obtain a Republic of China passport and exercise your status as a Republic of China national without household registration by virtue of your Chinese ethnicity. You would either have to show that either parent has/or had during your lifetime a ROC passport/ID card or that you were born within the official borders of the Republic of China. How did you dad renounce his Chinese nationality, and was this done before you were born? You basically have to be born to a national to be a national, but if he was no longer a ROC national when you were born, then I don't see how you could be a ROC national.

Either way, being an unregistered national doesn't give you residency rights in Taiwan, and you would still need a permit to work if you concurrently hold Philippines nationality. The only thing it does is entitle you to a once-extendable 3-month entry permit which allows you to stay in Taiwan for 6 months. Even if you are considered a ROC national, you would need to legally reside in Taiwan for a lengthy period of time before becoming eligible for a National ID card and other benefits.
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)
Posts: 90
Joined: 10 Dec 2011, 10:36

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Dual Nationality

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests