Overseas Chinese looking to get back into Taiwan, advice needed.

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Overseas Chinese looking to get back into Taiwan, advice needed.

Postby jzgdian » 02 Apr 2012, 21:23

Hi everyone, I'm an overseas chinese who's looking to get back into Taiwan seeking some advice, here is some information about my background and current situtation.

-Both parents are Taiwanese, who have migrated to Singapore for work.
    - I was made and born in Singapore but was not registered as a Singapore citizen then, instead I was a Permenant Resident similar to my parents and I held an ROC passport.
    - I have spent all my life in Singapore, only going back to Taiwan a few times for periods not exceeding a month.
    - I was drafted into the Singapore Army as required when I was 20 and served 2 years. I then got my Singapore citizenship and passport after my service, I was also required to renounce my ROC passport before that.
    - My father has passed away a few years ago, my mother has decided to return and reside in Taiwan and since then I have worked and stayed in Singapore.
Fast forward to the present, as my mother is getting on in years and staying alone in Taiwan (we bought an apartment in Taiwan for her to stay in and due to family matters we are not on speaking terms with the rest of the extended family), I am considering heading back to Taiwan to take care of my mother.

Now I've run into immigration issues, I wish to be able to reside in Taiwan for an extended period of time instead of using my Singapore passport for visa exempt entries of 30 days. I'm also unwilling to give up my Singapore citizenship and acquire a ROC passport as the Singapore government does not recognise duo citizenship and also most of my assets are still in Singapore, there is also the issue of getting conscripted into the Taiwanese military since I'm born after 1984 and still under 36 years old.

I have read some posts here stating that you would be exempt from conscription from the Taiwanese military if you've already served in the military of another country, however the response I got from the Taiwan representative office here in Singapore gave a different answer and stated that I was still required to serve.

As I'm horrible with reading laws and regulations and coupled with the fact that my chinese is still rather terrible (and we use simplified instead of traditional), I wondering what options are available to me.

In short I wish to be able to reside in Taiwan for an extended periods of time a year or more, but am not willing to give up my current citizenship and reacquire a Taiwan passport or serve in her military.

I apologise if my situation is different from most other overseas chinese from America etc where duo citizenship is allowed, but I would appreciate any advice given.
jzgdian
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Overseas Chinese looking to get back into Taiwan, advice needed.

Postby gnaij » 08 Apr 2012, 12:43

Apply for a Visitor Visa with your Singaporean passport. I don't what TECO will offer you, but I have a 60-day multiple entry visitor visa that can be extended twice by presenting my parent's household registration documents to NIA. The 60 days reset each time I leave Taiwan, and the visa is valid for 5 years. The reason indicated in the application was "visiting relatives." This means I can live in Taiwan for up to 180 days without leaving if I had to. Leaving once every 6 months isn't all that bad...
gnaij
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby jzgdian » 07 May 2012, 16:23

So I went to pay another visit to the representive office, and while I can apply for a 60-day visitor visa they said that it wasn't mutliple entries, and that it could not be extended. They didn't mention anything about the visa being reset if you leave Taiwan. May I ask how recent was your case? I'm not sure if the regulations were changed recently or if the lady at the counter was spewing bullshit at me.
jzgdian

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby gnaij » 07 May 2012, 17:40

jzgdian wrote:So I went to pay another visit to the representive office, and while I can apply for a 60-day visitor visa they said that it wasn't mutliple entries, and that it could not be extended. They didn't mention anything about the visa being reset if you leave Taiwan. May I ask how recent was your case? I'm not sure if the regulations were changed recently or if the lady at the counter was spewing bullshit at me.

I applied on a US passport. There may be some reciprocity agreements in place that make your case different, since US B1/B2 visas are usually 5-year and multiple entry too. If it's single-entry, then it does not get reset by exiting and reentering - it is no longer valid once you exit. What did you state as the reason for visiting?
gnaij
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

5 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Dual Nationality