Dual/ wants to work/ live in Taiwan without conscript

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Dual/ wants to work/ live in Taiwan without conscript

Postby mq007 » 04 Apr 2012, 20:11

Currently, I'm in Korea.

I was born in Taiwan and came to Canada at age 8. I am a Canadian citizen and I have a Canadian passport and a ROC passport. I am a musician and currently Taiwan is the only option for me to pursue my career. That being said, the first job that I will look for is buxiban/ teaching English. I am worried about many things. First of all the 183 days stay within two years or stay less than 4 months, will I be able to work there without being drafted for military service? If I were to fly to a different country on one day and came back to Taiwan the same day, would that refresh the 183 days? Will I be able to get a working visa? When I arrive to Taiwan, I probably will not have my ROC passport with me as it is in Canada and I'm in Korea now. My Canada passport says I'm born in Taipei/Taiwan, but doesn't have any numbers or ID attach to that section.

My situation is pretty messy, but thank you for taking your time to read this and I would appreciate all kinds of help!
mq007
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Dual/ wants to work/ live in Taiwan without conscript

Postby mq007 » 04 Apr 2012, 23:16

Sorry for the newbness in the forum. I found http://rocguide.blogspot.com/ answered a bit of my fly to another country and come back. But I still need answers from other questions, thank you very much!

Edit: Does getting a working visa in Taiwan extend my stay without being drafted? Assuming I use my Canadian passport?
mq007

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby gnaij » 08 Apr 2012, 12:38

It's hard to understand your question because you confused and combined several different issues. When were you born? If you were born 1985 or later, the 183 days per calendar year for two calendar years limitation is cumulative - you cannot reset anything by leaving Taiwan. If you were born 1984 or earlier, you can retain overseas Chinese status by leaving Taiwan once every 4 months. What's your question?
gnaij
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby mq007 » 08 Apr 2012, 22:39

Sorry, but my question is changed as I researched more in this forum. I am born after 1985. The 183 days duration, am I legally be able to work without being dragged into military service? If I were to report a medical disability for not participating military service, how can I do that and is there a list of medical reasons that exempt from the duty? I have Scoliosis and I don't really know if that can be an exemption.
mq007

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby gnaij » 09 Apr 2012, 07:24

I normally try to avoid flaming people on internet forums, but dude, your writing is terrible. If you are going to teach English, I hope what you've written here is not the extent of your English ability.

The 183 days are counted no matter what your purpose is in Taiwan - whether it is to teach English or to sit on a hammock. And it doesn't matter which passport you use to enter, or what kind of visa you have on that passport. Having a visa on a foreign passport doesn't exempt you from conscription. (Though the ability for the government to enforce this rule might be affected by it.) If you have ever held household registration in Taiwan, you are subject to the rule. I'm not clear on the household registration status of 8 year olds, so someone else needs to comment on this part.

I presume that it is worth calling up the conscription people ahead of time to figure out if your scoliosis can get you out of the service. It seems possible.
gnaij
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby EigerMarcus » 09 Apr 2012, 10:34

My understanding is that in most cases those who do not meet the physical standards for military service now are sent to complete alternative national service. It would be best to contact the conscription people and get some guidance on your particular condition and potential service obligations.
EigerMarcus
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby mq007 » 09 Apr 2012, 17:50

Sorry gnaij, I was in a hurry and didn't read what I wrote. How can I contact the conscription people? Do they answer e-mail? I went to the embassy today and they only gave me a phone number. I don't have a phone in Korea at the moment.
mq007

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby gnaij » 11 Apr 2012, 08:51

This is for Taipei: http://english.docms.taipei.gov.tw/ct.a ... &mp=121012

Since they abolished conscription effective 2013, you would at most be asked to engage in a year of "alternative military service" such as teaching English.
gnaij
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby kuanchengsong » 01 May 2012, 13:39

gnaij wrote:This is for Taipei: http://english.docms.taipei.gov.tw/ct.a ... &mp=121012

Since they abolished conscription effective 2013, you would at most be asked to engage in a year of "alternative military service" such as teaching English.

Gnaji, could you please elaborate on this abolishing of conscription in the next year? Where did you hear this from? Also, I've read about alternative military service, but I haven't had a chance to ask about it yet. I am an English teacher and that would work very well with my career goals, if what you say is true about teaching English as an "alternative military service". like hitting 2 birds with one stone.
kuanchengsong

Postby gnaij » 01 May 2012, 20:43

kuanchengsong wrote:Gnaji, could you please elaborate on this abolishing of conscription in the next year? Where did you hear this from? Also, I've read about alternative military service, but I haven't had a chance to ask about it yet. I am an English teacher and that would work very well with my career goals, if what you say is true about teaching English as an "alternative military service". like hitting 2 birds with one stone.

http://www.asianewsnet.net/home/news.php?id=25731
gnaij
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

5 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Dual Nationality