Baby name on Birth Certificate

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Baby name on Birth Certificate

Postby hwboi » 07 May 2012, 00:04

Hi! I am a US Citizen and my wife is Taiwanese. Our son is about to be born in Taiwan and I was wondering if the name on the english birth certificate needs to match the name on the chinese version (Do they have to be translations of each other)? I prefer to have an English name which will be used on the US Passport that is independent of the chinese name. ANy ideas? My wife will ask the hospital tomorrow, but I was just wondering if anyone ran into this before. Thanks!
hwboi
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Baby name on Birth Certificate

Postby anan » 12 May 2012, 20:49

Hi,

I just gave birth to a baby girl at a clinic in Yonghe District. The name on her EN birth certificate is Athea Jhoann while on the CH birth certificate they didn't put her CH name which is Jing Hui in pinyin. We were told that the CH name is written on the Household registration instead and not on the CH birth certificate. This is in a clinic setting though, I do not know if the procedure is different in a hospital setting.

From what I've read, the birth certificate is not considered as a valid identification document here in TW since it is not a government issued document, it is the Household certificate which they consider as a valid identification document. The CH birth certificate is used for the Household registration only as it contains the parents' names and date of birth. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.
anan

x

Return to Dual Nationality