Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Baby name on Birth Certificate

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Baby name on Birth Certificate

Postby hwboi » 07 May 2012, 00:04

Hi! I am a US Citizen and my wife is Taiwanese. Our son is about to be born in Taiwan and I was wondering if the name on the english birth certificate needs to match the name on the chinese version (Do they have to be translations of each other)? I prefer to have an English name which will be used on the US Passport that is independent of the chinese name. ANy ideas? My wife will ask the hospital tomorrow, but I was just wondering if anyone ran into this before. Thanks!
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 1
Joined: 06 May 2012, 23:56
In Taiwan since: 07 May 2012

Re: Baby name on Birth Certificate

Postby anan » 12 May 2012, 20:49


I just gave birth to a baby girl at a clinic in Yonghe District. The name on her EN birth certificate is Athea Jhoann while on the CH birth certificate they didn't put her CH name which is Jing Hui in pinyin. We were told that the CH name is written on the Household registration instead and not on the CH birth certificate. This is in a clinic setting though, I do not know if the procedure is different in a hospital setting.

From what I've read, the birth certificate is not considered as a valid identification document here in TW since it is not a government issued document, it is the Household certificate which they consider as a valid identification document. The CH birth certificate is used for the Household registration only as it contains the parents' names and date of birth. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 5
Joined: 17 Dec 2011, 09:23

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Dual Nationality

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests