Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

How to travel to Taiwan as a dual citizen

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

How to travel to Taiwan as a dual citizen

Postby jezijezz1 » 05 Sep 2013, 01:42

Hello!

I understand that as a dual citizen I should exit using this country's passport, and when I enter Taiwan I use the Taiwan passport to pass immigration. When returning I will do the opposite.

The question is if this will give me any trouble in immigration back home? As I won't be able to show any entry/exit stamps/visas, because i entered Taiwan on a Taiwanese passport. Could I face any trouble because of this?

I guess that i could show them my Taiwan passport as well if they ask, but because dual citizenship isn't always permitted in this country I'd rather not show them my foreign passport.

I guess I could just not use the Taiwan passport at all, as passport holders from the Schengen-countries can enter Taiwan visa free. But TECO told me that the safest would be to use the Taiwan passport with an overseas endorsement rather than a foreign passport because of the conscription issue.

Could I simply ask the Taiwan immigration to stamp both passport? Will they even do that? In that case, should I ask them to do this both entering and exiting Taiwan?

On the other hand, why would immigration care about where I have been. As a citizen I should be readmitted without providing any stamps etc showing where I have been?

Thank you!
jezijezz1
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: How to travel to Taiwan as a dual citizen

Postby Tempo Gain » 05 Sep 2013, 02:16

There's a counter at the airport just after you pass through immigration, off to one side, where they will do this, if I remember right. I asked because I was curious what it was. They said some countries require it, while some don't. I kind of guess Europe is in the "don't" category, but I'd ask an official agency and make sure.

In what sense isn't dual citizenship allowed here? I thought it was.

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby jmcd » 05 Sep 2013, 02:28

When I enter and leave Taiwan, I go through the Taiwan citizen line with both of my passports. I asked them to stamp both passports.

When I returned to US, I showed US my US passport.

No big deal.
吃飽飯沒事做, 來這裡浪費時間.
jmcd
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby jezijezz1 » 05 Sep 2013, 03:12

Thank you for your answers! Sounds like both of you have been able to get your other passports stamped! That's good. :)
Tempo Gain wrote:There's a counter at the airport just after you pass through immigration, off to one side, where they will do this, if I remember right. I asked because I was curious what it was. They said some countries require it, while some don't. I kind of guess Europe is in the "don't" category, but I'd ask an official agency and make sure.

Is there really a counter where they stamp the foreign passport as well? :)
Tempo Gain wrote:In what sense isn't dual citizenship allowed here? I thought it was.

It depends on the european country. Some countries allows multiple citizenships with no conditions, such as Sweden. Germany accepts dual citizenships as long as both countries are EU member states, and some countries such as Denmark and Norway generally does not accept dual citizenships except in some cases, such as a child of parents with different citizenships etc.

jmcd wrote:When I enter and leave Taiwan, I go through the Taiwan citizen line with both of my passports. I asked them to stamp both passports.

When I returned to US, I showed US my US passport.

No big deal.

If they have no problems stamping both passports, even if one is admitted on the basis of the Taiwan passport (?), that is great. :)
No big deal!

However, I wonder if they will always do that or if it depends on the immigration officer. (?)

If it depends on the goodwill of the officer, I could potentially encounter "problems" once I'm back in Europe, as I will not be able to produce any visas/stamps in my european passport.
jezijezz1

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby jezijezz1 » 18 Sep 2013, 21:36

Hello again!
I have another question regarding travelling to Taiwan. If I was to have a layover mainland China, how would that work out? I see that a lot of the flights from Europe have layovers in mainland China. From the informaton I've found, it looks like one is not required to get a transit visa as long as you hold an onward ticket. However, Taiwanese passport holders need either the Tai bao zhen or a China travel permit issued by the Chinese embassy.

Will dual Taiwan citizens be able to transfer in China with the other (ie EU or US) passport? Or will the etnicity and/or being born in China (/TW/HK etc) mean that one need to apply for the Chinese travel permit even for transits thru mainland China.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.airchina.de/en/DE-visa.html
jezijezz1

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby hsinhai78 » 19 Sep 2013, 00:26

jezijezz1 wrote:Hello again!
I have another question regarding travelling to Taiwan. If I was to have a layover mainland China, how would that work out? I see that a lot of the flights from Europe have layovers in mainland China. From the informaton I've found, it looks like one is not required to get a transit visa as long as you hold an onward ticket. However, Taiwanese passport holders need either the Tai bao zhen or a China travel permit issued by the Chinese embassy.

Will dual Taiwan citizens be able to transfer in China with the other (ie EU or US) passport? Or will the etnicity and/or being born in China (/TW/HK etc) mean that one need to apply for the Chinese travel permit even for transits thru mainland China.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.airchina.de/en/DE-visa.html

Two options:

(1) As an Overseas Chinese holding a ROC passport and ROC ID you are eligible for either the Taibaozheng or Lüxingzheng. You may transfer with that document using the Chinese citizens line at the airport.

(2) As you are also the citizen of another country than China, i.e. the United States, you can also make use of the 72 hour visa free transit program for foreigners. What matters is solely your passport, not your ethnicity. Unlike Taiwan the Mainland authorities seem to be a bit more reasonable in this regard. Make sure though, that when you use option (2), that you keep any Chinese identification, i.e. ROC passport out of sight of check-in staff at the airport and passport control in Mainland China.
hsinhai78
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

In Taiwan since: 01 Aug 2009

Postby BAH » 25 Sep 2013, 12:56

You don't need to get your foreign passport stamped. No one will care about what stamps you've had / not had when you go back to Europe. Many countries don't even stamp passports anymore, they just examine it.
BAH
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby jezijezz1 » 25 Sep 2013, 22:41

Thank you for all responses!

I know there are many threads about conscription and visiting Taiwan. But do you guys know anyone/have any first hand information about people getting detained and drafted when entering using a foreign passport?

I mean, if it hasn't really happened to anybody, the easiest way would be to use ones foreign passport when traveling to Taiwan, as to all other countries.
Getting an ROC passport seems like a bit of a hassle. From what TECO told me it sounded like I first had to apply for the passport, the overseas endorsement and then some kind of entry permit (/VISA?) (?). Then, when in Taiwan I would need to get an exit permit from the National Immigration Agency.

The online form https://nas.immigration.gov.tw/nasf/ctl ... pplication , could that be used for a first time exit application or will I need to visit the immigration agency in person?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I can't really find any good official information in English. I really want to do it the right way. As I don't understand a single word Mandarin I would hate to encounter any trouble, either entering or leaving.

Edit: apparently I don't qualify for the online application form.
(1) Male citizen born before the year 1984: exited the Taiwan Area with the status of an Overseas Chinese after reaching his conscription age...
(2) Male citizen born after the year 1985: exited the Taiwan Area with the status of an Overseas Chinese after reaching his conscription age ...

I left Taiwan before reaching conscription age. Maybe exit permits aren't required then?
jezijezz1

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Dual Nationality