Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Dual citizenship to be offered to foreign professors at national universities?

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Dual citizenship to be offered to foreign professors at national universities?

Postby Dr Jellyfish » 09 Oct 2013, 18:03

If I could be bothered with all the hassle, I'd renounce my British citizenship so I could gain Taiwanese citizenship. Once I gained my Taiwanese citizenship I could, as a superior Taiwanese citizen, apply to be repatriated in the UK and end up with dual citizenship - *magic*! But, like I said, I couldn't be bothered with the hassle or the fees. It's stupid though, my wife and children have dual citizenship, why can't I have it, Taiwan? What's the deal?

Even though there's little chance of me getting into trouble with the law, it still sucks to know that I could be deported for protecting myself or my family - if we ever became victims of crime and I had no other choice. From reading these forums and the comments of Hsinhai78, I've got the impression that the system is looking for any chance to deport me, whether I was in the wrong or not. I think I'll start carrying a wig/fake beard/disguise around, then if some nutter does randomly attack, I won't think twice about reasoning with them or arguing logically, I could just quickly dispense some vigilante justice and then disappear into the night, or down the side streets. A bit like the opposite of Superman - Crapman perhaps? Before anyone starts filing any law suits - let me just be clear - I don't condone vigilante justice, it was just a joke. Just like having to renounce my original citizenship to gain Taiwanese citizenship.
Dr Jellyfish
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

Re: Dual citizenship to be offered to foreign professors at national universities?

Postby hsinhai78 » 09 Oct 2013, 18:12

Dr Jellyfish wrote:If I could be bothered with all the hassle, I'd renounce my British citizenship so I could gain Taiwanese citizenship. Once I gained my Taiwanese citizenship I could, as a superior Taiwanese citizen, apply to be repatriated in the UK and end up with dual citizenship - *magic*! But, like I said, I couldn't be bothered with the hassle or the fees. It's stupid though, my wife and children have dual citizenship, why can't I have it, Taiwan? What's the deal?

Even though there's little chance of me getting into trouble with the law, it still sucks to know that I could be deported for protecting myself or my family - if we ever became victims of crime and I had no other choice. From reading these forums and the comments of Hsinhai78, I've got the impression that the system is looking for any chance to deport me, whether I was in the wrong or not. I think I'll start carrying a wig/fake beard/disguise around, then if some nutter does randomly attack, I won't think twice about reasoning with them or arguing logically, I could just quickly dispense some vigilante justice and then disappear into the night, or down the side streets. A bit like the opposite of Superman - Crapman perhaps? Before anyone starts filing any law suits - let me just be clear - I don't condone vigilante justice, it was just a joke. Just like having to renounce my original citizenship to gain Taiwanese citizenship.

I totally agree with you, it isn't fair.
But as far as migration is concerned, the vast majority of Taiwanese only want it in one direction.

Here's something interesting:

TACL was founded by Shih Chou, Henry Hsu, Li-Pei Wu, Shiyuan Wu, and Vincent Chang on January 14, 1985, in Los Angeles, California to serve as the first and pre-eminent voice for the increasing community of Americans of Taiwanese decent [sic!] or origin and Taiwanese immigrants.

Just the thought of a "Westerner-Taiwanese Citizen League" would creep out most Taiwanese. Especially one comprised of naturalised whiteys lobbying on behalf of ARC/APRC holder.
hsinhai78
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

In Taiwan since: 01 Aug 2009

Postby Zla'od » 10 Oct 2013, 10:26

You know, there should be a rule that gives the OP in any thread the right to delete off-topic posts. I guess this is just my bad karma, for being a troll all these years. Anyway, I appreciate the crucial information that regardless of what the MOE may have proposed or anticipated, no such reforms are on the cards for the foreseeable future.
“What part of a woman is the yet, anyway? I heard there was a fight here in Tulsa, and a woman was shot in the fracas. The doc said the bullet is in her yet. And how did the bullet get in her yet, when she was shot in the fracas?"
Zla'od
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Dr Jellyfish » 10 Oct 2013, 14:32

Well, if it ever did happen - it would be great for foreign professors. At the very least it should strengthen the argument for other non nationals being able to gain Taiwanese citizenship without having to renounce their original citizenship.
Dr Jellyfish

Postby Hokwongwei » 10 Oct 2013, 15:22

They could, you know, offer decent salaries. That would be an incentive for more foreign professors (and for Taiwanese professors looking for better prospects outside of TW)
This is a highly proper signature.
Hokwongwei
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Postby Confuzius » 10 Oct 2013, 19:57

Hokwongwei wrote:They could, you know, offer decent salaries. That would be an incentive for more foreign professors (and for Taiwanese professors looking for better prospects outside of TW)

It does irk me all to hell that you make more money teaching at a buxiban than a university here (based on total hours worked).
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Postby Icon » 10 Oct 2013, 21:33

Well, they do have the special nationality fast lane for people who have special skills. So college professors would fall under this category.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Ermintrude » 11 Oct 2013, 08:52

hsinhai78 wrote:
Dr Jellyfish wrote:If I could be bothered with all the hassle, I'd renounce my British citizenship so I could gain Taiwanese citizenship. Once I gained my Taiwanese citizenship I could, as a superior Taiwanese citizen, apply to be repatriated in the UK and end up with dual citizenship - *magic*! But, like I said, I couldn't be bothered with the hassle or the fees. It's stupid though, my wife and children have dual citizenship, why can't I have it, Taiwan? What's the deal?

I totally agree with you, it isn't fair.
But as far as migration is concerned, the vast majority of Taiwanese only want it in one direction.

TACL was founded by Shih Chou, Henry Hsu, Li-Pei Wu, Shiyuan Wu, and Vincent Chang on January 14, 1985, in Los Angeles, California to serve as the first and pre-eminent voice for the increasing community of Americans of Taiwanese decent [sic!] or origin and Taiwanese immigrants.

Just the thought of a "Westerner-Taiwanese Citizen League" would creep out most Taiwanese. Especially one comprised of naturalised whiteys lobbying on behalf of ARC/APRC holder.

Xinhai, the vast majority of British people only want it in one direction too. Doesn't make it right or the way a country should conduct itself in the 21st century.

You're discussing Americans, not Jellyfish's country, but still. You think Europe is pro- non-European immigration? Because it really really isn't. You use the words 'creep out'. How do you think a country that groups foreigners as 'westerners' and is 'creeped out' by that group can compete, internationally? Gain the mutual respect of others?
'And we'll hide from the cunts, on our night reconnaissance'.
Ermintrude
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

Postby hsinhai78 » 11 Oct 2013, 09:04

Ermintrude wrote: I totally agree with you, it isn't fair.

Xinhai, the vast majority of British people only want it in one direction too. Doesn't make it right or the way a country should conduct itself in the 21st century.

You're discussing Americans, not Jellyfish's country, but still. You think Europe is pro- non-European immigration? Because it really really isn't. You use the words 'creep out'. How do you think a country that groups foreigners as 'westerners' and is 'creeped out' by that group can compete, internationally? Gain the mutual respect of others?[/quote]

That's a good point. And most frightening is that the young generation engages even more in the objectification of foreigners or people of mixed ancestry than the older generation. The older generation often did not have the chance to go abroad and experience being a foreigner themselves. Young Taiwanese go abroad and call the locals "foreigners"while back in Taiwan they ask parents of mixed babies questions they would not dare to ask the average non-mixed couple. It's a terrible sinocentric world view at the lowest peasant level and localisation with its associated island mentality has only made things worse. Localisation and the island mentality give people a perfect pretense for being ignorant hicks that point and stare at anyone who doesn't wear blue slippers.
hsinhai78

In Taiwan since: 01 Aug 2009

Postby Hokwongwei » 11 Oct 2013, 13:21

hsinhai78 wrote:Localisation and the island mentality give people a perfect pretense for being ignorant hicks that point and stare at anyone who doesn't wear blue slippers.

True story: I actually got pointed and stared at for wearing blue slippers at Jiufen once. I actually heard someone shout "老外穿藍白拖!"
This is a highly proper signature.
Hokwongwei

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Dual Nationality