Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Dual citizenship to be offered to foreign professors at national universities?

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Dual citizenship to be offered to foreign professors at national universities?

Postby Zla'od » 07 Oct 2013, 19:13

A colleague tells me that according to the United Daily News, a MOE spokesman has indicated that soon--like, in the next month or so--foreign professors teaching at national universities will be permitted to apply for ROC citizenship, without having to give up their previous citizenships. This is part of a package of reforms aimed at boosting the competitiveness of Taiwan's universities, by making them more effective in recruiting foreign professors. Apparently foreign professors at such schools are presently ineligible to receive monthly pensions, so the reform would solve this problem by making them no longer "foreign."

So, can anyone confirm or correct this? A few months ago, the American Chamber of Commerce newsletter indicated that something like this was under discussion.

And yes, I realize that this would be deeply unfair to other kinds of foreigners who lack these connections.
“What part of a woman is the yet, anyway? I heard there was a fight here in Tulsa, and a woman was shot in the fracas. The doc said the bullet is in her yet. And how did the bullet get in her yet, when she was shot in the fracas?"
Zla'od
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Dual citizenship to be offered to foreign professors at national universities?

Postby afterspivak » 07 Oct 2013, 20:01

The pension issue you mentioned has been discussed for some time now and has to date gone nowhere. Any links regarding these (*ahem*) unusual developments would be much appreciated.

Guy
afterspivak
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

Re: Dual citizenship to be offered to foreign professors at national universities?

Postby hsinhai78 » 07 Oct 2013, 20:47

Zla'od wrote:A colleague tells me that according to the United Daily News, a MOE spokesman has indicated that soon--like, in the next month or so--foreign professors teaching at national universities will be permitted to apply for ROC citizenship, without having to give up their previous citizenships. This is part of a package of reforms aimed at boosting the competitiveness of Taiwan's universities, by making them more effective in recruiting foreign professors. Apparently foreign professors at such schools are presently ineligible to receive monthly pensions, so the reform would solve this problem by making them no longer "foreign."

So, can anyone confirm or correct this? A few months ago, the American Chamber of Commerce newsletter indicated that something like this was under discussion.

And yes, I realize that this would be deeply unfair to other kinds of foreigners who lack these connections.

Unless there is an amendment to the Nationality Act passed by the Legislative Yuan this is nothing but rumours.
There is no provision in the law to allow that - not even if there is public interest. That African-American basketball player who recently naturalised did not get to keep his US citizenship. And with the Legislative Yuan being in sort of a deadlock I don't see it coming anyways.

But this is all too typical for the Ministry of Education: making false promises and meddling in things they don't even have a say. Would not be the first time they do this, they already claimed paid internships of foreign students do not require a work permit. Yet when you ask the CLA and NIA - the agencies responsible - you will hear that work permits are still required.

Rumours rumours rumours !
hsinhai78
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

In Taiwan since: 01 Aug 2009

Postby urodacus » 07 Oct 2013, 21:17

it would be nice to see the different arms of the government working together. Where is the strong guiding hand of the President now?

Ahah! in the cookie jar again.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby hsinhai78 » 07 Oct 2013, 23:03

urodacus wrote:it would be nice to see the different arms of the government working together. Where is the strong guiding hand of the President now?

Ahah! in the cookie jar again.

That's not even the responsibility of the President, but rather of the Premier to ensure discipline among the different agencies under the Executive Yuan. After all he is the head of the EY.

People should not get fooled by what an unrelated government agency claims. Just because your local district office lets you join their volunteer activities does not mean you are actually permitted under the Immigration Act/ employment Services Act.

It's all quite tricky for people who think the government is monolithic.

But this idea of different naturalization requirements for professors of national universities is not more than some MoE official trying to get media attention.
hsinhai78

Postby Hokwongwei » 07 Oct 2013, 23:11

While we're on it, what exactly is the president's job other than making appointments? I've never really been able to pinpoint where presidential power ends and the premier's power begins.
This is a highly proper signature.
Hokwongwei
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Postby hsinhai78 » 07 Oct 2013, 23:23

Hokwongwei wrote:While we're on it, what exactly is the president's job other than making appointments? I've never really been able to pinpoint where presidential power ends and the premier's power begins.

The ROC constitution names the president as head of state and commander-in-chief. He is also responsible for conducting foreign relations, such as concluding treaties, declaring war, and making peace. The president must promulgate all laws and has no right to veto, he can also grant amnesty, pardon or clemency as well as declare martial law, and confer decorations.

The precedence of the premier and president in diplomatic protocol is easy: President > Premier. Yet internally this not really clear as the EY is the highest executive power under the ROC constitution. Originally CKS did not even want to be the president but preferred being premier.
hsinhai78

Postby hansioux » 08 Oct 2013, 13:28

but as it stands now, the premier is appointed by the president, without the need for a legislature approval. so basically premier does the president's bidding. Otherwise the president can also replace the premier with someone that will do as told. In essence it is no longer a real Parliamentary system, since the president controls all the executive power.

deadlock situations like disagreements between the president and the premier is a thing of the past (by that I mean before KMT fled to Taiwan.)
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Icon » 08 Oct 2013, 14:24

Back on the rumors topic: recently I've been hearing about several amendments in the alleged works which, if ever approved, would even allow "anchor babies". That for me is mindboggling, as I do not see them giving out citizenship just on the fact of being born here -instead of just bloodline, as it is now-, which has been a long struggle for locals, let alone foreigners. But one cannot help but dream...
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby hsinhai78 » 08 Oct 2013, 16:42

hansioux wrote: deadlock situations like disagreements between the president and the premier is a thing of the past (by that I mean before KMT fled to Taiwan.)

The KMT was already in Taiwan before the ROC lost all of its territory except for Taiwan Province and parts of Fujian Province. But in essence you are right - a deadlock between President and EY would greatly destabilise the entire administration and make it impossible to govern the country.

Icon wrote:Back on the rumors topic: recently I've been hearing about several amendments in the alleged works which, if ever approved, would even allow "anchor babies". That for me is mindboggling, as I do not see them giving out citizenship just on the fact of being born here -instead of just bloodline, as it is now-, which has been a long struggle for locals, let alone foreigners. But one cannot help but dream...

Rumours, rumours, rumours. These kind of bills would not even make it to a first reading. Why would the ROC suddenly revert from jus sanguinis after that had been the established doctrine in the Nationality Act for the past hundred years?
hsinhai78

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Dual Nationality