Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Getting Dual Citizenship Question

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Getting Dual Citizenship Question

Postby Muselia » 19 Mar 2014, 22:44

I'm looking into getting dual citizenship for Taiwan. Here is some information about my situation. I was born in 1997, my mother was born in Taiwan holds dual ROC/USA citizenship, and my dad is American. I was born in the US. My mom left Taiwan some 30 years ago. I know that I am eligible to claim Taiwanese nationality without losing my American citizenship since I am under 20, but I also want to become a full citizen with an ID number, etc.

What documents are needed? I read from a blog that someone needed to submit their parents' marriage certificate, but my parents are divorced and my mother has legally switched back to her maiden name. Would all the paperwork involving this stuff have to be verified, translated, and submitted?

Since my mother has been out of Taiwan for so long, her household registration has long since expired. Would it be easier for me to get household registration if she reestablished hers and added me to it? Is such a thing possible? Or is my only option to get become a Taiwan national, then stay in Taiwan for 1 year/2 years for 270 days each year? Also, what kind of visa is necessary to stay in Taiwan for 1 year on an overseas Chinese passport?

Once I become a Taiwan national, will I need to have a Chinese name to display on the Taiwan passport? I do have one, but I use my mother's maiden name (which is Chinese) for my surname, which is nothing like my actual surname. Would this be a problem? Not really clear on how this works.

I've been planning on taking a year off before I go to college, and I was thinking of spending that year in Taiwan to establish household registration if necessary. I have relatives I could live with, but it would be nice if I could work during that year. Is that possible with the overseas Chinese passport? Would there really be any jobs without having a degree? Would it be better for me to do a study abroad thing with my college?

How do taxation and social security work when a dual ROC/USA citizen?

Thanks in advance. :)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 2
Joined: 19 Mar 2014, 12:54

Re: Getting Dual Citizenship Question

Postby Zla'od » 18 Apr 2014, 06:33

Some links: ... &mp=102002

No idea about the household registration aspect, sorry. Perhaps others will chime in.

I don't anticipate a problem about the Chinese name / English name not matching. Divorce is a common situation as well, though you will probably have to get all your documents certified, translated, and apostiled. (Big hassle--sorry.)

Taiwan does not deduct U.S. Social Security payments from your salary, or have anything to do with the SSA. As for taxes, if you work in Taiwan, you have to pay Taiwan taxes. U.S. Americans are taxed on their worldwide income, but double-taxation is avoided by means of a foreign income exclusion, i.e., you still have to file with the IRS, but don't have to pay anything so long as your foreign income is less than the excluded amount (currently almost US $ 100,000) and you don't have U.S. income that year.
“What part of a woman is the yet, anyway? I heard there was a fight here in Tulsa, and a woman was shot in the fracas. The doc said the bullet is in her yet. And how did the bullet get in her yet, when she was shot in the fracas?"
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Posts: 1702
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 08:36

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Dual Nationality

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests