Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

ABC moving to Taiwan for 1+ year in the Summer

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

ABC moving to Taiwan for 1+ year in the Summer

Postby venivenven » 30 Mar 2014, 16:40

Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking quite a bit on this site. Trying to get some information about going to Taiwan for a long period of time. First some information about me.

1. American Born (U.S. Citizen)
2. Both parents are Taiwanese Nationals with dual citizenship
3. I'm a 28 year old girl (I don't know if that matters)
4. Moving to Taiwan to spend time with family, and go back to school, and maybe a part time job.

I have read maybe 15 threads already, all about men going to Taiwan from the US/UK/everywhere else in the world. But I don't see anything about a girl (over 20 :() with 2 Taiwanese parents going to Taiwan with a U.S. Passport long term. My grandparents live in 新北市 (New Taipei City) for over 55 years (back when it was still a part of regular old 新店), my parents have dual citizenship, but only recently moved back to Taiwan 6 years ago, after spending 20+ years in California. I have been to Taiwan maybe 5-6 times, spanning from 2 weeks to 2 months. I don't have a school lined up yet, but my dad said that I need to bring my college transcript and birth certificate. Do simply bringing these things help me stay there longer? I'm not sure what he is planning or if he is just playing it by ear. Should i start preparing for my stay at the Taiwan Embassy in LA?

I am sorry for writing my life story, I am just not sure what is needed. :P (I'm going to miss all the non-asian food when i go to Taiwan :( )
venivenven
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: ABC moving to Taiwan for 1+ year in the Summer

Postby tommy525 » 30 Mar 2014, 20:29

Theres one or two other girls on forumosa who are similar aged going to Taiwan who have family ties (and little else) there who are in your same boat.

It does seem like your parents want you to see and live in Taiwan a bit and see if you can find a reason to stay.

I don't think you won't find food you are used to in Taipei. But of course Taipei is going to be quite different.

My former GF is also Taiwanese who lived most of her life abroad but then returned to the rock. She now doesn't want to live long term elsewhere.

You will have to ultimately find a reason to stay. Seems your parents have moved back long term. But you need more then that reason.

Give it a shot then. See whats up over there. Enjoy the experience.

Also , you should be able to obtain TW citizenship no? If you can, do it. It doesn't hurt to have options.
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby xiaojuan » 31 Mar 2014, 01:59

tommy525 wrote:Theres one or two other girls on forumosa who are similar aged going to Taiwan who have family ties (and little else) there who are in your same boat.

One of them would be me. Check your inbox. I sent you a PM.

I thought I'd give you some advice about applying to schools, particularly about the documents aspect because it's REALLY important:

If you have any plans to apply to schools in Taiwan, whether your parents are pressuring you or even you're thinking about it just a little bit, make sure you prepare all of your necessary documents (transcripts, diploma copies, references, etc.) ahead of time and bring them with you. Not just digital copies, but hard copies. And a lot of them.

Before you get here, call your local TECO and the TECO that belongs to the same state as your university/college. Ask them who has to notarize all your documents because the rules change from office to office. My girlfriend is from NYC, but graduated from a college in Massachusetts. Even though she was already living in Taiwan for over five years, she had to get her transcripts sent from MA to Taiwan, and somehow find a way to get it notarized in MA in person. Save yourself the angst and just do all the notarizing while you're still in the states. Get TECO to notarize original, sealed transcripts and photocopies of your diploma.

Bring as many copies as you'll need to apply to each school. Better yet, bring double the copies you need because once you're here and you realize you're missing something, you're going to have to rely on people and connections at home to run around and do a ridiculous amount of paperwork and mailings for you. And if there's an application deadline, you just won't have time for that.
xiaojuan
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby venivenven » 01 Apr 2014, 12:14

that's a lot of work. *flips table* That's it, ill just be a bum. LOL! jkjk.

Thanks for the info guys.

I will be digging through my lifetime worth of storage and boxes...awesome. I was hoping for an "oh, you're born and raised in the U.S. but you look Asian, welcome!!" LOL guess not. So, my American friends in Taiwan, what do you all do for fun? Anything worth going to? If you say Yang Ming Mountain...don't. LOL.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I did take a course at Wen Hua University the duration of my stay a few years ago.

Also, is Zu Yin Fu Hao a must? Or can I get my mainlander on and use HanYu Pinyin? LOL I know, I am probably now disowned now for bringing this up.
venivenven

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby MiiT » 01 Apr 2014, 17:25

Welcome (back?)!
I'll leave the schooling questions for others, since I moved here a year ago for work (but similar background, Taiwanese parents, grandparents still in Taipei, etc). As for activities, depends on what you're interested in. Me personally, lotta sports (bball, flag football, even some badminton every now and then), beach (since it's hella hot in the summer), and hiking. theres obviously ktv and clubbing as well, but tbh its way less fun here (overcrowded and overpriced).
oh and restaurant tasting as well. dont worry about missing the food, there's plenty here (although I'm still searching for a REALLY good burger joint).
MiiT
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby dadapunk » 28 Apr 2014, 21:43

I'm a 34-year-old half-Taiwanese American woman presently going through the process of obtaining nationality.

If you have an overseas Taiwanese passport (which you qualify for), you can get an entry permit, come to Taiwan, then apply for a TARC which will allow you to stay up to three years. (This will also require your parents' IDs and hukou certificate.) In theory, once you have this, you can also apply for a work permit (which will allow you to work anywhere). If you decide you like Taiwan and want to stay and work indefinitely, you can then apply for a shenfengzheng and normal passport (after a year of residency on island, no trips away).

You can also come on your U.S. passport, and exit and return, as needed. Likewise, you can get a job as an American and have your place of employment get you your ARC/work permit, or enroll in school. Your residency will be tied to that company (or school), however, and you'll lose your ARC if you leave.

In any case, it sounds like whatever you do, you'll need to get your birth certificate (for residency) and university diplomas (for a work permit) authenticated (as xiaojuan explained above). This has to happen at the TECO office that represents the area that issued the document. (So if you were born in one place, but graduated from school in another, you'll have to go through the TECO offices in both of those places.)

Hope this helps!
dadapunk

Postby venivenven » 13 Aug 2014, 13:44

Thanks for everyone's help! It is very informative! I have received my Taiwan Passport, woot! With my entry permit like you said dadapunk. I am booked for a flight out next week! I am currently in the process of shipping all of my stuff to the island...whew.

There is something missing in all the info though, I was talking to a TECO rep in LA and she said that I have to get an "FBI Background Check" completed and authenticated and translated by TECO before I receive my shenfenzheng and become a citizen. -_____- Do felons really go through this much trouble to get a taiwan id? LOL
venivenven

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby dvchang » 13 Aug 2014, 17:28

You need the FBI background check for the TARC application. It takes around 4 weeks to receive it and then you have to send it to TECRO in DC to get it authenticated. Can't do it in LA. For the authenticated translation, have a friend translate it and get it authenticated in Taiwan at the local courthouse. There is no cost to do this in TW.

Good luck
dvchang

Postby cityathrt » 25 Aug 2014, 10:00

Venivenven, welcome back to the island! And boy am I glad I found this thread. I am almost exactly in the same boat as you, similar aged (and a girl as well!), just moved back for family, and am getting hit hard by the adjustment period of both moving to a new place and starting a new job.

A little about myself – grew up in Taiwan whilst attending various American schools, went back to the States for college, work + grad school, decided I missed this hunk of rock (and really my family) and shipped back all my earthly belongings. Arrived in Taipei three weeks ago sans friends, close networks of people, and realizing that a lot’s changed in almost the decade I’ve been gone. It’s been a rough couple of weeks, and I’ve just turned your thread into a mini life story on myself as well heh. I’m a girl over 25 with two Taiwanese parents going to Taiwan with a US passport long term. Let’s be friends? :D

Heck, xiaojuan and any of the other similar girls on Forumosa, would you ladies like to meet up?
cityathrt

Postby akagai » 17 Mar 2015, 03:49

So what is the TECO?
akagai

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Dual Nationality