Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Passport Tango w/ PRC National Bride

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Passport Tango w/ PRC National Bride

Postby BBarNavi » 17 Aug 2014, 10:09

Hello, everyone. As you can probably see, this is my first post. I'll give a brief introduction before I get into my topic.

I'm a second-generation Taiwanese-American, and through the jus sanguinis portion of the ROC nationality law, I am also a Taiwanese citizen, having "technically" held an ID number and a household registry (TP City) since I was 4, when my parents first brought me to the island. (I have visited Taiwan some 3-4 times since then on my American passport.) Recently, for more shrewd reasons (working/doing business in China), I have renewed my passport and obtained a household registry complete with ID card. Consequently, I was able to apply for and gain a Taibaozheng 台胞證, i.e. the key to more privileges in the PRC. Since then, I have gone back to visit my family twice this past year.

Now for the issue at hand:

I am particularly interested in navigating the legal eagles regarding cross-strait marriage, especially with regards to a dual- (and possibly eventually triple-) national. Say that I have convinced a lady here in inland China to walk with me the rest of our days. The trouble then arises: Under which auspices and conditions do I register marriage? Perhaps that is a better question for those more conversant in PRC law, but is it better for me to register with the local hukou bureau (like normal PRC nationals) or with the US consulate?
In any case, the focus of my questions here on Forumosa is with regards to bringing her to settle in Taiwan, and (sooner rather than later) jettisoning her rather useless PRC passport in exchange for an ROC one. First of all, what's the best way to get her on shore? Is it using a pre-existing marriage certificate (be it from the PRC or USA)? Or do I apply for a marriage visa? (Certainly a simple tourist visa on her 入台證 won't do, I'm assuming.) Then how do we get the paperwork underway for marriage and/or household registry, such that she is able to qualify for residency, permission to work, and national health insurance, not necessarily in that particular order?
Then that brings us to the passport question. In order to allow for more freedom of movement (visa-free in 130 countries, baby!), for either honeymooning or doing business trips, I think it's best for her to obtain a Taiwanese passport and/or an American one. However, being a US citizen myself, I know how arduous and time-consuming the process is to getting citizenship via the marriage route. Thus, I am curious to how the same process is in Taiwan for a PRC national.

The goal is for her to be able to obtain an ROC passport and/or permanent residency in TW, in addition to a US green card/passport, with the eventual possibility of both of us obtaining citizenship in a third country (that doesn't require renunciation of previous citizenships) - all without me losing any of my passports. Even more ideally is the ability for her to return to China to see her family - I assume that this can be easily done with a 台胞證 of her own.
BBarNavi
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Passport Tango w/ PRC National Bride

Postby BAH » 10 Sep 2014, 14:41

I suggest calling or visiting the website of the National Immigration Agency for specific procedural questions. http://www.immigration.gov.tw/welcome.htm

First step, getting her in the first time to staying for 2 years: https://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct_cert. ... 32595&mp=1
Second step, after two years, applying for permanent residency: https://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct_cert. ... 32595&mp=1
Next step, after something like 5 years: let's cross that bridge after you marry her

However in general it will be much harder and longer for her to get a Taiwan passport than a US one.
BAH
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Re: Passport Tango w/ PRC National Bride

Postby hsinhai78 » 15 Sep 2014, 18:22

BAH wrote: However in general it will be much harder and longer for her to get a Taiwan passport than a US one.

Yes and no. In recent years getting an entry and residence permit for Mainland spouses has become very easy.
Much easier and more importantly cheaper than getting your Mainland Spouse to the US.

As far as the passport is concerned, I am not sure. I do know however that Mainland spouses do not require a citizenship exam or proof of giving up any prior nationality as legally they are already ROC nationals.
hsinhai78
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

In Taiwan since: 01 Aug 2009

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Dual Nationality