[ROC Passport] Question on Passport Number's Prefix

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

[ROC Passport] Question on Passport Number's Prefix

Postby gam1971 » 12 Dec 2003, 10:52

Hello,

I recently renewed my ROC passport at TECO Chicago. My new passport number starts with "1" while my old passport number (also issued by TECO Chicago) starts with "X". I know from reading the postings that the passport prefix "X" standards for Overseas Chinese. Does anybody know what "1" stands for? Is the prefix "1" the same as "X"?

Your replies are appreciated.
gam1971
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Hartzell » 14 Dec 2003, 10:45

The important issue is "Household Registration in the Taiwan area." This is the distinguishing feature.

If you have the Household Registration, you will have an ID card number. My wife is a Taiwan citizen, and her ID card number is also clearly indicated on her ROC passport.

On the other hand, in the case of overseas Chinese, there will be no ID card number listed.

Note: In regard to the "X" prefix, I believe they stopped using that some years back.
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at rwh.midway@gmail.com
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

19 Recognized(s)

ID card prefixes....

Postby coolingtower » 09 Jul 2004, 15:54

Rich,

A few years ago when my ARC was updated by my local police station, they wrote on the back a longer version of my ARC number. It was oritinally D000XXX, and became DC0000XXXX (adding a C0 and a trailing digit). I am aware of the ABCDs of different cities and hsiens, but do you know what the "C" means?

I'm curious, because I've now become a citizen of the ROC and I've been issued a new card (for one year before I get my "real" ID card) called roughly: "ROC Taiwan area residence card". It doesn't say "wai chiao" on it like most ARCs do.

My new number for this card is DA0000XXXX. I know that the "D" refers to Tainan City, but could the "C" becoming an "A": possibly refer to the "Type 1" and "Type 2" (and perhaps 3) types of citizenships you had outlined elsewhere on this site? I'm curious about this.

Thanks,

coolingtower
coolingtower

Re: ID card prefixes....

Postby Satellite TV » 09 Jul 2004, 23:51

I'm curious, because I've now become a citizen of the ROC and I've been issued a new card (for one year before I get my "real" ID card) called roughly: "ROC Taiwan area residence card". It doesn't say "wai chiao" on it like most ARCs do.

Your not quite a citizen. You'll need another medical and some more processing. Read the back pages. If you make a trip out of Taiwan you'll have to wait even longer for your ID Card.

My new number for this card is DA0000XXXX. I know that the "D" refers to Tainan City, but could the "C" becoming an "A": possibly refer to the "Type 1" and "Type 2" (and perhaps 3) types of citizenships you had outlined elsewhere on this site? I'm curious about this.

A is Taipei B is Taichung C is Kaohsiung Q is Pingdong... You get a number for life from where your ID card is first issued.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby TantricTash » 14 Jul 2004, 22:13

The second letter on the residential permits, be it ARC or "Taiwan area residential permit", stands for your sex.
A: male
B: Female
C: male
D: Female

The difference is the issuing authority. If it is A/B, that means your residential permit is issued by the Immigration Department of the Ministry of Interior, and such permits are called "Residential Permit for Taiwan Area of ROC", and this permit may lead you to full ID card later on once you complete the residential requirements. (You need not go through the naturalisation process because you are already deemed to be ROC national, but only without household registration. So once you fullfill the requirements for household registration, you get a full ID card.)
If it is C/D, the residential permit is issued by the Local Police Authority and such permits are called "ARC", and this is issued to most of the foreigners residing in Taiwan. ARC will lead you to APRC once you complete the requirements, but will NOT lead you to full ROC citizenship UNLESS you go through the process of naturalisation. And after naturalisation, your ARC will the changed to the above mentioned "Residential Permit for Taiwan Area of ROC" and C/D would automatically be changed to A/B, and once you complete your residential requirements, you get a full ID.
TantricTash

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Dual Nationality