Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

US & Taiwan passports

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

US & Taiwan passports

Postby grandmoff » 02 Dec 2014, 10:23

I have both a US and Taiwan passport.

In the past I have left LA with the US passport and entered Taiwan with the Taiwan passport. (Entry stamp on green passport)
I leave Taiwan with the Taiwan passport (exit stamp on green and blue passport/service desk will stamp blue passport with an entry stamp) and return back to the US with the US passport. This assures that there is a record of me entering and exiting Taiwan in case US Immigration asks questions.

This last time I did the normal routine but they would not stamp an entry stamp on my US passport because I exceeded the 3 months allowed for US passports.
I was fortunate that US Immigration did not check the stamps and did not ask me where I visited on my last return home.

Since I have decided to live in Taiwan now, the Taiwan passport is convenient because I can stay in Taiwan as long as I want without a visa.

My concern is will I have a problem when I eventually return to the US? I do not mind making a visa run to Hong Kong but then it defeats the purpose of using my Taiwan passport to enter Taiwan.

Anyone have any experience or advice?
grandmoff
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 29 May 2014

Re: US & Taiwan passports

Postby hsinhai78 » 02 Dec 2014, 13:01

This question or a variation thereof has been asked millions of times here. Just use the search function.

But to answer your question: US immigration gives a rat's ass about entry stamps from other countries.
Some places like HK do not even stamp passports anymore.
hsinhai78
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

In Taiwan since: 01 Aug 2009

Postby kaikai34 » 02 Dec 2014, 13:06

No, you will not have a problem. Even though they won't stamp an entry pass, they will stamp and exit pass as a courtesy. I don't even get my US stamped anymore. I've only been to one country where they checked my US. I think it was Indonesia. They asked where I was coming from as they wanted to see the exit stamp. I had to bust out my Taiwanese passport and then they let me through.

The only way I could see you having a remote possibility of a problem would be having a brand new passport with zero stamps in it, trying to enter the US.
kaikai34
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

Postby greves » 03 Dec 2014, 11:21

I'm not even Taiwanese and I never get stamped in Taiwan anymore in my US passport. ARC + eGate = I'm through immigration in 10 seconds flat every time, no passport needed.
greves
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby jezijezz1 » 11 Mar 2015, 04:25

(exit stamp on green and blue passport/service desk will stamp blue passport with an entry stamp)

Where is this service desk located? And do you have them stamp your US passport when you arrive or when you leave Taiwan? Do you get both an entry and departure stamp from this service desk, or do you have to ask them to stamp both passports when going thru the exit immigration control?
I am also a dual citizen and would like to have entry and exit stamps on both passports. Last time they only stamped my Taiwanese one, as it was the one I showed them upon arrival and departure.

Thanks
jezijezz1

Postby fh2000 » 11 Mar 2015, 05:24

jezijezz1 wrote:
(exit stamp on green and blue passport/service desk will stamp blue passport with an entry stamp)

Where is this service desk located? And do you have them stamp your US passport when you arrive or when you leave Taiwan? Do you get both an entry and departure stamp from this service desk, or do you have to ask them to stamp both passports when going thru the exit immigration control?
I am also a dual citizen and would like to have entry and exit stamps on both passports. Last time they only stamped my Taiwanese one, as it was the one I showed them upon arrival and departure.

Thanks

If you go thru fast pass exit, turn to the left, not too far. There is a small sign right before the official custom area ends. Sometimes there is a small line. Sometimes not. You pull out your US passport and ask the guy/girl sitting there to stamp both entry and exit. They first check your Taiwan passport to find out when you entered, then manually adjust one stamp to that date and stamp it on your US; then stamp another one with the current date. Done.
fh2000

Postby jezijezz1 » 13 Mar 2015, 22:32

fh2000 wrote:If you go thru fast pass exit, turn to the left, not too far. There is a small sign right before the official custom area ends. Sometimes there is a small line. Sometimes not. You pull out your US passport and ask the guy/girl sitting there to stamp both entry and exit. They first check your Taiwan passport to find out when you entered, then manually adjust one stamp to that date and stamp it on your US; then stamp another one with the current date. Done.

So the service desk is located before the immigration control? (before you have your TW passport exit- stamped? ). I have only been back to Taiwan once, so I don't really remember if you had to go thru immigration right after checking in, or if there were any service desks etc before that point.
jezijezz1

Postby fh2000 » 14 Mar 2015, 12:19

jezijezz1 wrote:
fh2000 wrote:If you go thru fast pass exit, turn to the left, not too far. There is a small sign right before the official custom area ends. Sometimes there is a small line. Sometimes not. You pull out your US passport and ask the guy/girl sitting there to stamp both entry and exit. They first check your Taiwan passport to find out when you entered, then manually adjust one stamp to that date and stamp it on your US; then stamp another one with the current date. Done.

So the service desk is located before the immigration control? (before you have your TW passport exit- stamped? ). I have only been back to Taiwan once, so I don't really remember if you had to go thru immigration right after checking in, or if there were any service desks etc before that point.

You first hand your Taiwan passport to custom officer at the booth to get it stamped, then you exit and you are out of "Taiwan". I go thru fast pass exit. I have my Taiwan passport scanned, then stare at the camera for it to verify my face. Then glass door open. I walk out. No stamp for me. It takes less than 3 seconds.

In your case, once you get out of the custom booth and out of "Taiwan", you turn left.....
fh2000

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Dual Nationality