Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Expired ROC passport (entering Taiwan)

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Expired ROC passport (entering Taiwan)

Postby lilmo » 07 Mar 2015, 09:57

I am leaving for Taiwan soon for about a week and I'm worried about the expired passport I'm carrying.

Couple of facts here:

Female
Born in late 1980s
Born in Taiwan, immigrated to US when I was very young
Both parents are born in Taiwan & have ROC passports/IDs.
Currently have expired ROC passport with ID on it (but expired last year)
Currently have US passport with lots of stamps (I travel dozen times a year)
Traveling in Taiwan for pleasure for a week, nothing to do with work or study

My parents finally gave me my expired ROC passport (expired last yr) without even telling me for years and told me to enter Taiwan with an expired ROC passport in order to renew ID and fill out the entry permit form and add the residence address in Taiwan. They don't want me to renew my passport at all. Is that even legal?

One of my parents will be in Taiwan at the same time as I am, does renewing ID require one of my parents present in Taiwan? I don't understand why they need me to renew my ID so badly even though I don't plan to live or stay there longer than a month. Is it even NECESSARY?

I've never used ROC passport before or carried an expired passport before (I always renew my US passport on time), I travel frequently, but I don't like the idea of using an expired ROC passport at Taiwan immigration. Is it even mandatory to have a validated passport to renew ID? What are the requirements for renewing ID?
lilmo
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Expired ROC passport (entering Taiwan)

Postby Ming Taizu » 11 Mar 2015, 22:03

Lots of questions here. I would assume that Taiwan is like any other country and wouldn't let you enter with an expired passport. You can always renew your Taiwanese passport in the U.S. and then renew your ID when you next enter Taiwan on the renewed passport. You may or may not need parental presence/consent to renew your ID in Taiwan; contact your nearest TECO for specific requirements about renewing the ID and they should be able to help.
Ming Taizu

Postby Desert Fox » 05 Nov 2015, 15:16

You should check with the ID issuing office if you should enter with your TW or US passport, there is a huge difference as with the former you will enter as a Taiwanese and the latter as a foreigner. I know that to apply for an ID card you should enter with a TW passport, not sure if this also applies to when you are renewing your ID card.

I used to think that I could enter TW with my expired TW passport, but to my surprise, you cannot. It was May 2014 and I wanted to renew my TW passport in TW while I was visiting my grandmother. I wanted to renew my passport in TW because I'm working in mainland China and there is not a TECO over here. Upon my arrival to the airport, the immigration officers were going to process me and allow me to enter as a Taiwanese, however, the head of the unit said that they can no longer do it. Some of the staff members looked at him a bit surprisingly so I don't know if he was just trying to be a dick towards me or the rules had just changed. A lot of the times they can bend the rules and I think I could've made him let me in if I camped in front of him but I wanted to retain my dignity so I just entered with my US passport. If you do not enter TW with your TW passport then you cannot renew it in TW, the only other way is to do it at a TECO outside the island. So if you want to renew your TW passport in TW, then you should enter with it so make sure it is not expired, otherwise just renew it at your home country.
Desert Fox

In Taiwan since: 03 Feb 2016

Postby hsinhai78 » 05 Nov 2015, 22:05

lilmo wrote:They don't want me to renew my passport at all. Is that even legal?

You are obviously well above the age of majority (20 in Taiwan). Why would you care about the useless advice your parents are giving you? Take your expired passport to the nearest TECO and get a new one. You would otherwise not be able to enter Taiwan on an expired ROC passport. And if you do not enter with your ROC passport you will not be able to get a new ID card at the household registration office. Simple as that. Talk to TECO and forget what your parents say.
hsinhai78
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

In Taiwan since: 01 Aug 2009

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Dual Nationality