Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

No ARC for Dual Citizens?

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

No ARC for Dual Citizens?

Postby sensAsian » 24 Apr 2015, 10:38

This is an issue for my brother. He is both a US and Taiwan citizen born in Taiwan in 1982. He does not have the Taiwan ID card.

My bro has gotten an ARC for the last 8 years in KHH, but they won't give him an APRC because he's a TW citizen.

He recently moved up to TPE and tried to renew his ARC but the ARC office rejected him. They said he's not allowed to get an ARC because he's a TW citizen and KHH has been doing it wrong this whole time. I don't know how you can be wrong for 8 years and no one notice. Is this a new law? What can he do?
sensAsian
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: No ARC for Dual Citizens?

Postby Tempo Gain » 24 Apr 2015, 21:58

Does he have a TW passport? What did he enter on?

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Confuzius » 25 Apr 2015, 03:41

wait...

cant he just apply for an ID card?
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Postby stinkytofu » 22 Aug 2015, 11:34

This has also been an issue for me. Same status -- I hold both a US and TW passport, but I don't have a Taiwan ID card (national without household registration). A potential buxiban employer informed me that they won't be able to give me an ARC because the Taiwanese government would reject that application and force the buxiban to employ me as a Taiwanese citizen. Thus I apparently need to obtain an ID in order to get employed, which I don't want because it seems like a lengthy process, and I would be draft-eligible. Anyone have dual-citizenship working advice?
stinkytofu
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

In Taiwan since: 05 Aug 2015

Postby sensAsian » 02 Sep 2015, 12:44

Both my brother and I have/had an ARC as dual citizens. Your potential buxiban owner has outdated/wrong info.

I would NOT get the national ID card under any circumstances. There is absolutely no benefit to it whatsoever.

Anyways, my bro did it get sorted out (kinda). He was able to renew his ARC.
sensAsian
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Desert Fox » 02 Nov 2015, 13:34

I would not get the ID card until I was sure I am no longer eligible to be drafted. I also have US and TW passports with no ID # on the latter one... About two years ago, I asked the immigration office about the requirements of getting an ID. Basically, just enter with your TW passport, fill out some paperwork and present several pieces of documents AND stay in TW for 366 days consecutively. The problem now however, is that if you stay past 365 days with your TW passport then you have to serve in the military!!! Don't be fooled! Just get an ARC with your non-TW passport and work until you are past 36/37, and then apply for the ID card.

If you are someone who left TW when young and obtained a passport from another country later on and decide to pop into TW for a visit and work, the authorities here may be able to match the name and picture in your new passport with their records, BUT they cannot force a foreign national to serve in their military. However, in their eyes, it is your duty to serve your country, why should you be able to live overseas for so long only to come back and cut in front of everybody? This is why they give you trouble on your ARC, to send you a message of, either serve your duty first or leave, because the current employment situation in TW is not good. I don't think you can circumvent this by legally changing your name because they are now taking fingerprints.
Desert Fox

In Taiwan since: 03 Feb 2016

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Dual Nationality