Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

US/TW passport holder, TARC eligibility question

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

US/TW passport holder, TARC eligibility question

Postby sauledievs » 12 May 2015, 08:57

My father is Taiwanese w/ TW passport, ID card, and I'm assuming household registry. My mother only has a US passport. I currently have both a US passport and Overseas Taiwan passport with no 身分證. Also, I am past the age of 20.

I am looking to get a TARC. I saw on another thread, the things necessary to have to get a TARC in my circumstances: ... 6&t=139907

1. Parents household registration
2. Parents IDs
3. FBI Clearance
4. Birth Certificate
5. Parents Marriage Certificate
6. Taiwan Medical Clearance
7. US and TW Passports.

The problem I have is that my father has already passed away, so I'm not clear if the first 2 are still possible. I have his old passport, but not his ID. Also, I'm not clear about where any household registration paper is, but may be able to find it when I go back to Taiwan. Would these documents still be considered valid for these purposes after death? If I am missing some of them, is there still a way to acquire some type of proof of them?

Has anyone been in this situation or does anyone know what I can do? Is it still possible for me to get a TARC in this way? If not, what are my options?

I contacted TECO Chicago with these questions and they basically just told me to ask elsewhere. Is there any other TW organization I could contact(in English, my Chinese is weak) to get more information on these things?
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 2
Joined: 12 May 2015, 03:47

Re: US/TW passport holder, TARC eligibility question

Postby andyhk888 » 01 Jul 2015, 01:37

Yes, the household registration document should be valid after his death. Basically you'll need to get an original computer print out of your fathers huji (registered household address) from the local household registration office where your father used to live. I would take your fathers death certificate to Taiwan and explain about the TARC application at the household registration office to try and get a print out there. I'm not sure if you can go to any local household registration office and look this up. If you can find your fathers ID card it has the registered household address on it, so that will show you what district office you need to visit. My understanding is you have to go to the local office in the district your father used to live and they will have the records there.
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 2
Joined: 08 Feb 2014, 12:24

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Dual Nationality

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests