Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Already in Taiwan, Need to Return to US for TW Passport?

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Already in Taiwan, Need to Return to US for TW Passport?

Postby thousandthgirl » 22 May 2015, 13:28

Hey all,

So here's my situation, which is slightly different from the typical "ABC girl with Taiwanese parents wanting to stay in Taiwan" thing. I am an ABC girl, over 20, and my parents are Taiwanese, with ROC passport and hukou. However, I've already been living in Taiwan and studying at National Taiwan University since 2012 - on an ARC. I never claimed my citizenship because I applied to NTU as a foreign student and their rules require that I cannot apply for my TW passport or ID until graduation. I've finally graduated, my ARC is now invalid because my final semester is ending. I am currently in Taiwan.

I've read up on the rules and know that I have to come back into the country on my TW passport, stay for 1 full year without leaving before I can get my ID. However, the question is concerning the fact that I am already in Taiwan, whereas it seems that most people are applying from the States and dealing with the US TECO.

I really don't want to have to make a trip back to the US just to get my TW passport; as my family, friends, etc are all here now, and I'm currently tied up with some projects here in Taiwan (I work as a freelance editor). Is there a way that I am able to:

A) apply for all the necessary components - i.e. FBI record through mail
B) send in all these components through mailing them to the US TECO (or applying in Taiwan) and getting the passport by mail

When I got my ARC for university in 2012, I remember doing the entire process by mail, as I was also already physically in Taiwan at that point. Relatives helped me gather some documents from my home in the US, sent them into the US TECO. I also mailed TECO a bunch of documents from Taiwan, and then the US TECO mailed some kind of approval back to me. I left for Hong Kong for a few days, and then came back on a student visa/ARC.

Could that same process work for obtaining my TW passport? That way I could just make a quick visa run to Hong Kong or Bangkok (where I actually have reason to be there, for work) and not have to go all the way back to the US.
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 2
Joined: 22 May 2015, 13:12
In Taiwan since: 08 Apr 2012

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Dual Nationality

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests