Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Adopted from Taiwan, do I still have Taiwanese citizenship and do I get drafted for military service?

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Adopted from Taiwan, do I still have Taiwanese citizenship and do I get drafted for military service?

Postby Icon » 29 Jul 2015, 11:04

andhei23 wrote:I do not know, because she didn't bother to introduce herself at all. It was just a "Hello?" and then I explained my situation. She said I could try to renounce my citizenship with all the forms which are apparently only in Chinese which I can not read or never return to Taiwan. That was all she said... It was a very short conversation. And she did not try to help me at all...I asked her about oversea Chinese but she just stopped me there as if it would be way too much work for her...(I might just be overreacting on this one though...I am really frustrated at this point)
Maybe my aunt will be more successful
But I am going to try to reach out for the bureau of consular affairs and ministry of foreign affairs in English maybe I will find someone competent there.

Get the right person: the Compatriot affairs guy/gal knows better about the draft issues. They should point out, for example, that after 36 years old you are not liable to be drafted anymore, so the person who answered the phone and told you never to come back is wrong on many levels. Pity you did not get her name, an official complaint is what she deserves. First of all because she gave you wrong information, second of all she shouldn't have said anything at all as it is not her competence/position. She gave you her opinion on the matter in a very unprofessional matter. Apologies for that.

Do not feel frustrated. It is just a misunderstanding, not the end of the world. Every problem has a solution. Otherwise you are dead, and then there are no problems at all. :)
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Re: Adopted from Taiwan, do I still have Taiwanese citizenship and do I get drafted for military service?

Postby andhei23 » 29 Jul 2015, 16:02

Thanks for the encouragement!
Do you know how long this procedure takes?
Because my brother is getting married in the beginning of october. I want to be there.
andhei23
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Icon » 29 Jul 2015, 16:12

andhei23 wrote:Thanks for the encouragement!
Do you know how long this procedure takes?
Because my brother is getting married in the beginning of october. I want to be there.

Depends on them but hopefully not that long. And it is not as if they are going to haul you from the airport into the barracks!

BTW, you should try the big office in Berlin, too. I mean, Frankfurt is not the main one. The representatives are in Berlin.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby andhei23 » 29 Jul 2015, 17:58

Oh you are right, they have an actual email address for that department unlike in Frankfurt thanks!
andhei23

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Mr He » 29 Jul 2015, 18:24

If everything else fails, go there in person. That will force them to deal with you.

The only time I dealt with something non-standard at the TECO office in Copenhagen, I got put through to the ambassador, she was most helpful, and when I later turned up in person, she helped me fill out the papers.
Jeg er hvad jeg er.

Bring Zain back!
Mr He
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Icon » 30 Jul 2015, 09:26

Mr He wrote:If everything else fails, go there in person. That will force them to deal with you.

The only time I dealt with something non-standard at the TECO office in Copenhagen, I got put through to the ambassador, she was most helpful, and when I later turned up in person, she helped me fill out the papers.

Exactly. Better go in person, if possible. face to face is a different story.

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby andhei23 » 06 Aug 2015, 19:33

Hey guys,

I got a response now "...we wish to inform you that you are still an ROC national if you applied for an ROC passport before and you have not given up ROC nationality officially. According to the Military Service Act, male nationals (with household registration in the Taiwan Area) of the Republic of China are obligated to take military service.
This Bureau suggests you to renew your ROC passport and obtain an Overseas Chinese status on your new ROC passport at any ROC Overseas Missions for deferred draft. "
The thing though is, my aunt asked a worker in the Tainan county, and even though they checked their records, they weren't sure if I still have a household registration. Apparently you have to renew it every 2 years or something like that which I didn't.
So I might just go to the TECO here in person, but its a very long drive (over 200km), therefore it would be best if I only had to go there once.
It would be great if you could tell me what is necessary for the application of a new passport, the chinese oversea status and the visa( if I actually need one)
I visited the website but it isn't quite clear to me how I am supposed to proof that I lived here for over 4 years "Original and photocopy of proof of period of foreign residence document" and so on.

Thanks
andhei23

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby fh2000 » 07 Aug 2015, 02:16

andhei23 wrote:The thing though is, my aunt asked a worker in the Tainan county, and even though they checked their records, they weren't sure if I still have a household registration. Apparently you have to renew it every 2 years or something like that which I didn't.
So I might just go to the TECO here in person, but its a very long drive (over 200km), therefore it would be best if I only had to go there once.
It would be great if you could tell me what is necessary for the application of a new passport, the chinese oversea status and the visa( if I actually need one)
I visited the website but it isn't quite clear to me how I am supposed to proof that I lived here for over 4 years "Original and photocopy of proof of period of foreign residence document" and so on.

Thanks

The 2 year criteria is correct. So, your first step is to renew your passport. When I renewed mine, I only took my old expired passport (expired for more than 20 years), and old household registration copy (no longer valid since old house has been turned down). Took photo on site. Paid some fee. That should be it.

You can ask them to mail new passport to you so you do not need to make a second trip.

I would call them to make sure this is all you need to prepare. When you call, be nice, and be patient. These folks respond to Chinese much better than other language. That is my experience due to the nuance of their language barrier.
fh2000
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby andhei23 » 07 Aug 2015, 16:34

Okay thanks!
Did you get an oversea Chinese certificate?

Well, my Chinese isn't that good though.
andhei23

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Dual Nationality