Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Different last names in Canadian/Taiwan passports

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Different last names in Canadian/Taiwan passports

Postby IzzyCat » 30 Sep 2015, 12:15

Hi,

First time user, I hope someone can help me.

My husband and I are both Canadians and we gave birth in Taiwan. Since I'm also Taiwanese, we decided to give our son my last name in Chinese. However, I didn't want our son to not have his dad's last name in there somewhere (dad's last name is also a Chinese-origin last name), so I put it on the English birth certificate.

So now this is what we have (using random example names):
English birth certificate: Christopher Tyler Su Chen (FirstEnglishName MiddleEnglishName DadsLastName MomsLastName)
Taiwanese household registration: Chen Bo Lin (MomsLastName ChineseName)

Now that we are looking to get a Canadian passport and citizenship certificate for our son, I'm wondering if I can treat his English last name as a double barrel last name and apply as:
OPTION 1
Surname: Su Chen
Given names: Christopher Tyler

Would it cause any problems if his English last name and Taiwanese last names don't match exactly? Am I just making life harder for my son? I could apply with the standard and safe:
OPTION 2
Surname: Chen
Given names: Christopher Tyler Su
... but I would really like him to use "Su" as his last name in Canada and give him the option to drop my last name informally.

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you!
IzzyCat
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Different last names in Canadian/Taiwan passports

Postby Ricarte » 30 Sep 2015, 15:49

Izzy, I fell your pain. My wife and I passed by the same struggle but finally reached our goal.

First of all, if you want your son to use "Su" as his last name, you should give him "Su" as the last name, instead of the second last, and "Christopher Tyler Chen Su" would be the full name. You could then go with either option 1 or 2, as the result would be as you wanted from the beginning...

For my experience (I'm Brazilian and my wife is Taiwanese), our son have my last name in Portuguese and my wife's last name in Chinese. We had that in the birth certificate (one name in the English one and another in the Chinese) and in the household registration transcript. That means that in the English version of the HRT he will have my last name as well.

To register him in the Brazilian office, they only required the English birth certificate and I guess the Canadian will ask for the same. If you register his English name in the household registration transcript, his passport will contain the same English name as his Canadian passport.

Finally, I don't see trouble for him in the future since he will only use his Chinese name in Taiwan.

P.S.: Since the birth certificate is issued by the hospital and not a government agency, it may be possible to make the change, I'm not sure. If you really want, it worth a try :wink:
P.P.S.: My son not only have different last names in Portuguese and Chinese but different names as well.
P.P.P.S: I also have a different Chinese name and last name than my English/Portuguese one. I even took my wife's Chinese last name after marriage. :)
Ricarte
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

In Taiwan since: 28 Apr 2008

Postby IzzyCat » 01 Oct 2015, 14:45

Thank you, Ricarte, for your reply. It's quite confusing, isn't it? But I'm glad to know that it's doable. Thank you!
IzzyCat

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Ricarte » 02 Oct 2015, 10:55

IzzyCat wrote:Thank you, Ricarte, for your reply. It's quite confusing, isn't it? But I'm glad to know that it's doable. Thank you!

Yes, it is!

Feel free to PM me if you need more details.
Ricarte

In Taiwan since: 28 Apr 2008

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Dual Nationality