Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

getting a Taiwanese citizenship

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: getting a Taiwanese citizenship

Postby milkeu » 22 May 2016, 11:59

kaikai34 wrote:Does your father have citizenship? You need to have at least one parent with the ID card to be able to apply for (dual) citizenship and there's no need to give up your current mysterious citizenship. If you don't have a parent then you will have to go the naturalization route giving up your current citizenship but that process is completely different. You would not get a Taiwanese passport first and you have to live in Taiwan for something like 5 or 6 years before you can become a citizen.
Read this thread.
Applying as an overseas Taiwanese seems to me a much easier route.

He doesn't. :/ So I need to go through the naturalization process? I thought the passport itself would be enough, since the requirements said ROC passport, Taiwan ID card, or Taiwan Household Registration Certificate, and the fact that my mom has the passport but both my grandparents were Chinese.

fh2000 wrote:You have some good advise already. My wife and I are dual citizen (US and Taiwan). We went to TECO and got our 2 kids their Taiwan passports. It is very simple. Just one visit, and we showed them our own passports and their relationship with us. Paid something like $35 us dollars for each. A week or so later, they got their passports, and an
'Entry permit' sticker. Both valid for 10 years. This is the process if you are 20 years and younger.

I am not sure if my ABC kids would want to stay in Taiwan. We did this for them just so they have an option if they do want to . My wife and I do plan to come back to Taiwan after we retire.

Don't think too hard about it. Give your local TECO a call and ask about your own specific situation. They are very friendly and eager to assist Taiwanese. If you have never dealt with Taiwanese official workers, your will be very pleasantly surprised.

I do hope it is that easy, but I'll have to call them to ask to be sure, especially since my mom only holds a Taiwan passport. ^^ Thank you, though! :D
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 7
Joined: 05 May 2016, 21:24

Re: getting a Taiwanese citizenship

Postby nalptraum » 01 Jul 2016, 01:16

Age of majority in Taiwan is 20, so until 19 you're considered a minor for all intents and purposes. Wikipedia's article on Taiwanese passport is surprisingly complete - - and what distinguishes a citizen from a national who does not have the right to reside in Taiwan indefinitely is if they have an ID number (not necessarily the physical ID).

If the person is registered or can be registered in a household, they can apply for an ID, an ID number will then be assigned and the physical card printed. The person should then apply for a new passport, which will contain their ID number.

If your mother has a Taiwanese passport with ID number, she's a citizen, otherwise she's a national without household registration. Either way, you can still have a Taiwanese passport without ID number by submitting proof of your mom's ROC nationality (passport), making you a national without household registration. If she's a citizen and since you're a minor, I believe you may still establish household registration, but this has to be done in Taiwan - and you'll need all sorts of authenticated documents, translations: birth certificate, parent's marriage certificate, etc., but only the proper office can give you a detailed list.

If she's not a citizen, then you must live in Taiwan for either (1) continuously for one year, (2) 270 days per year for two years, or (3) 183 days per year for five years. Once you have fulfilled this requirement you may establish household registration. This process does not equal naturalization, you'll never be required to relinquish any citizenship you currently have.
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 3
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 17:10

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Dual Nationality

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests