The quest for dual nationality - what's the next step?

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby Vannyel » 09 May 2004, 15:39

I am not sure about Brits but for us Americans the 'average' person (or family) can't afford to take a trip abroad every year, every two years or even every five years. Granted that might not qualify as wealthy but it's certainly above average. :wink:
Well you mentioned some good legitimate reasons for living in Taiwan for a long period and that's great. Now, may I ask how exactly will any of this would change if you have dual citizenship? :help:
I think it is obvious that each country is unique and has the RIGHT to decide how it wants to handle immigration issues.
My coworkers just concluded a lengthy discussion on how difficult it is for an immigrant to get U.S. citizenship, how unfair the system is, and several other points.
They also mentioned that it's very difficult to attain Taiwanese citizenship EVEN for people willing to give up their old citizenship.
I searched the web and this site but the links to the requirements are down (or broken) since I really haven't thought about Taiwanese citizenship although maybe I should try since it seems to be a popular topic here and I am too old to worry about the military requirement and I am not that attached to my U.S. citizenhip at the moment ( George has done a good job of seeing to that) and I do like Taiwan - do you know where I can find a list of the requirements? :notworthy:
Vannyel
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Hartzell » 09 May 2004, 21:13

A friend of mine in Taichung has been living in Taiwan nearly 40 years, and is coming up to retirement time at the age of 65. At that point, he said that he would like to do some extended travelling around the globe, and would plan to wind that up in two or three years, and then return to Taiwan. During these two or three years, he would expect to be in Taiwan for only a few days each year . . . . if that.

Does permanent residency allow him to do this? No. He would have to have Taiwan citizenship in order to have the liberty to leave Taiwan for a couple years and then have the right to come back and continue living here permanently. (The "exceptions" to the 183 day physical presence requirement for permanent residents do not apply to criteria such as "extended foreign travel.")
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at rwh.midway@gmail.com
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

18 Recognized(s)

Postby Vannyel » 09 May 2004, 23:10

Of course you are right Hartzell, your friend would have to just settle for a landing visa for the next two or three years...and when he came back he would have to start all over again. But then again...he knew this almost 40 years ago..didn't he? :wink:
Vannyel
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Spack » 10 May 2004, 00:29

Vannyel wrote:Of course you are right Hartzell, your friend would have to just settle for a landing visa for the next two or three years...and when he came back he would have to start all over again. But then again...he knew this almost 40 years ago..didn't he? :wink:

Meaning what? That he should not hope to obtain dual nationality because he 'knew the score' when he first arrived in Taiwan forty years ago? I fail to see the logic.

Can we turn our attention now to practical suggestions about how to proceed? Are there any legislators who might be interested in helping long-term residents obtain dual nationality?
Spack
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Hartzell » 10 May 2004, 07:33

The PFP Legislator Daniel Huang has been actively researching this topic with me over the last few years. (A possible romanization of his name is Huang2 Yi4 Jiao1.)
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at rwh.midway@gmail.com
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell

18 Recognized(s)

Postby Traveller » 10 May 2004, 09:03

Spack, just on a point of order, unless the rules in UK have been changed from the time when my first wife obtained UK citizenship, then your Taiwanese wife WOULD be required to give up her ROC citizenship by the UK authorities.

The UK does not allow for the obtaining of dual nationality other than by birth, even a US citizen wanting to take up UK citizenship would have to relinquish their US passport etc.
Traveller
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

Postby Big Fluffy Matthew » 10 May 2004, 09:14

Traveller wrote:Spack, just on a point of order, unless the rules in UK have been changed from the time when my first wife obtained UK citizenship, then your Taiwanese wife WOULD be required to give up her ROC citizenship by the UK authorities.

The UK does not allow for the obtaining of dual nationality other than by birth, even a US citizen wanting to take up UK citizenship would have to relinquish their US passport etc.
Bollocks

http://www.webbimmigration.com/uk_resid ... ATIONALITY
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/default.asp?PageId=151
Er.... thingy.
Forumosan avatar
Big Fluffy Matthew
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Traveller » 10 May 2004, 09:29

Matthew, as and when my first wife took up her UK nationality it was not bollocks. She had no option to relinquish her Singapore nationality. However, as this was a years ago, i accept that the rules have changed, hence stating that fact that thye might have in the original post.
Traveller

Postby Big Fluffy Matthew » 10 May 2004, 09:38

Traveller wrote:Matthew, as and when my first wife took up her UK nationality it was not bollocks. She had no option to relinquish her Singapore nationality.
That is because Singapore does not allow dual nationality, Article 134 of the Singapore constitution would force her to give up her Singapore nationality if she takes another nationality, not UK law.
http://www.oefre.unibe.ch/law/icl/sn00000_.html#A134_
I think that's what you were thinking of.
Er.... thingy.
Forumosan avatar
Big Fluffy Matthew
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Traveller » 10 May 2004, 10:01

Matthew, at the time, neither allowed for it. UK or Singapore, however as this was nigh on 20 years ago i imagine th elaws have changed during the meanwhile.
Traveller

PreviousNext

x

Return to Dual Nationality